What Caps?

mp9 · 13656

Offline Paully

Reply #30 on: May 30, 2014, 08:59:41 AM
Would it hurt to go larger?  Reason I ask is I was thinking Obbligato and I can either buy a 10 uf 630V or a 15uf 250V and the 15uf is cheaper.

[/quote]

I know this may seem out of character, but I actually measured that 10uF was around the smallest we wanted to go for best bass extension into a typical 50K-100K load, on a scope.
[/quote]

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #31 on: May 30, 2014, 09:52:04 AM
More uF is OK, I'd go for the smallest size you can get away with.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Paully

Reply #32 on: May 30, 2014, 10:17:29 AM
The 15uf is actually smaller than the 10 due to the voltage, so if it isn't going to hurt anything to bump up the uf that much, why the heck not?

Offline johnsonad

Reply #33 on: May 30, 2014, 12:00:49 PM
You're driving Paramounts. I think PB is saying you could get away with a 1.5uF cap, that kinda small :)

Aaron Johnson

Offline Paully

Reply #34 on: May 30, 2014, 12:07:40 PM
Well, he said "smallest size" so I was thinking he meant physical size since squeezing something like the KBGs under the hood was so difficult.  But I might have misunderstood, wouldn't be the first time!

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #35 on: May 30, 2014, 12:53:10 PM
Yeah, I meant physical size.  Personally, I wouldn't care too much about going under 10uF, but otherwise the voltage rating required is very low in the BeePre, so saving some money and space on 15uF caps with a lower voltage rating seems like a good decision. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline johnsonad

Reply #36 on: May 30, 2014, 02:32:40 PM
My KBG's are on longer extensions and sit on the floor under the preamp. It's not the best but it doesn't move very often. Plus it allows a little more air circulation or at least I tell myself this ;) nothing says that you need to secure the caps to the chassis plate. Who knows, I might actually be helping the overall sound! ;)

Aaron Johnson

Offline Paully

Reply #37 on: May 30, 2014, 03:03:01 PM
With children running around, exposed capacitors of any magnitude are a definite non-starter.  😷  Thinking I will go with the Obbligato Gold, though was also thinking about Mundorf EVO (aluminum and oil).  Obbligato is much more likely though.

Offline johnsonad

Reply #38 on: May 30, 2014, 03:18:12 PM
I gotta tell you Paully, try PB's test first. I noticed zero difference in low end output with a 1.5uF cap vs the 10uF KBG. Really i should measure it out but audibly I didn't complain. I know you have caps lying around. I would suggest using first the Daytons that come with the kit. Once you have it settled in and have a good feel for it, try what you have around. I was very happy with a 1.5uF cap as far as the low end goes and if you have a SEX or other BH builds you probably have a few.  I've got a handful of 1uF KBG's you can try if you don't have any. I used to double them up in my SEX.

Aaron Johnson

Offline galyons

• Geary Lyons
Reply #39 on: May 30, 2014, 03:39:35 PM
With children running around, exposed capacitors of any magnitude are a definite non-starter.  😷  ...

I don't have a BeePre, but do have an FP3X.  I used additional stand-offs with an aluminum platform to mount my 2uF KBG's horizontally, (parallel to the top plate).  That substantially reduced the required height, mounts them very securely and provides a better visual layout down under.  I took the concept to a more extreme on my Crack fitting 6 MGBO 30uF's and a C7-X choke in the"basement", still remaining in normal base footprint.

Looking at a pic of the BeePre, there appears to be good availability to add male/female stand-offs above, (really below in the playing position), the two small regulator boards.

I tried Obbligato Golds, Mundorf Supreme SIO, OS Vitamin Q's and KBG's.  (Bias clearly stated..I .don't like the sound of metalized polyprop caps).  IMO the Vitamin Q's were much better that the MPP caps in timbre, imaging and sound stage.  The KBG's bested them all...all of the good of the Vit Q's, but a more crisp sounding presentation providing a bit better detail and apparent speed.

Cheers,
Geary

VPI TNT IV/JMW 3D 12+Benz LP-S>  Eros + Auralic Aries + ANK Dac 4.1 >Eros TH+ Otari MX5050 IIIB2 > BeePre >Paramount 300B 7N7 > EV Sentry IV-A

Thorens TD124/Ortofon RMG-212/SPU >Seduction > Smash^Up> Paramour 45 MQ >K12's

Offline Paully

Reply #40 on: May 30, 2014, 03:40:57 PM
I would be more, more than happy to try them, but seriously, if they can't fit under the hood I just wouldn't want to take any sort of risk with my children.  But if I can shoe horn them in, I am game!  Back to the beer!

Offline johnsonad

Reply #41 on: May 30, 2014, 03:48:18 PM
A zip tied pair would fit under the hood (2uF) but if you PM the usual guys on ePay they have 10uF 200v's in their stashes; that's how I got my pair ($10 bucks or so a piece). They would work if you secured them to the base plate. No greater risk than securing them the way in the manual.

Aaron Johnson

Offline Paully

Reply #42 on: May 30, 2014, 03:51:08 PM
Well, it is a moot point point now.  Enough of aforementioned beer and a paypal login, I have a pair of KBGs on the way.  Thanks.  I am logging off before more trouble ensues.

Offline galyons

• Geary Lyons
Reply #43 on: May 30, 2014, 04:03:05 PM
Well, it is a moot point point now.  Enough of aforementioned beer and a paypal login, I have a pair of KBGs on the way.  Thanks.  I am logging off before more trouble ensues.

;D

Cheers,
Geary

VPI TNT IV/JMW 3D 12+Benz LP-S>  Eros + Auralic Aries + ANK Dac 4.1 >Eros TH+ Otari MX5050 IIIB2 > BeePre >Paramount 300B 7N7 > EV Sentry IV-A

Thorens TD124/Ortofon RMG-212/SPU >Seduction > Smash^Up> Paramour 45 MQ >K12's

Offline johnsonad

Reply #44 on: May 30, 2014, 04:03:46 PM
Lol, ahhhh etoh and audio, an expensive and fun combo!

Aaron Johnson