Magnepan crossover question

adamct · 11627

Offline adamct

• Maxxximum CAPacity Crack
on: July 30, 2013, 03:01:42 PM
I would like to "upgrade" the crossover in my MG12s (hat tip to Eric for inspiring me!). I found this tutorial, which is short, clear and to the point. But here is my question: the author used three different models of caps: Auricap, Northcreek, and Solen. Can anyone venture a guess as to whether these were chosen for a specific purpose, or whether it it was likely done for cost purposes? Would it be OK to keep all of the caps from the same line of the same manufacturer, or are some caps known to be better in certain positions in a crossover vs. other positions? And am I correct that the Northcreek "bypass" cap isn't a type of cap, it is just a Northcreek cap that is being used as a bypass?

Thanks for any advice,
Adam

Offline adamct

Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 12:03:47 PM
Thanks, Grainger. After speaking to the very helpful guys at Madisound, I'm going to skip the bypass caps entirely. I'm going to use a ClarityCap for the 50 uf cap for the bass.

There are differing reports on what the stock cap is for the treble. It's either 20uf or 33uf.

As I understand it, the MG12s are rated 4 Ohm, so:

50uf = 800 Hz
33uf = 1200 Hz
20uf = 2000 Hz

I don't really understand the relationship between the crossover frequency for the bass vs. the treble. Does anyone have a guess as to whether 1200 Hz or 2000 Hz would be preferable for the treble cap?

I'm trying to decide between the following caps for the treble cap:

- ClarityCap ESA
- Obbligato Gold Premium
- Mundorf EVO Oil + Aluminum

Anyone have a view on the best cap to use there?

Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated, since PCX's 20% off sale expires today...(that's the reason for the exclamation point - apologies in advance...)

Best regards,
Adam

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 04:00:40 PM
The crossover component values, in a decent crossover, will work together with the drivers' impedance and frequency response, neither of which is flat with frequency, to produce the net acoustic response. So don't get too hung up on theoretical values based on perfect response and flat impedance!

For the lowpass function, it is second order, and the corner frequency is inversely proportional to the square root of inductance times capacitance, divided by two times pi. Bottom line, I get 433Hz. But the Q is about 0.5 so it's 6dB down at 433Hz if the woofer impedance is in fact 4 ohms (it probably isn't exactly). My guess is that the woofer is more sensitive, so the crossover also serves to shade in the woofer to create a baffle step correction along with the crossover function. That would make sense because the second order phase shift is twice as much as the highpass first order; by crossing them higher that excess phase shift is reduced.

Paul Joppa

Offline saildoctor

Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 04:08:11 PM
I'm using the Obbligato gold's for many of the caps in my system and think they're nice.  They at least feel substantial with in the anodized aluminum casing they have.  I haven't heard any of the other ones you mention though. 

Kerry Sherwin

45 Paramounts, 6SN7 Extended FPIII, OC3 regulated Seduction
Blumenstein Orca Deluxe / 2x Orca Subs
VPI Classic / ADC CD-100x

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 04:14:03 PM
Yep, Paul took the words right out of my mouth (yea right).. anyway, the take away is that, for some reason Magnepan likes to cross over that bass panel super low. Not sure why. My MMG's were stock crossed over at about 500. I increased that to about 1500hz for a more uniform sound. Its open for experimentation. I even took out the low pass all together at one point. It didnt sound bad, just not ideal.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline adamct

Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 04:26:25 PM
Eric has been helping me out through private messages, so I'll repeat here what I just wrote him:

"Hahahahahahahhahahahahaha!!!!!! Soooooooo..........get this.

I mentioned that there were different reports on the value of the cap for the treble panel: either 20uf, or 33uf. So I decided to open my MG12s to take a look and see what Magnepan installed in mine. I bought my MG12s used. At the time that I bought them, I didn't know anything about crossovers or mods. So I purposefully looked for a pair that was in stock form. But tonight I saw that the fuse was missing. Damn! I thought....the seller lied to me.

I took the staples from the bottom out, and slid up the sock a bit. I saw a Solen film cap. OK, that's the cap for the treble panel (the cap on the bass panel is an electrolytic in stock form). What value is it? It appears to be 30uf. What the...? So there are three different values out there? 20uf, 30uf and 33uf?

But then I see another cap is in there. OK, what value is that? 20uf. Now I'm confused. I pull the sock up some more. What do I find? 4 caps! There is a 20uf Solen wired in parallel to a Solen 30uf. OK, that's for the bass panel. Then there is a 33uf Solen cap bypassed with a 10uf Crescendo film and foil cap. OK....that's for the treble panel. This clearly isn't a stock crossover. Then the kicker: the inductor is a Jantzen Cross-Coil copper tape inductor!!!

