Surprise!

Doc B. · 23662

Offline wullymc

Reply #30 on: June 08, 2013, 08:37:44 AM
. But the easiest thing to do is just turn the volume all the way up on the Crack.

Hi Doc,

Would it be wise though to upgrade the Pot in the Crack to a Blue Alps or TDK and then put it at 10?...and then use the Submissive to control the volume.  Would you hear a difference by upgrading the pot in the Crack, or would you just leave the pot as is and just spend the money on the Submissive? (basically is there an audio difference between the stock pot at full and a Blue Alps, TDK pot at full?)

Thanks...Dave

Dave
Project RPM5.1 with 2M Bronze/Graham Slee Era Gold V/Quickie with PJCSS/Paramount 1.1 300B/Woden Valiant

ODAC/Crack/DT880 600ohm

Current Project:  Beepre!!!

4krow

Reply #31 on: June 08, 2013, 09:14:27 AM
Just my opinion, but if I were going to use NONE of the track of the volume control, I might as well bypass it.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #32 on: June 08, 2013, 10:04:01 AM
I go along with Greg, the best pot is no pot at all, the best cap is no cap at all (that is a quote from Paul Joppa) and the rest.  So if you don't want to use the Crack volume control, replace it with a fixed, 0.1%, designer, $10 resistor. 

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #33 on: June 08, 2013, 04:28:05 PM
If the pot is up all the way, it's acts as a pair of 100K input resistors (expensive ones at that).  None of the pot's resistive track will be in series with the signal.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

4krow

Reply #34 on: June 08, 2013, 05:18:20 PM
Ummm, does no woman is better than an expensive woman apply here to the pot rational?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #35 on: June 08, 2013, 06:08:01 PM
Well, you need some resistance from input to ground to keep the grid voltage at (or very close to) 0V.  The pot all the way up will just act like a ~92K carbon resistor.
-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Grainger49

Reply #36 on: June 09, 2013, 03:10:35 AM
Ummm, does no woman is better than an expensive woman apply here to the pot rational?

Nope, only applies to components in a circuit.

Offline wullymc

Reply #37 on: June 09, 2013, 02:01:02 PM
Thanks. Guys,

I appreciate your input.

So no upgraded pot and spend the money on the Submissive!

Dave
Project RPM5.1 with 2M Bronze/Graham Slee Era Gold V/Quickie with PJCSS/Paramount 1.1 300B/Woden Valiant

ODAC/Crack/DT880 600ohm

Current Project:  Beepre!!!

4krow

Reply #38 on: June 09, 2013, 03:23:19 PM
I really like the idea of the Submissive. So much so, I have used similar ideas in my builds...not going back anytime soon.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #39 on: June 10, 2013, 01:49:37 PM
Do the experiments yourself! Listen critically with the stock pot, then with Submissive (stock pot all the way up), and - eventually - disconnect the stock pot entirely. Each step is easily reversed, and you will learn a bunch.

Paul Joppa

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #40 on: June 10, 2013, 04:10:57 PM
I havent noticed much if any difference between a pot at full volume and one that was removed from the circuit. I hoped for more. Not there. Its fun though, when you have various options of what you are going to use as your preamp. I have found that the digital attenuation seems to be the least desirable way of attenuation.. so far.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #41 on: June 10, 2013, 05:40:20 PM
Its funny, I'm doing that now with my sub amp. I have a T-amp in front of my Crown. I think its better to run the Crown at full volume and adjust the T-amp accordingly. That could change...

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline madbrayniak

Reply #42 on: December 16, 2013, 07:08:14 AM
I wanted to post this here instead of making a new thread.

I have made it known in other threads that I want a HT bypass in my tube preamp so that I can have tube based gear for music and then then run my receiver through it for movies/tv.

Would the Submissive work as pretty much the ultimate HT Bypass?

Run my Quickie and my AVR through it?....I dont want to have to have my tube preamp on while watching a movie and waste tube life...

Offline aragorn723

Reply #43 on: July 23, 2014, 04:22:45 PM
Spot on Dave!

I put the Submissive in front of my Quickie today, I'm very pleased with the results!

what was the sonic benefit when doing this?

Dave