Help. Input from source to high

Cleet Torres · 5033

Offline John EH

Reply #15 on: July 21, 2013, 09:41:53 AM
  Yup, I second that guys. My wife is from the Philippines, and I am in heaven.

About resistors for input level adjustment. I've only tried the tans in a piece of my equipment. Yes the sound is slightly different, and for my integrated, it just became the lesser of two evils.

I'm live in Japan and travel to PI frequently so I dig where you are coming from.  My current gf of the last three years or so is Chinese which is an interesting Asian variant in and among itself.  She's a keeper.

Regarding the preamp padding just swap the resistor on one of the inputs is still the bestest, fastest, cheapest solution.

Offline Cleet Torres

Reply #16 on: July 21, 2013, 07:12:49 PM
John, that would be a good solution if I had more than one input.

I took a T connector and put a 100ohm across the live an neutral on each as suggested by CB, and it works a charm. Not only has it solved my high input level issues, but my mid range seem to really "pop" now and the Roku is decidedly less peaky.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #17 on: July 21, 2013, 07:15:06 PM
Just to be 100% clear, putting 100 Ohms across the live and neutral was not at all what I suggested, and will cause horrendous issues with the performance of the Seduction, and potentially the Roku.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline John EH

Reply #18 on: July 22, 2013, 01:56:39 PM
John, that would be a good solution if I had more than one input.

I took a T connector and put a 100ohm across the live an neutral on each as suggested by CB, and it works a charm. Not only has it solved my high input level issues, but my mid range seem to really "pop" now and the Roku is decidedly less peaky.

You have a Foreplay with only one input?  I thought they all had three.  Even my Foreplay 2 has 3 inputs.

Offline Cleet Torres

Reply #19 on: July 22, 2013, 03:28:48 PM
My bad CB. I misread your post, but it seems to work well with the Roku. I won't be using it on the seduction, mainly because the 100K short T connector is what I use to load my cart. If the Rokyu goes south ... not really a biggie.

John, Foreplays have three inputs. I went through a "less is more" stage a few years ago so now I just plug and unplug source cables. Not an issue given the rca's  being on top of the chassis

4krow

Reply #20 on: July 22, 2013, 04:12:11 PM
  I can understand the less is more thing. Been there. Less switches, connections, jacks and the like. Only issue for me was the RCA jacks taking constant cable changes. Funny thing, I still make and remake connections all the time for various reasons, even though I have three inputs.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #21 on: July 22, 2013, 05:16:17 PM
FYI - the Roku probably has a pair of caps at the output, and they are probably sized to see no less than 1000 Ohms of load (10K would be even more reasonable). 

If we assume that they are 10uF electrolytics, putting a 100 Ohm load on the Roku will give you a -3dB point of around 160Hz, and your bass response will be subpar. 

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man