Crack Upgrade Question

mSummers · 1025

Offline mSummers

on: July 06, 2013, 03:09:05 PM
Does the speedball upgrade require any new holes drilled in the top plate?

I'm going to have a copper panel cut for my crack and plan to let it develop a nice patina before building the amp.  So I want to make sure I have it prepped for any future upgrades so I don't mess up the finish drilling new holes, etc.

- Michael

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 03:22:31 PM
Hello Michael,

We are religious here about not saddling our customers with metal machining.  The Speedball mounts on two unused holes and two already occupied holes on the stock chassis.

If you get a copper panel made, you could probably use the aluminum plate as a template and machine your copper one relatively easily, though you'd need a small cutting wheel to cut the material away for the power transformer.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline mSummers

Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 03:34:09 PM
Thanks Paul!  I thought about machining one myself but I'll probably order it through Front Panel Express assuming they still do the custom plates.  I plan to upgrade the volume pot and the RCA jacks, so I think it may be easier for me to use Front Plate's software and have them cut it.  If the DAC kit fits within my budget, I'll have a copper plate done for it as well.

- Michael