S.E.X. and Horns anyone???

Capt.Z · 16327

Offline Capt.Z

Reply #15 on: February 03, 2010, 11:55:11 AM
Dieter,

I'd just get the enabled-only basic drivers and just listen to them yourself -- maybe after living with the stock drivers for a while.  The Planet 10 drivers are nice, but there's no such thing as a free lunch and those may change the sound more than you might like.  I liked them myself, a few folks didn't, and I can't even begin to predict whether you will or not, but I can say that it will not be the sound of the Horn as it was designed.  I do think that the basic enabled driver only brings good things, and more than just the sense that a new driver sounds like a broken-in one/.

Jim;

What kind of changes do you hear between the stock end enabled driver?

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #16 on: February 03, 2010, 12:44:35 PM
I would give the stock drivers a good long listen before you decide to enable them, not to knock the process.

I think the stock drivers take a good while to open up. I had a chance to listen to listen to the horns with enabled drivers, they sounded good but I had no chance to compare them.

The BB

John Scanlon

Offline Capt.Z

Reply #17 on: February 03, 2010, 02:51:58 PM
Has anyone ever tried filling the upper cavity behind the driver? There is a huge cavity that is not part of the horn.

A picture of the horn innards can be seen here.
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/hornshoppe/innards.jpg

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #18 on: February 03, 2010, 03:45:33 PM
As for the EnABLed drivers, they just sound more focused over the entire spectrum and IMO, the driver has much less of a tendancy to shout at you, but it loses much of that in the break-in process.  I've had several different drivers treated and they have all pretty much responded the same in terms of sound improvements.

As for the rear chamber, several folks have tried filling it and everybody says that it was pretty much a total bust and that it did nothing -- good or bad.

Out of all the tweaks, I'm sticking with the BBs or shot as the most cost effective and most clearly audible.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline DeadFish

Reply #19 on: February 03, 2010, 04:43:23 PM

Out of all the tweaks, I'm sticking with the BBs or shot as the most cost effective and most clearly audible.

-- Jim

Thanks, Jim!
I've about 40lbs of shot left over from owning Vandersteens, and I had been 'under-motivated' to pop a hole in the Horns.
I guess I'm tipped into trying it, as I'm pretty satisfied with the Horns backed into a corner.
Good thread, fellas!

DF

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #20 on: February 03, 2010, 06:19:40 PM
i agree with the above...John

John Scanlon

Offline Grainger49

Reply #21 on: February 04, 2010, 03:43:48 AM
This is what I was referring to, and why I asked who filled them.  Thanks to David for the help.

Horn Shoppe Optional Grills

Offline Capt.Z

Reply #22 on: February 04, 2010, 12:31:22 PM
Ha ha ha; perfect fit.

I just picked up my Horns and Ed told me the story about those 'grills'. But I better let him tell you the story.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #23 on: February 04, 2010, 12:46:45 PM
I hope I didn't do something wrong by posting his picture here.  He has such a good sense of humor I didn't think he would mind.

Offline Capt.Z

Reply #24 on: February 04, 2010, 12:48:09 PM
There are no official grills for the horns. :-(

Offline chrisby

• commercial site:
Reply #25 on: February 05, 2010, 09:14:10 AM
There are no official grills for the horns. :-(

well, I think that Ed has suggested that for a quick "solution" (i.e. he likely doesn't consider it a problem?) the Fostex grille can be affixed to the speaker mounting screws with rare earth magnets glued to the grilles

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=253

of course if you're reveneering the cabinets, magnets could be recessed under the veneer and you're free to use any grille you like - including MDF frames with magnets in matching locations.  4 of the little 1/4" x 1/4" rare earth rod magnets are more than strong enough. 

Chris Bobiak
Victoria BC Canada

you don't really believe everything you think, do you?

Offline Capt.Z

Reply #26 on: February 05, 2010, 03:16:02 PM
I've seen a picture online of the Horns somewhere with these grills but cannot find it at the moment.

Offline Capt.Z

Reply #27 on: February 07, 2010, 07:32:59 AM
Here is a picture I found online

Offline Capt.Z

Reply #28 on: February 07, 2010, 07:33:53 AM
And a close up.