Repairing HD650s

royewest · 2942

Offline royewest

on: May 28, 2013, 05:46:21 AM
Mine have developed the well-known problem where the cable connection is loose.

I'd like to try to fix them, but I can't seem to find instructions on how to open them up, and I don't want to break them by experimenting.

Anyone have a pointer to instructions on how to open up (and repair) HD650s?

Thanks,

__Roy

Offline adamct

• Maxxximum CAPacity Crack
Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 06:18:31 AM
I seem to remember reading that the solution is just to pry a couple of clips into position so that they are back in their original position and hold better. I don't know exactly where those clips are located or how to access them, but the HD650s are pretty easy to take apart. From the inside, you just gently tug on the earpads to remove them and the foam insert that covers the driver. For instructions on removing the grill, scroll down to the bottom of this page for step-by-step instructions with pictures: http://www.headphile.com/page4.html

Best regards,
Adam

Offline Armaegis

Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 09:57:54 AM
Once you open them up and pull the driver element out (which is shaped vaguely like a spoon), you'll see the spring clips which are the culprit. Usually what happens is that the springs are dirty and/or have oxidized. They've also likely deformed a bit so the pins don't make contact. You can try some compressed air and deoxit to clean the springs, then use a very fine flat tipped screwdriver to gently pry between the springs and make them evenly spaced again.

You can also pop the springs out, but they're tiny and have a habit of flying out of your tweezers and disappearing forever.

Offline royewest

Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 07:23:42 AM
Perfect. This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks so much.

Offline royewest

Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 05:36:40 AM
My Senns are fixed! Thanks again for help.