Frankly, I'm not sure it's worth monkeying around with. I've loved the way my MG12s sound from the moment I got them. This crossover sounds brilliant as-is, so I'll leave we'll enough alone."

Apologies for wasting your collective time, but I appreciate the lesson nonetheless...

Humbly yours,
Adam
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 04:53:33 PM by adamct »

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 04:42:45 PM
Adam,

BTW, I was embarissed to look to long at the pictures.  It looked like he was pulling up its skirt!  You don't know what you are going to see in that situation.

Thats funny! It is a bit like that when you "violate" the maggies. I remember when I got rid of that fuse. It was like a mortal sin, or something. No issues running 500wpc of clean power. Then to hack out the "vasculature and the the internal organs". That was heart pounding!

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline adamct

Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 06:20:36 AM
Out of curiosity, is there any difference between bypassing caps, vs. wiring caps in parallel? I ask because the 33uf cap in my MG12s is "bypassed" with a 10uf cap. Doesn't that mean its effectively a 43uf cap, thereby affecting the crossover frequency?

Best regards,
Adam

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #8 on: August 03, 2013, 06:45:38 AM
Yep, bypassing caps is wiring them in parallel and the values are additive. That cant be the tweeter crossover (high pass), to low, they must be using them in combo with the inductor in the low pass filter. Your panel is a two way right?

Eric

Offline galyons

• Geary Lyons
Reply #9 on: August 03, 2013, 06:50:29 AM
Bypassing is putting a cap in parallel with another cap.  Typically one uses a bypass cap of 1/100, or so, value of the cap being bypassed. This is typically done to improve high frequency response.

Caps are also put in parallel to hit a target capacitance, which, IMO, is the case with you MG12's.  So yes it is effectively 43uF and that is the capacitance for the required frequency.

Cheers,
Geary

VPI TNT IV/JMW 3D 12+Benz LP-S>  Eros + Auralic Aries + ANK Dac 4.1 >Eros TH+ Otari MX5050 IIIB2 > BeePre >Paramount 300B 7N7 > EV Sentry IV-A

Thorens TD124/Ortofon RMG-212/SPU >Seduction > Smash^Up> Paramour 45 MQ >K12's

Offline adamct

Reply #10 on: August 03, 2013, 11:47:45 AM
Yep, bypassing caps is wiring them in parallel and the values are additive. That cant be the tweeter crossover (high pass), to low, they must be using them in combo with the inductor in the low pass filter. Your panel is a two way right?

No, it's definitely the tweeter crossover. For the bass crossover, the previous owner installed a 20uf cap in parallel with a 30uf cap (stock Magnepan uses a 50uf electrolytic).

Hmmmm....now I'm wondering if I should remove that 10uf bypass cap, or just leave well enough alone. Like I said, I love the way my system sounds as-is, so maybe if it ain't broke, I shouldn't "fix" it...

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #11 on: August 03, 2013, 12:31:28 PM
50uf electolytic.. No kidding! Thats wild... It get confusing... I like to use the term "low pass" and "high pass". The low pass allows the low frequencies to pass.

Eric

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #12 on: August 05, 2013, 11:44:28 AM
Hmmmm....now I'm wondering if I should remove that 10uf bypass cap, or just leave well enough alone. Like I said, I love the way my system sounds as-is, so maybe if it ain't broke, I shouldn't "fix" it...

A 10uF cap across a 33uF cap is not a bypass cap, it is acting to increase the capacitance value significantly.

A 0.33uF cap across a 33uF cap would be a bypass cap, in other words, it would have very little effect on the function of the circuit where it was being used.

If you have a 43uF first order crossover capacitor and an 8 Ohm resistive load, you would have a target frequency of 465Hz. 

Decreasing that to 33uF will bump that frequency up to 600Hz, you will hear that, and potentially grossly degrade the performance of your loudspeaker.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline adamct

Reply #13 on: August 05, 2013, 11:48:24 AM
I'm going to leave as-is, simply because I love the way my MG12s sound. But to be clear, the stock cap is a 33uf cap. The previous owner then installed a boutique grade 10uf cap in parallel with that cap. I agree it's not a bypass. Which is what led me to speculate whether I shouldn't remove it, and go back to the stock crossover values (the owner didn't change the cap value on the crossover for the bass panel, for example, he just replaced the 50uf eletrolytic with 20uf and 30uf films caps wired in parallel).

Best regards,
adam

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #14 on: August 05, 2013, 12:03:07 PM
Ah, yikes, I would attempt to contact the prior owner?  Have you tried the stock value?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man