Tubes and cats

RayP · 8679

Offline adamct

• Maxxximum CAPacity Crack
Reply #15 on: August 06, 2013, 04:16:26 AM
My Dad used to refer to it as a "multicolor fountain", whereas I've always been partial to "Calling Ralf in the big, white telephone"...

4krow

Reply #16 on: August 06, 2013, 04:20:10 AM
Ray, run cables from the basement, and put a lock on the door.

Cliff, I'll probably go to something like that. I was trying to take a photo of a small staue that I liked, but it just didn't work. In the meantime, I found Chris.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #17 on: August 06, 2013, 04:47:09 AM
We called it hugging the white horse in college.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline corndog71

Reply #18 on: August 06, 2013, 08:01:15 AM
I used to call it "Making an offer to the porcelain god."

The world was made for those not cursed with self-awareness.

Rob

Offline Grainger49

Reply #19 on: August 06, 2013, 10:33:28 AM
The "Yawn" was often used here in the 70s too.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #20 on: August 08, 2013, 04:50:52 AM
In place of a squirt bottle I've found that a can of compressed air works wonders.

How about "driving the porcelain bus", "selling Buicks", or "calling ralph and earl."

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline RayP

Reply #21 on: November 11, 2013, 02:44:05 AM
A followup ( or regurgitate ). While I was away travelling recently there were house sitters in our house. I had an old receiver hooked up to a pair of speakers that were more visually appealing than my usual monsters. I haven't got around to changing back and yesterday the cat barfed on the receiver and managed to kill it off. Some vomit fell onto the end of one of those ribbon cables and appears to have shorted out the power supply.

The cat survived. The vomit landed on the top of the case and then dribbled through the ventilation holes, a two step process which effectively insulated the cat. Getting back to my original question about a design to cat proof an amplifier, this looks like a possible technique.

ray

Ray Perry

Offline aragorn723

Reply #22 on: December 30, 2013, 02:59:03 PM
Speaking technically, as an engineer, I think liquids (such as squirt bottles or cat barf) should not contact a hot tube -  .  .  .  .   

I have tried and tried but I have no control over where the cat puke goes.  But I have good control over the water bottle.  I am always careful of staying away from my tube.

I have a cat who throws up almost every day.  There is a cat food that helps with this kind of stomach issue, it's called Purina One Sensitive Systems.  Maybe you can try that with your cat :) 

http://www.amazon.com/Purina-One-Sensitive-Systems-7-Pounds/dp/B0002MLAEQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1388455036&sr=8-2&keywords=purina+sensitive+systems

Offline Grainger49

Reply #23 on: December 31, 2013, 10:58:00 AM
The two current cats only throw up infrequently.  But our last cat was on the Purina One for the last 5 years of her life.  Very good food for a sensitive stomach.

Offline Brillo

Reply #24 on: December 31, 2013, 12:25:03 PM
Don't mean to sidetrack the thread, but might help to have your cat tested for feline thyroidism. We fed ours the Purina kibble mentioned for many years and he puked almost every day. Vet ran some blood tests and diagnosed thyroid issue from poor diet (and way way too many treats).   Had to switch to special diet kibble and wet food ($$$) from the vet, but he's puked once in the last 9 months. And is less nervous in general. Remarkable change in behavior. I still want to kill the f'er, but for many other reasons...   

Chris

Offline RayP

Reply #25 on: December 31, 2013, 01:19:47 PM
Yes, thyroid appears to be the problem. Catty-watty is on a special diet ($$$) and it seems to work for a while and then not, like a bad solder joint.

She also has the loud yeowly meow which interferes with the music during the day and sleep at night. It's amazing the volume that can come out of a small cat. Fortunately I am retired so the noise doesn't bother me too much.

I think she is deaf in one ear. I snapped my fingers on either side of her head and she only turned one way. I suspect it would be difficult to determine if she is losing the high frequencies.

If this all sounds a bit facetious, I can remember going to my father's house a year before he died and listening to his hi-fi system. Most of the music was coming out of one speaker and I realized that he had gone deaf in one ear. Occasionally I use a tone program to test my high frequencies and the results are getting quite sobering. 13k for me.

http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_frequencycheckhigh.php

ray

Ray Perry

Offline tuffy_puppy

Reply #26 on: December 31, 2013, 02:16:50 PM
maybe a year ago our local power company came by and replaced every one of our lightbulbs with the new flourescent types.  this led to our having an ABUNDANCE of the old type bulbs.  set up a cheap gooseneck lamp that is always on.  cat never even considers any other venue.  good kitty!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Oberst Oswald

Reply #27 on: January 01, 2014, 02:58:17 PM
13k for me also... 61 yrs.

X-Fi > Stello DA100 > BeePre > SEX 2.1, Beta 22 or Bijou.    Paramounts > Extended Foreplay III > Thiel CS2 
Stax SR-Lambda with SRD-7/SB
Denon D-7000
Audez'e LCD-2r2
Sennheiser HD 800

Offline STURMJ

Reply #28 on: January 01, 2014, 04:22:50 PM
Be careful using these website high frequency hearing testers (in assuming you get a accurate result). I tried them too and ended up hearing 13k too.  I was curious, because when I was much younger I maxed out the system, hearing 22k (I told them I wouldn't hear the next tone anyway) the testers where amazed.  I suspected that my computer was limited to that frequency, since the tones prior to me not hearing them, were clearly audible.  I downloaded test files and listened to them through my bottlehead gear and I could hear up to 16k, still not bad. :)

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #29 on: January 02, 2014, 05:44:26 AM
Interesting, i've done some tests myself and found my high limit is somewhere between 16-16.5k which i think is ok for someone in their late 30's.  Low limit was always 20hz until i bought the S.E.X. amp, i can clearly hear down to 10-12hz now which was a surprise, i had honestly never heard anything that low before using my other headphone amps.

M.McCandless