Stereomour volume observations and questions

Sh7eleven · 1590

Offline Sh7eleven

on: June 18, 2013, 04:36:42 PM
I have the stereomour driving coincident triumphs, '97 version which are 8 ohm bookshelf's rated at 91 db, and my listening room/living room is unscientifically paced off at 16x19 ish.  I can say that the stereomour in 2A3 configuration puts out plenty of volume to near uncomfortable listening levels if i wanted.  Generally my volume is set between 9 and 12 (0 volume = 6 o'clock on my dial orientation). I can put it up to three o'clock and it rocks the house. 

Hat tip to Grainier who, in an earlier post, who correctly predicted that I'd likely have enough volume with the general specs i provided. Beside the lack of extra volume, am I losing out on any other aspect of performance by not having speaker that are in the more sensitive ranges? Like maybe do I add more distortion by having the amp at higher volume levels?  Am I missing out on soundstage or imaging at lower volumes?

I'm curious because I'd like to try some speakers in the appropriate sensitivity range but The coincidents absolutely disappear from the room when being driven by the stereomour. While music is playing they look like any other piece of inert furniture in the room such that if some one moved one of them out of the room, it would be a surprise that the sound didn't just keep on coming from the same spot. I could get this in fleeting moments with the ASL wave 8's and certain well recorded material but it doesn't seem like the coincidents have even been connected to power since I hooked up the stereomour this past Saturday. I know im missing a few things or more by using bookshelves (with no sub by the way) but coincidents are my first speaker of any real quality so its my only point of reference and I'm hesitant to shell out cash for what may be a lateral or even step down from what I hear so far from the stereomour and the coincidents.

Any guidance as to what I may be missing beside simply volume by using a lower sensitivity speaker  would be appreciated. If I'm not missing much except top end volume, then maybe I should find a suitable sub pairing.

Sean Hamill

music, ski, music

Stereomour
Crack
FPIII extended

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 06:14:08 AM
I think you may just have a more reasonable listening level compared to other listeners (I find this for myself too).

It is also worth mentioning that the amp can make 0 watts to 3.5 watts with the volume control at any position, as the source feeding the amplifier and the position of the volume control work together to determine the output power.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Sh7eleven

Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 02:53:28 PM
Gotcha - so let me ask this follow up.  I have have read that the if I configured the stereomour in 45, I could still use the 2A3 tubes. Would it give me an approximate idea of the volume I could expect from the 45 configuration and 45 tubes? I know it won't sound like a 45 and  I realize I'll i have even less wattage to play with but if I have as much or more volume than I need now, then I'm curious if I could get away with the 45 configuration.  It would be a quick and cheap way to see what kind of volume I could get without actually having to put out for a pair of 45's. 

Sean Hamill

music, ski, music

Stereomour
Crack
FPIII extended

Offline Sh7eleven

Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 03:07:58 PM
Or perhaps even easier can I just put the volume to 12 in the current 2A3 config and assume that's the same volume output I'd get at max with the 45's?

Sean Hamill

music, ski, music

Stereomour
Crack
FPIII extended