quickie tone

aragorn723 · 3498

Offline aragorn723

on: July 01, 2013, 01:06:43 PM
Hi,

Has anyone done any serious listening for the tone of instruments on the stock Quickie?  I play a couple different instruments-mostly piano and guitar, and have noticed that tube equipment has special ability to create music in a more life-like way (closer to the sound of an actual instrument).  You know when you go to a store and hear music (but don't see the musicians) and instantly recognize that its live and not a recording?  A lot of stereo equipment i've heard has trouble accurately reproducing the tone of the piano, how does the Quickie do in this area?

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 01:18:59 PM
I couldn't agree more with the observation that tubes make it real! The simple Quickie definaty makes it real, either stock or modded. What modding does IMO and experience, is accentuate the good stuff in a way that makes it all bigger cleaner easier more mature and all those things that you would expect from a high end sound. What the tube does, is what it does. The rest of the gear needs to get out of the way!

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline Dr. Toobz

Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 01:20:38 PM
Though I don't have the Quickie hooked up currently (needs a re-build to undo some experimentation from last summer), I did think that it made saxophones sound much more realistic than when not in the playback chain. This was especially true with the plate chokes, which tended to compress and "wet" the signal with second-harmonic distortion as the volume pot neared its highest setting. I think that partially explains why tubes sound more like real instruments vs. solid-state, which tends to either have no harmonics whatsoever and lots of negative feedback, or has lots of odd-order harmonics, which lend a harsh and  "brassy" quality to a signal. Also, the tube harmonic spectrum is monotonically decaying, which also tends to mimic the arrangement of harmonics for a loud instrumental sound in real life.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 01:54:58 PM
Well said Angelo! The magic is in the harmonics. Tubes do it just right. It is pretty close to magic IMO. I haven't heard class A SS done right ex. Pass Labs. There is some of that 'tubiness' there from what I have heard.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline Dr. Toobz

Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 02:12:42 PM
Interestingly, it seems that FET's also have that "monotonically-deaying harmonic spectrum" when placed in a supporting circuit similar to that of a triode - e.g., very simple, few parts, little or no feedback.

I did breadboard a Class-A, single-ended MOSET circuit once and plugged in some headphones, and the sound was like tubes on steroids. The warmth was still there, but the bass was much more solid. However, the problem was one of heat - I wasn't sure how to keep the MOSEFTs cool without using heat sinks the size of an old Cadillac's tail fins. I would imagine this means no 100WPC, single-ended MOSEFT amps yet exist.......

The Quickie is an awesome way to add some tube magic to just about any type of playback chain. I'm still amazed that it's just $99 - definitely one of the best deals in audio.

Offline galyons

• Geary Lyons
Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 03:05:55 PM
Tubes do timbre.  Timbre is the quality of sound that lets us distinguish the same note(s) played on different instruments.  It is this unique characteristic that defines the difference between say a French horn, cornet, trumpet and/or trombone playing the same note.  It is all in the harmonics and wave front differences from the different tubing and bells for brass.  Same for strings, woodwinds, all instruments, including human voice.  The recording venue also has its unique timbre.

Piano is extremely challenging because there are so many constituent sounds making up the timbre.  Think about the piano - keys, hammers, felt, unison strings, pedals, dampers, soundboard, frame and reflecting top, (grands), all contribute to the sound of the instrument.  Tubes struggle with the piano, solid state tends to make all pianos sound like electronic keyboards. That is why human vocals and piano are great for critical differentiation when listening for amp attributes.

Negative feedback  and switching distortion make it difficult for solid state devices to capture timbre.   Now I may  p!$$ off a few folks, but the more "sand" in tube amp circuitry makes tubes sound more like solid state.  Overly regulated power and filament supplies can make tube amps sound more detailed, but, IMO, at the loss of timbre. A simple, Class A FET circuit can sound wonderful, but forget about all of the regulation and high power...it is all about the first watt whether tubes or SS.

It is this elegant simplicity that make BH kit so wonderful!!!

Cheers,
Geary

VPI TNT IV/JMW 3D 12+Benz LP-S>  Eros + Auralic Aries + ANK Dac 4.1 >Eros TH+ Otari MX5050 IIIB2 > BeePre >Paramount 300B 7N7 > EV Sentry IV-A

Thorens TD124/Ortofon RMG-212/SPU >Seduction > Smash^Up> Paramour 45 MQ >K12's

Offline Zimmer64

• Blog
Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 08:12:10 AM
Could not agree more with what was said before. My modded Quickie sounds so much nicer than SS when acoustic instruments are replayed. We are fortunate to have a Steinway Grand Piano at home that my SO is playing and I can honestly say that the Q is pretty darn close in tonality, given good recordings of course.

