Western Electric going back into production

Natural Sound · 3282

Offline John EH

Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 03:55:07 AM
It is good news. I have avoided having a 300b amp for years because I know I'd have to have a set of NOS WE's.

I'd like to see some new production stuff come out at some kind of reasonable cost.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 04:14:51 AM
Tom,

Thanks.  Hopefully it will be more than just the 300b -- 350, 310, 421, 417, etc.  I can pretty much guess that these will certainly not be cheap though.  $100k for a WE97 amp?  Guessing these will cost at least as much, and probably more than the current WE new production tubes -- no more economy of scale at work here.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Grainger49

Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 02:35:22 AM
This company went into production in the 90s.  The first "corporate" office was on Peachtree in Atlanta.  I was still living there. 

At that time I knew one of the technicians there, the plant was never on Peachtree, BTW.  There were startup pains but the first tubes went for $1000 a pair.  They came, probably do still, in a wooden box.

The tubes are the best copy of the metallurgy and construction techniques that WE used originally. 

Offline Gerry E.

Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 03:28:05 AM
Not to be a "Debbie Downer" but... Western Electric/Charles Whitener has been talking about restarting 300B production pretty much since they stopped about 7 or 8 years ago.  At this point, it's a "I'll believe it when I see it" proposition. 

Don't get me wrong, I would like this to be true as much as anyone.  Of course if it does happen, you have to wonder what the price will be.  With the original reissue price of around $800 - $1000/pair (17 years ago) and current Japanese Takatsuki 300Bs going for about $1800/pair, the sky's the limit.  Maybe this is what's drawing Mr. Whitener back into the market?

Think I'm going a bit overboard here?     Take a look at the pricing page on the WE website.  They have WE 396As listed as "In Stock" at $300 a pop.  If those are NOS, they are only about 10 times market price.  If they are new production, which is very unlikely, could they possibly be better than early 1950s vintage?

Remember, I'm just the messenger.   :)

Gerry     
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 01:47:18 AM by Gerry E. »

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 04:46:09 AM
You're right Gerry - it is such a niche market. There is no other purpose for them than the so called "audiophile" market. The hopes for affordable newly manufactured complex hand made tubes are next to nil.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 07:26:16 AM
Sorry, I didn't know they had stopped.  I guess that is why I hadn't heard much for a while.  So take my comments with a grain of salt.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #7 on: July 21, 2013, 01:14:11 PM
From the article:

"Since his stock of vacuum tubes is dwindling, he plans eventually to hire skilled workers and start manufacturing tubes on the fourth floor of the Rossville building."

So they must still have inventory left over. Production in Kansas City (or wherever it was) is said to have stopped a good number of years ago - some say 2006, but other dates are floating around. Those tubes at those prices are not moving very fast! I know there was a lot of unhappiness because apparently nothing was shipping for several years in the interim. There have been periodic threads on the Audio Asylum SET board, where Gordon Rankin of Wavelength Audio seems to be the most reliable voice.

I have not heard first-hand anyone in the last several years claim that they have actually received tubes. Several second and third hand reports though. Make of that what you will, it's all speculation so far.

Paul Joppa

4krow

Reply #8 on: July 21, 2013, 04:16:09 PM
 While working for the phone company, I saw some of the WEIRDEST tubes ever. Wish I had paid more attention.