Recently developed problem

clauswitz · 2336

Offline clauswitz

on: May 07, 2013, 06:05:24 PM
I've been using this amp for awhile now but just recently it's stopped working for the left channel, odd thing is that if I turn it off and let it sit for awhile when I turn it back on both channels work for awhile, in addition both channels work for a moment when I turn it off. Any advice on what I can do to figure out what went wrong and how to fix it would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 06:12:39 PM
Start with voltages and resistances (but mostly voltages).

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline clauswitz

Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 06:17:16 PM
Worth check voltages as soon as turn it on and then later once the left channel stops working?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 06:31:18 PM
Yes, when the left channel dies, there may be a funny voltage accompanying it.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline clauswitz

Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 10:40:47 PM
Wow I really should have looked at what I was typing in the previous post.
Anyways all the voltages are ok except A1 which is fine when the left channel is working but is 0 when it wasn't. I didn't actually try to figure out what it was in the moment that it cuts out as that would be PITA to do but if its really necessary I can do that.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 04:51:31 AM
0V at A1 is an unusual value, some likely causes are:

A bad solder joint on the wire from A1 to terminal 5.

A bad solder joint on the 22K resistor from terminal 4 to terminal 5.

A bad solder joint on the wire from terminal 4 to terminal 5.

Let us know what you find in this area.  Frankly, I would just reheat all of these joints for good measure. 

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline clauswitz

Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 12:46:58 AM
I did as suggested and I everything seems fixed (left it on for an hour and the voltage on a1 still checked out). Thank you for your help, without it I'd have been pretty lost.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 10:53:23 AM
Awesome!

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline clauswitz

Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 07:12:50 PM
DAMNIT, and apparently I didn't leave it on long enough. I can trying doing the same thing once again or I have no idea actually. Is it possible the tube is starting to go bad? As this tube has alot of hours on it.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 07:25:49 PM
Eh, a tube that dies tends to get weak and distorted before it poops out, but it would be worth giving it a shot. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline clauswitz

Reply #10 on: May 13, 2013, 10:41:38 AM
Ok redid all the points again, and left it on overnight at which point I was still getting voltage on point A1. Started using it and the left channel still cuts out, though apparently if i turn the volume up it will come back. I have not yet switched out tubes as I'd need to order those most likely. At this point is it worth ordering tubes? If so should I replace both or just one of them?
It does sound as if the left channel is distorted when it is there but I'm unsure if I'm hearing it because I think it should be there or if it's actually there.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #11 on: May 13, 2013, 06:11:29 PM
Reheat the solder joints on the volume control.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline clauswitz

Reply #12 on: May 14, 2013, 09:17:23 AM
Did that though I realized that I didn't explain how it worked correctly, if I turn the volume up the left channel comes back and stays even when I reduce the volume back to the previous level, other then that sound level does track the volume control and the left channel isn't any quieter then the right.

At this point I think it might actually be the headphones which I have to admit I didn't really even consider at the beginning as the odds of something made professionally breaking versus the odds of me having screwed up the first thing I've soldered together ever seemed rather in favor of my amp being the cause. I managed to borrow a pair of headphones from a friend and so far everything seems to work with those.
If this is the case I have no clue how I screwed up the voltage reading on A1 though (besides apparently incompetence).
There should be nothing that would cause this to happen on one set of headphones and not another correct? (borrowed headphones have much lower impedence and massively higher sensetivity).

Thank you for your help in this, though I am sorry that I appear to have wasted your time.

Offline BNAL

Reply #13 on: May 14, 2013, 10:11:33 AM
I have been there as well. When troubleshooting a problem, I would think it was because of one thing only to to find out hour or days later it was something else.

Brad Nalitt
Iron Upgraded S.E.X. Amp 2.0
Foreplay III
Quickie w/PJCCS
Eros Phono
Blumenstein Orca Speakers, Baby Benthic Subs
S.E.X.y Speakers W/FT17H Horn Tweeters
Thorens TD 125 MkII W/ Shure M97xE JICO SAS Stylus

Offline grufti

Reply #14 on: May 14, 2013, 12:49:57 PM
There is another recent thread under the Crack heading Subject: "Music only playing through one ear". That one has been quiet since I asked: "Have you plugged your headphones into another amp recently to make sure that your headphone cable and/or your headphones are OK?"

I have ultimately found so many problems, where I had never thought to look initially, that questioning cables, connectors, power supplies, whatever has become a bad habit of mine. Finding the problem is all that matters, who cares how.