Sound City

azrockitman · 3466

Offline azrockitman

on: July 21, 2013, 08:41:11 PM
I watched the documentary film, Sound City, produced by Dave Grohl tonight.  I can't imagine very many bottlehead fans not liking this film.  As much as this was my era of music and I own so many of the LP's chronicled in this film, what I learned is that I had no idea about this studio until now.  Good story.

Esoteric DV-50, Technics SL1200-M3D, B&K Phono 10 Preamp, Sumiko Blue Point Special Evo III, Bottlehead Stereomour, Orca's

4krow

Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 09:07:48 PM
  Kinda reminds me of an interview of Paul Mcartney on PBS. He told some interesting aspects of Abby Road studio. So many places have incredible stories to be told.   BTW, What decade did you grow up in?

Offline azrockitman

Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 10:06:15 PM
I was born in '55.  Still growing up.  ;)

Esoteric DV-50, Technics SL1200-M3D, B&K Phono 10 Preamp, Sumiko Blue Point Special Evo III, Bottlehead Stereomour, Orca's

4krow

Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 08:07:16 AM
  I'm not just saying this, but the 50's had incredible music. I also loved the 70's.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 10:56:59 AM
Greg,

You just left out my teen aged years.  Often considered the best decade of music.  1960-1970

Offline Maxwell_E

Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 11:50:03 AM
I agree. It is an excellent film. Watching it I realized I hadn't ever heard the story of how Fleetwood Mac became what it is today after Peter Green left. It's on Netflix instant play for your convenience.

Max Tomlinson
SEX amp, Tode guitar amp

4krow

Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 11:56:19 AM
  Well, I know that I am a party crasher here G, but the 60's music, at least some of it, was too raw for me. I respect it, but to this day, only own a few albums from the era. Beatles in the later 60's for example really blossomed, but "I wanna hold your hand" was but the beginning. Pink Floyd definitely gained ground in the late 60's, and there were others. But when I think of some of the early and mid 60's, ummmm no. Music of course, has the spell for memories and that is often where our attachment lies.    Go ahead, reply, I'm bracing myself for it.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 01:24:39 PM
I'd add Chicago's first two albums, CS&N, Blind Faith, Cream, Fleetwood Mac, Allman Brothers, Creedance Clearwater Revival, Big Brother and the Holding Company, Cold Blood, Santana (first two albums) and The Yardbirds.

But those are bands that I love, you don't have to. No one else has to.  But I do.  That is why I have a lot of it.

Offline azrockitman

Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 05:43:50 PM
My eye's opened, musically in 1964, at 9 years old, with my first exposure to the Beatles on Ed Sullivan.  The next day started the pestering of my parents to take me to JC Penny's record dept.  The way we found out about a new record back then was to find it in the rack at the store.  Leafing through the selection and finding a new record was the best day you could imagine.  Once I got a new LP, I would feign being sick some days so I could stay home from school and sing to Beatle records.  I know the lyrics to those songs better than the national anthem. 

I think every era has its genius and monumental artists.   Including current day.  Clearly, as the Sound City documentary shows, there were magical moments (and studios) back then and I can't help but agree that the 60's ushered in change perhaps like no other musical generation, before or after.  It was certainly "my" awakening musically, but I've never stopped enjoying new music.  I hope I never do.

Offline Tubejack

Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 02:08:48 AM
Ah, Granger, I'm 64 and still don't know what I want to be when I grow up.  For me, the apex age of rock was '66-74 (yeah, my late teens early 20's) that includes your span of albums, as well as some fringe stuff like Moby Grape, Quick Silver Messenger Service, Renaissance, It's a Beautiful Day, Silver Apples, and ya gotta play n-A-Gadda-Da-Vida at least once a year, The Band (I actually lived in Woodstock NY in the 70's), Marshall Tucker, The Outlaws, van Morrison ... but I'm dating myself .... again.

I would like to suggest that those who enjoyed Sound City ( I have the vinyl album which is good listen), give Dave Grohl's 2013 SXSW keynote a few months ago in Austin a try (I was living in Austin at the time - a great place to live if you're into any kind of live music ......)

There are 10 types of people in this world,
Those that understand Binary and those that Don't!

Offline Tubejack

Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 03:04:17 AM
.... and can't forget The Doors, Led Zep .....I'm trying to forget my Windham Hill and Narada label phase ...... well, William Ackerman and George Winston have their moments ....

There are 10 types of people in this world,
Those that understand Binary and those that Don't!