Quickie with stereomour

rockdrummer · 2168

Offline rockdrummer

on: August 26, 2013, 05:52:40 PM
I already have the stereomour. I will be running it under less than ideal circumstances for starters. Cheap sony dvd player to stereomour. Because my receiver has no preamp outs. Am i okay waiting until i get a better source and receiver and adding a quickie (opt 1) or am i putting too many uneccessary links in the chain and better off just going from better source-quickie-stereomour?(opt 2)

I am way ahead of schedule with my planning! Got that down.

Thanks
Ben

Offline adamct

• Maxxximum CAPacity Crack
Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 06:03:28 PM
Is the difference between the two options just the question of whether you go through the receiver between the source and the Quickie? If so, then unless you are using the receiver as a source selector (and it sounds like that is not the case), then I would go directly from your source to the Quickie, if possible.

If you are using your receiver as a source selector, you still don't need to go through the receiver, as long as your sources have multiple outputs. You can run one set of RCAs from each source to your receiver, and a second set of RCAs to the Quickie. Depending on how many sources you have, you may need to add extra inputs to the Quickie and upgrade the source selector switch.

If your sources don't have multiple outputs, and you need to connect the sources to your receiver (e.g., because you ise them with a speaker system) then you will have to go through your receiver.

Offline rockdrummer

Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 06:25:20 PM
If it is worth it sound quality-wise, i will skip the rec. I will use the receiver for movies via a digital cable anyway. I will just switch speaker cables maybe for when i switch to stereo.

I have to share the space so combining the systems is going to happen. But using the same front speakers may get to be a bit of a nuisance. I will look into oppo blu ray players eventually.

Move into new house, finish gr research speaker build, stereomour build, blu ray source, quickie. Hopefully before too long.

Thanks.
Ben

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 08:55:02 AM
The Stereomour has at least 2 inputs and a volume control. Plug your DVD player directly into it...John

John Scanlon

Offline rockdrummer

Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 10:39:22 AM
John, I was going to do that, but was reading up and kinda assumed the quickie would be a fun, and worthwhile way to improve the sound.  Is there some redundancy in having a quickie feeding into a stereomour?

Ben

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 11:16:22 AM
The quickie would be a fun, and worthwhile way to improve your knowledge and experience. One thing you would learn is whether it sounds better or not. To you that is, nobody else really matters!

Paul Joppa

Offline adamct

Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 01:29:00 PM
It's pretty hard not to recommend the Quickie. Low cost, quick and easy to build, sounds great, lots of options to mod if you so desire, etc. In this day and age it's pretty tough to spend this little, have so much fun, and actually come out with something useful afterwards....

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 05:37:52 PM
No, I meant, here's simple and it gets rid of the receiver.

By all means get a Quickie and play...John   

John Scanlon

Offline adamct

Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 05:47:32 PM
FWIW, if you wanted to, you could build your Stereomour without the volume pot (replace it with a resistor), and just use the Quickie to control volume.