Northwest alder wood base

Gary PC · 4425

Offline Gary PC

on: June 29, 2013, 09:28:32 AM
The Pacific Northwest Alder wood base looks awesome, yet I have a block of Rosewood I would like to use.

What please are the LxWxD dimensions of the aluminium plate and the overall height of the standard wood base?  Also what are the inside box dimensions or alternatively what is the width of the rabbet or ledge that the plate sits in - thank you,
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 06:22:05 PM by Gary PC »

- Gary
JRiver Media Center with headphone crossfeed
CAL Alpha DAC & Delta CD, Headroom Max (needs repair) Grado RS1 Plinius SA-100 Epos ELS3 Magnepan Mini Maggies (ordered)
iPad FiiO E17 DACamp Beyerdynamic DT-1350
Bottlehead Mainline (ordered) AKG-K702, Sennheiser HD600 or 800 or? undecided

4krow

Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 10:32:25 AM
Gary,
 Of course someone will have an answer for you shortly, but I just had to chime in and say I hope you can use the rosewood for the base. What a beautiful wood that is. I got a bunch for a steal and used it on my speakers. Best buy ever.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 05:00:01 AM
The panel is 12" x 12" x .100" The bases are about 3-1/2" tall.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Gary PC

Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 11:31:43 AM
Thank you!   My that is a good size, larger than I imagined by an inch or even two each way. 
From the photos on the website it looks like a 1/8" ledge will be about right as there are screws for the output jacks quite close to the bottom right corner.  Besides I can always fine tune the ledge in spots with a round file later, perhaps even starting with a 1/4" ledge.  From my seated position I might taper the box so the front of it is lower than the back.

Thank you.

- Gary
JRiver Media Center with headphone crossfeed
CAL Alpha DAC & Delta CD, Headroom Max (needs repair) Grado RS1 Plinius SA-100 Epos ELS3 Magnepan Mini Maggies (ordered)
iPad FiiO E17 DACamp Beyerdynamic DT-1350
Bottlehead Mainline (ordered) AKG-K702, Sennheiser HD600 or 800 or? undecided

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 11:46:59 AM
If you found that those screws were bumping into your wood, you could fill the holes in the chassis with epoxy, drill and tap them for a 4-40 thread, then use very short screws that don't poke through the chassis plate.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

4krow

Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 12:07:21 PM
Yup, I agree, that if you have to get a little creative it's worth it for the full effect.