Nelson Pass F5 Turbo V2, Quickie (mod), S.E.X. 2.1, Tubes4hifi SP14, Dynaco VTA ST 70, Tubelab SSE, Vroemen Diva Superiore ER4, Jordan JX92S VTL, 47 labs 0647 CD, Aqvox DAC, Rowen Absolute pre / psu / power amps, BG Neo3 / Betsy / Eminence A15 open baffles

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 09:14:14 AM
That's a big complement considering how hard piano is for most sustems

Eric

Offline aragorn723

Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 12:55:18 AM
Could not agree more with what was said before. My modded Quickie sounds so much nicer than SS when acoustic instruments are replayed. We are fortunate to have a Steinway Grand Piano at home that my SO is playing and I can honestly say that the Q is pretty darn close in tonality, given good recordings of course.

That definitely is a good compliment.. I have been lucky enough to play a few Steinways, by far they are the nicest pianos :)  It sounds like the general consensus is that the Quickie does a really good job with instrument tones, though i'm guessing the amp contributes somewhat to the tone also?  Does the preamp have more impact on tone than the amp?

Offline Zimmer64

• Blog
Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 01:22:03 AM
Both preamp and amp have an impact as far as my memory serves me. Which one has more, I do not really know. I did not make that comparison.

Here is a good piano recording (vinyl). The guy is probably not well known across the pond, but he is on par with Bill Evans and the likes. He plays on a Boesendorfer Imperial piano. Great Jazz pieces extremely nicely recorded and signed by the artist!

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/jazz/detail/-/art/Wolfgang-Dauner-geb-1935-Tribute-To-The-Past-Solo-Piano-180g-Limited-Edition-signiert/hnum/4986962?lang=en
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 01:24:27 AM by Zimmer64 »

Nelson Pass F5 Turbo V2, Quickie (mod), S.E.X. 2.1, Tubes4hifi SP14, Dynaco VTA ST 70, Tubelab SSE, Vroemen Diva Superiore ER4, Jordan JX92S VTL, 47 labs 0647 CD, Aqvox DAC, Rowen Absolute pre / psu / power amps, BG Neo3 / Betsy / Eminence A15 open baffles

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #10 on: July 03, 2013, 01:25:33 PM
In response to amp vs preamp for the best influence on tone, that would probably be a system related variable IMO. For sure you want to start with the preamp, some even put tubes in the DAC. I'm not sold on tubes in the DAC idea. I think that allows laziness in design. Whether to have tubes in both amp and pre is up for debate and personal preferance. It makes sense to me from a purity of design standpoint to take advantage of tubes in the pre (no need for tons of iron etc).

Eric

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #11 on: July 03, 2013, 01:38:49 PM
I should explain a bit more about my opinion re. Tubes in DAC's! That opinion is based DAC's that have used tubes to clean up the sound of an inferior design and have not benefitted from the tube output stage. With some of those designs you could switch from tube to op amp to select the best sound. With that said, I'm SURE that if and when Bottlehead releases the hounds with their new DAC it will be tubbie and it will be wonderful!

Eric

Offline aragorn723

Reply #12 on: July 03, 2013, 02:12:19 PM
Both preamp and amp have an impact as far as my memory serves me. Which one has more, I do not really know. I did not make that comparison.

Here is a good piano recording (vinyl). The guy is probably not well known across the pond, but he is on par with Bill Evans and the likes. He plays on a Boesendorfer Imperial piano. Great Jazz pieces extremely nicely recorded and signed by the artist!

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/jazz/detail/-/art/Wolfgang-Dauner-geb-1935-Tribute-To-The-Past-Solo-Piano-180g-Limited-Edition-signiert/hnum/4986962?lang=en

Thanks for the link!  I'm listening to that now, sounds really good  8)  Definitely never heard of him,but I do enjoy Coltrane and Miles Davis a lot.  Have you seen his music on mp3?  A friend recently got me into digital audio (high res, like 24bit 192khz stuff) and experimenting with dacs (mostly the audioengine d1) so mp3 is my primary source now.

4krow

Reply #13 on: July 04, 2013, 03:59:04 PM
 FWIW, I presently have a different pre-amp in my system(tubed, using 6SN7's) and yah it does sound good, BUT I am eager to get the Q back into the system. From my experience this thing is a rare piece indeed. No apologies for it from me.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #14 on: July 05, 2013, 12:03:56 AM
Simplicity so often wins out over complex designs.