Right channel static

moviedave · 1432

Offline moviedave

on: June 23, 2013, 12:16:10 PM
So, I am having occasional static in the right channel.  It is not always there, but I comes on at random times.  I have ruled out everything that comes before the Crack, and it isn't the tubes.  Loose solder joint perhaps?

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 12:48:24 PM
I suppose that means you swapped the incoming interconnects?  If so then move on to the tube pins and socket.  Clean it by pulling and inserting the tube 6-10 times.  Easy mechanical cleaning.

Then run volume control up and down the full rotation 6-8 times. 

If it persists when the scratchy noise comes back tap the top plate.  If it is a marginal connection it will change.

Post back what happens.

Offline moviedave

Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 04:40:54 AM
Sorry this reply took so long.  I tried it all, but the only thing that sometimes makes the static go away is a good, sound tap on the right side of the amp.  Loose joint?

Offline Grainger49

Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 11:18:06 AM
Yes, loose connection somewhere.  Rewetting the solder joints is a good remedy. 

Since it is right channel only I wouldn't worry with the power supply and left channel.  But start at the input RCA jacks and move all the way to the output jack on the right channel.

Offline John EH

Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 01:01:40 PM
Power off and take a chopstick or something likewise small and push around on your wire ends.  Might see something move.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 01:31:46 PM
John is right.  If there is a broken wire rewetting will not fix it.  But the chopstick test will find it.

Offline John EH

Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 03:32:24 PM
John is right.  If there is a broken wire rewetting will not fix it.  But the chopstick test will find it.

Emphasis around headphone jack, input jacks, and volume control.  Then tube sockets.