Holes in PJCCS PC board are too small

FS · 1466

Offline FS

on: December 25, 2013, 06:41:24 AM
Hello,
I have encountered a problem with the PC board while trying to populate it with the UF4007 diodes. The leads are way to thick to fit the holes in the D1 outlines. I tried to gently enlarge the holes with a needle, but that did not work. I am hesitant to go at it with more power, as I don't want to break the board or crush the traces. Anybody out there with a neat trick on how to get it done? Thanks very much in advance.
Happy holidays!
Falko

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: December 25, 2013, 07:01:48 AM
If they are a bit too thick to fit into the traces, you can cut the diode leads at a steep angle with your side cutters, making the ends pointy so that they can poke into the PC board.  (Then solder them from the top side)

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline FS

Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 07:54:37 AM
Thanks Paul, for the speedy reply! I will try that.
I have also run into another small problem. I have a good wire stripper, but I seem to lack a setting for the very thin teflon wires that come with this kit. The plastic gets mangled, and I will run out of wire before making a suitable piece...:-) Can I substitute with other wire, or is there an alternative way to strip these wires that is proven, perhaps using a knife? Thanks again.
Falko

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 07:56:52 AM
You can use other wire if you have it.  The Teflon wire isn't easy to strip until you have a stripper meant for stripping small wires. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline mortron

Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 06:37:44 AM
On the thin wires, I use an Xacto knife and i roll the wire along the blade with my thumb (*use older blades, sharp enough for the teflon, dull enough to not cut wire/thumb). At first you may press too hard but when you get the pressure right, its quick and easy stuff.

The wire in the kit is Teflon coated? What is the conductor made from?