The Pizza Tapes

Natural Sound · 3936

Offline Natural Sound

on: June 16, 2013, 01:03:22 PM
Listening to Jerry Garcia, David Grisman and Tony Rice on the Pizza Tapes. This recording sure sounds good on Bottlehead/Blumenstein gear. Especially when you consider that it's just a few guys "noodling around" in a home studio. My copy is 16/44 and sounds great. There is also a 24/88 high res version available.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 01:06:15 PM by Natural Sound »

4krow

Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 01:45:16 PM
Pizza?  Noodling? Are you sure ur on the rite site?

Offline Grainger49

Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 02:33:50 PM
That is a long time favorite.  It includes Tony Rice as well.   Probably some of the usual guys as well.

Offline dave-tx

Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 04:16:01 PM
Thanks for reminding me about this one, I haven't listened to it in years.  Love the posthumous Jerry Garcia releases that David Grisman put out.  I didn't know there was a high-res version out there, thanks for the tip!

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 05:16:36 PM
I believe my bro Paul Stubblebine did the high res mastering for that album.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 06:42:29 PM
I believe my bro Paul Stubblebine did the high res mastering for that album.

You are correct. From the computeraudiofile site.

Pizza Tapes and more

This has always been among my favorites of the records I've worked on with David Grisman. I'm very glad to see it released in Hi-Res.

It was recorded live to 1/2" two track analog tape at 30 ips on an Ampex ATR-100, mixed by the talented Dave Dennison. The tapes were in perfect condition when I got my hands on 'em, so no restoration was required. I did the transfer and mastering at 88.2/24 bit, then made a 16/44 version for the CD from the 88/24 at the very last step. Naturally I archived the 88/24 files, and then it was easy to make files for HD Tracks at that resolution, files which have never been at any lower resolution. If there was an LP I know nothing about it.

There are now several Acoustic Disc albums available from HD Tracks at 88/24 or 96/24. I would also recommend the Vassar Clements album "Living With The Blues," the John Sebastian & David Grisman album "I'm Satisfied," the two David Grisman Quintet albums "Dawgnation" and Dawg's Groove"...well, you get the idea. There are even more than that, all good music, well recorded at Dawg Studio, and transferred from analog at Hi Res.

Paul Stubblebine
Paul Stubblebine Mastering, San Francisco
The Tape Project, LLC
serious student of the audio arts

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f13-audiophile-downloads/pizza-tapes-3881/

Offline dave-tx

Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 02:10:52 AM
Thanks for the link to the thread.  I saw one comment in particular that I wholeheartedly agree with - "I would love to see a high res version of "Shady Grove" too"...Shady Grove is udoubtedly my favorite GD-related release since 1995.  Take that with a grain of salt, because I may be one of the 4 or 5 people who loved Mickey Hart's Mystery Box.

EDIT: While doing further reading about this, I see that there was an "extra large edition" (standard CD resolution) - 3CDs that comprise the entire session.  Wow!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 02:25:07 AM by dave-tx »

Offline Grainger49

Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 10:53:48 AM
Dave,

You have excellent taste in music, much like mine.  You should get together with PM Summer. he is a fellow Texan.  Similar tastes.

Offline dave-tx

Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 04:45:40 PM
Thanks - My taste in music varies from good to "interesting"...or, as my wife refers to it, "godawful", particularly when the drone/doom metal urge kicks in.

I'd enjoy meeting some fellow builders.  Most people I deal with on a daily basis get a glazed look in their eyes when I talk about wanting to build an amplifer...let alone a tube amp.

-D

Offline Grainger49

Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 11:51:49 PM
   .  .  .   Most people I deal with on a daily basis get a glazed look in their eyes when I talk about wanting to build an amplifer...let alone a tube amp.  .  .  .   

I get that a lot.  I work with engineers and electricians.  They haven't a clue!

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #10 on: July 30, 2018, 04:22:09 PM
Its been a while so let me preface by apologizing for resurrecting such an old thread. Since I originally posted this I purchased the 24/88 Hi resolution recordings and gave it a good listen a few times. After a crummy beginning of the week this recording put my head right again. Thanks David Grisman, Jerry Garcia, Tony Rice, Paul Stubblebine, Bottlehead S.E.X. 2.1, Sennheiser HD-600's w/bottleheadphone cable and a cold local craft brew! I'm ready to face the rest of the week. :)

EDIT: Almost forgot to thank Paul Stubblebine.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 04:24:28 PM by Natural Sound »