SOME NEWBIE ADVICE: A good, basic soldering iron!

rebbi · 7815

Offline rebbi

on: November 09, 2009, 04:34:00 PM
Hi,

In the course of building a Seduction and then recently adding in the C4S kit, I (soldering newbie) went through 3 soldering irons -- including one from Radio Shack which, like everything else I've ever bought there, stopped working after the first project.

I finally went to Fry's and bought a Weller HE35 iron, and all I can say is that had I found it first, I'd have had a much easier time building my Seduction the first time around. It wasn't the cheapest iron (39 bucks) but it's such a pleasure to work with: a nice, hot, smallish tip, and the solder flows beautifully.

Just passing along some hard won advice to other kit-building newbs.  :-)

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 01:33:02 AM
I have used an old one for decades.  Old gusy like me think the older products were made better, I hope I am wrong.  I'm a big supporter of Weller.  They were pretty much the best available back in the 60s and 70s.

I'm not surprised that it outlasted a RS iron.  I owned one of those when I first started in the 60s and it was junk back then.  

Just a suggestion, after every solder joint, before putting it on the rest, wipe the tip on a wet sponge and the tip will last almost forever.  I developed that habit and my first tip lasted 30+ years.

Enjoy the hobby!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 05:57:15 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline rebbi

Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 02:21:36 AM

Just a suggestion, after every solder joint, before putting it on the rest, wipe the tip on a wet sponge and the tip will last almost forever.  I developed that habit and my first tip lasted 30+ years.

Enjoy the hobby!

Yeah, as I said, I have never bought anything from RS that didn't break in short order. Even a mini-plug to mini-plug cable for plugging my iPod into my car stereo developed a crackling short after a few months.

I recently bought a set of little electronics screw drivers from them. Tried to use the little Phillips head to loosen the retaining screw to replace the RS soldering iron tip. Guess what? The Phillips head snapped AND managed to strip the screw in the soldering iron! A perfect storm of RS crappiness.  :-)

I also had a Hakko iron, but it was underpowered and I had to hold the tip to the parts for a frightening amount of time to get the solder to melt. But there's nothing like finding the right tool for the job. It's so satisfying to make a perfect solder joint... hard to describe the sense of satisfaction.

I see what you mean about wiping the tip on the wet sponge. After using the iron to build and install the Seduction C4S kit, the tip is still nice and shiny.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 02:23:30 AM by rebbi »

Offline Grainger49

Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 02:44:06 AM
Rebbi,

Having a good tool makes every guy happy!  Had to say it.

Yeah, as I said, I have never bought anything from RS that didn't break in short order. Even a mini-plug to mini-plug cable for plugging my iPod into my car stereo developed a crackling short after a few months.

I recently bought a set of little electronics screw drivers from them. Tried to use the little Phillips head to loosen the retaining screw to replace the RS soldering iron tip. Guess what? The Phillips head snapped AND managed to strip the screw in the soldering iron! A perfect storm of RS crappiness.  :-)

I also had a Hakko iron, but it was underpowered and I had to hold the tip to the parts for a frightening amount of time to get the solder to melt. But there's nothing like finding the right tool for the job. It's so satisfying to make a perfect solder joint... hard to describe the sense of satisfaction.

I see what you mean about wiping the tip on the wet sponge. After using the iron to build and install the Seduction C4S kit, the tip is still nice and shiny.

Those screw driver sets have changed.  I have an Archer screwdriver set, one big handle and 6 little screwdrivers, and a matching small nut driver set.  The plastic boxes are falling apart but only because they sit where the sun bakes them.  Paul and I have used them on many of his projects when he travels here to sling some solder.  They are from the late 60s or very early 70s.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 02:46:38 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Grainger49

Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 03:10:28 AM
Rebbi,

I just started a thread on basic tools:

Starter and Advanced Tool Thread

I'll be adding suggestions to the list at the top as they come in.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 07:22:59 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Air

• Open wine w/ a pocketknife? No Problemo
Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 07:00:44 AM
follow Graingers new tool thread. I found a Tenma solder station on sale for under $15. see other thread for my post. -Chuck

Chuck McCalment    Linn TT- Seduction (C4S), EFPIII, Parabees's w/ shunt reg and DC heaters. Nava interconnects, homebrew power and speaker cables,  Homemade three way & S8's w/ ribbons for Christmas.
a Technics RS1500 that needs a little love.