Power cycling philosophy?

mpeg2 · 2246

Offline mpeg2

on: May 13, 2013, 07:04:06 AM
I just finished a Crack amp & am using it in my office (Macbook Itunes ->Crack -> AKG K240 600 ohm) - the sound is wonderful.

I'm trying to figure out the best philosophy on when to leave it on when away from the office. I think that if I'm going to be away for a few hours, its probably best to turn the amp off - but what would be the lower limit??? Power cycling too often would probably be harmful - but leaving it on unused for a long period of time might be deleterious as well.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
   Rich

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 09:36:45 AM
The old rule was one hour; I think the basis for that is pretty shaky, though it's probably between 0.1 hour and 10 hours. Personally, I don't like to leave tube gear running if nobody's around, especially if I built it myself.  :^)

Paul Joppa

Offline mpeg2

Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 11:57:14 AM
Paul: Thanks. For the time being, I'll probably go with 1/2 hour.

Rich

Offline adamct

• Maxxximum CAPacity Crack
Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 02:28:36 PM
Out of curiosity, why leave the amp on if you're not using it? The tubes on my Crack heat up quite quickly, even from a cold start. Why not just turn it off, and then back on again when you get back?

Best regards,
Adam

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 03:21:27 PM
I'm way too OCD to leave the gear on! It just goes against the grain of everything I hold 'dear'. I do notice an improvement with my system sound with warm-up. Its not just the tubes. IMO the amp improves the most. Not a scientific observation at all. From the way I see it, I fire up the gear, grab a libation, put a couple of steaks on the grill, by the time I'm ready to sit down the magic is in full bloom.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline mpeg2

Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 04:15:57 PM
I'm using the amp in my office. I seem to recall that each power cycle on a tube reduces its life a bit. If I walk out of my office for 10 minutes, it doesn't seem to make sense turning it off - but if I'm away for an hour it does. Just trying to figure out the right balance.

Rich

Offline denti alligator

Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 05:00:48 PM
If I leave the house, the amps get turned off. If I'm listening to something and then need to do something else with the strong likelihood of putting more music on later, I often leave them on. With the Quickie, I'm a bit more conscious of battery life, so that's another story. The SEX amp, though, sometimes stays on for half a day. I try not to power on and off more than 2-3 in a day. Preferably (and most commonly) only once or twice: in the morning, in the evening.

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 05:18:16 PM
My SR-45 takes 45m or so to come alive, so I hate to turn it off for short periods.

But I have noticed, when the wine is poured and the steaks are on the grill... it is better. I have no scientific explanation for this phenomena.     

John Scanlon

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 05:20:40 PM
For me, thats one of the factors that steer me away from wanting to play with expensive tubes. I cant deal with the stress. I had a friends brother who was in town the other day from Chicago, and he's a session guitarist. When I told him I was experimenting with tubes in my kit, the first thing that he wanted to talk about was the stress about replacing all the tubes in his amp when its time, and how to determine when its time etc, etc.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 06:01:27 PM
I'm a little out of the norm on this, I leave almost everything on all the time.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 07:17:11 AM
I leave the solid state stuff on all the time, like the digital portion of the DAC. The tube parts of our system get turned early in order to warm up on days I will being doing a demo, and left on until quitting time.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline denti alligator

Reply #11 on: May 19, 2013, 10:05:58 AM
I just went a day with the SEX acting as power amp and using the Quickie for volume, and the micro phonics were FAR more prominent. I'm back to using the Quickie at full volume and using the SEX for volume. It's nice this way.

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #12 on: May 19, 2013, 10:55:01 AM
Thats an interesting phenomena! I had noticed that as well, some moons ago when I was playing with such (which volume control to use - integrated vs. Quickie).

The thing that I have found about Quickie microphonics is that it is possible (I'm there now) for the Quickie to be completely microphonics 'free'. I put free in quotes, because there may continue to be some that I cant hear, or identify. I thought I heard a bell sound the other day from one channel, I replaced the heater batteries and it went away. I think one of my cells was getting low. Love that Quickie, but she needs some quality attention!

Eric