QUICKIE COURT

Guest · 3701

4krow

on: March 15, 2013, 02:53:41 PM
I've been a bad bad boy. I didn't pay thaaaat much attention to the instructions. So I wasn't very surprised when things weren't right at the 'checkout'. So, let's get right to my case. I plead guilty to the charge of arrogance. And now, here are the findings:
     Per Quickie voltage readings(w/PJCCS installed)
 1)  Terminal 1=39V,  5=23V
 2)  Terminal 2(OA on PJCCS board)=38.8V,   6(OB)=22.6V
 3)  Terminal 5=0V,  10=0V
 4)  Terminal 4=4.6V,  9=1.9V
 5)  Rotary C=3.2V,  D=5.1V    A,B=0V

Per PJCCS voltage readings
 1)  1A=39.6V,  1B=39.6V
 2)  A6=24.6V,  B6=38.9V
 3)  A5=1.9V,    B5=3.84V(not good for the filament, I'm sure!)

Checked what I could and before these readings, I did correct a few errors. Now, at this point, it is time for  educated  help. I am still shaking my head as to why I think I can just slap it together because it's so simple.

Your thoughts people.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 03:29:24 PM
Strikes me that the B tube cathode is not connected to the 1K cathode resistor, or maybe it's the wrong resistor. Check resistance B5 to ground; the bypass capacitor will make that reading take a long time .... I guess "time served" making the measurement is your sentence, if my guess is correct.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 05:15:07 PM by Paul Joppa »

Paul Joppa

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 04:27:23 PM
Hey Greg - what I would do is take out the PJCCS, put the resistors back in, and go from there. I dont know, just simplifies things. Now, I hope you were a good boy and used the stock parts first right?

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

4krow

Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 07:06:05 PM
Ok, guys, I get it. Square one, here I come.

Paul, I was thinking the same thing about the cathode resistor being the wrong, but it was ok. I'll keep looking.

And Eric, yah, good point. I'll take out the 'PJ' tomm. I've been mixing it up a bit and working on the base. So far there, I've learned that you can't cover up ANY mistakes with a coat of paint. It actually amplifies it! Damn..

Offline underdawg

Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 08:34:46 AM
im contemplating putting thje pcjj in today, but i like the sound so much why do it?

4krow

Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 09:57:57 AM
I am about to find out. The last 'Q' I built also had the PJCCS and I just can't tell you how happy I was with the sound. I have decided to try this one W/O the upgrade to compare. Of course, in the meantime, I will trouble shoot the 'PJ' to see what I did this time that was wrong. To help answer your question though, the upgrade is to help maintain current flow to the 'Q' as I understand it. It is considered a good upgrade for the Q, but I also would like to try the choke upgrade. SO many options. Even battery choice can have some effect on the sound as batteries can have a sort of noise of their own due to discharge. I never had thought of that sort of thing till it was mentioned in one of these forums. It is so cool to learn here. I had worked with very large batteries for years, and thought that a battery was a battery until my company started to try other types. Wet cells are still the best in my opinion. ANYWAY, I'll keep you posted.

Offline underdawg

Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 01:15:02 PM
I tried few different batteries and settled on enercell by radio shack, alkaline batteries.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 04:14:23 PM by underdawg »

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 01:27:16 PM
Hey Greg - I tend to believe that there may be some truth to the 'wet cell' theory. Batteries are not free from 'noise'. Its worth experimenting. I was surprised to find that I liked high power NiMH over lower amperage LiPo4. Not sure though. Lots of psycho wacko shit here.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

4krow

Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 06:32:21 AM
Update, I have removed the 'PJ' and the Q works fine. Being the experimenter that I am, I have ordered two chokes to drop in. In the meantime, I will take a closer look at the PJ to see what I might have miss-wired. Assuming that I did make some mistake, could the transistors or voltage regulators be damaged?

Offline underdawg

Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 04:50:24 AM
It is possible of damaged to silicon parts but if you can use an ohm meter, pull the parts and check them, if you have a diode tester on your meter you can check diodes and transistors, most fluke meters have this option.

4krow

Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 03:42:47 PM
HA HA HA-HA-HAHA! I just installed  those Hammond chokes that I threatened to try earlier. On the onset, I like the soundstage that is deepened by them. It is a darker sound, and the only complaint is that I might have to move the Q up onto the roof, where there may be no hum.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, 03:45:39 PM
I solved the hum by grounding the Quickie to the DAC/amp etc.

Eric

Offline corndog71

Reply #12 on: March 27, 2013, 04:40:42 PM
HA HA HA-HA-HAHA! I just installed  those Hammond chokes that I threatened to try earlier. On the onset, I like the soundstage that is deepened by them. It is a darker sound, and the only complaint is that I might have to move the Q up onto the roof, where there may be no hum.

What output caps are you using?

The world was made for those not cursed with self-awareness.

Rob

Offline Wormwood

Reply #13 on: March 27, 2013, 07:36:27 PM
Update, I have removed the 'PJ' and the Q works fine. Being the experimenter that I am, I have ordered two chokes to drop in. In the meantime, I will take a closer look at the PJ to see what I might have miss-wired. Assuming that I did make some mistake, could the transistors or voltage regulators be damaged?

Greg,

What chocks did you order and where did you order from?

Cheers,
Stephen

4krow

Reply #14 on: March 28, 2013, 04:23:34 AM
Well, I have installed Solen caps. That is hard to say what/if they affected the sound to the dark side since they were installed at the same time as the chokes.
 I chose Hammond chokes, and wonder if Magnaquest makes chokes with the same values. I got them from a place in N.Y. called ....dam, Eric, what is the name of that place?
  Interesting thing,  last night as I was messing around with the Q hum, I discovered two things: The Q is NOT responsible for all the hum. An old Carver unit is part of it, and to a much snmaller degree, my integrated amp has a little. The Q itself may be only amplifying the existing hum when turned up. ALSO, I have to tell you guys, I just HAD to see what was inside my old Yamaha SACD player. Good lord! No wonder it sold for $1,000 new. Pretty impressive innards.