black shoulder washers for RCA inputs

azrockitman · 1758

Offline azrockitman

on: June 15, 2013, 11:09:19 AM
I powder-coated my top plate black for my stereomour.  Looks great but now that I'm installing some components, I want to replace the white shoulder washers that came with the rca jacks.  I know shoulder washers help seat the RCA jacks properly but I presume any black plastic or rubber washer would work, correct? 

Esoteric DV-50, Technics SL1200-M3D, B&K Phono 10 Preamp, Sumiko Blue Point Special Evo III, Bottlehead Stereomour, Orca's

4krow

Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 11:13:56 AM
Yes, they do aid inseating the jack, but their primary function is to isolate them from ground, i.e. they are a separate ground from the chassis. As long as they don't let the jack make contact with the chassis, they will work fine.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 11:14:02 AM
You just need to insulate the body of the jack from the metal of the chassis.

In actuality, you can retain the white insulator that has the shoulder on it, then use a black fiber washer for the top side.  This will keep the jack body centered and away from the chassis plate, so you only need a simple washer on the top side.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline azrockitman

Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 11:17:17 AM
Thanks Greg and Paul.  I'll use the shoulder washer underneath and a nice black one on top then.  Thanks again!

Esoteric DV-50, Technics SL1200-M3D, B&K Phono 10 Preamp, Sumiko Blue Point Special Evo III, Bottlehead Stereomour, Orca's