What are we buying these days?...

Chris · 61850

Offline Chris

Reply #240 on: July 26, 2015, 08:38:12 AM
Got lucky at the salvation army and amassed around 40  mint  columbia masterworks, 6 eye, london FFRR (england) , rca shaded dog, 1947 live perfomance of Satchmo ('51 stereo long play pressing) of some of the great performances by ormandy, bernstein, szell...   nutcracker suite, beethoven "the complete symphonies 7 album set) etc etc......    I am quite chuffed at my "haul"... 60 albums and 25 cds in total over my  2 weeks of scouring the SA and Goodwills and Ywca ALL for the princely sum of around 75 bucks......   not too bad.. I will be enjoying them all....

Offline Grainger49

Reply #241 on: July 27, 2015, 05:53:19 AM
I'm way behind.  I have had two marathon cleaning sessions in the last month.  These are what I'm playing and putting on the shelves:

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - Caravan
Ilse Delange - After The Hurricane
Modern Jazz Quartet - Porgy And Bess
Pentangle - Cruel Sister Transatlantic pressing (replacement for a very worn LP)
Procol Harum - Self Titled
Woodstock Two
It's A Beautiful Day - Self Titled (this thread is to blame for this one)
The Byrds Greatest Hits
Sonny Clark - Cool Struttin'
Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms MOFI 45 RPM 2 LPs
Nickel Creek - Self Titled
The Pentangle - Self Titled
Paul Revere & The Raiders Greatest Hits

More later, today I hope.

Offline Chris

Reply #242 on: July 27, 2015, 03:48:57 PM
Nice.....

Offline Grainger49

Reply #243 on: July 28, 2015, 03:37:40 AM
Second installment:

Mike Auldridge - Blues & Blue Grass
Mike Auldridge - Dobro
Mike Auldridge - High Time
The Beach Boys - Surfin' USA
The Beach Boys - Surfin' Safari
James Brown - Plays James Brown, Today & Yesterday
The Doobie Brothers - Captain And Me
ELP - Brain Salad Surgery
ELP - Pictures At Exhibition
ELP - Tarkus
Sergio - Brasileiro (new)
Modern Jazz Quartet - At Music Inn Guest Artist Sonny Rollins
Bonnie Raitt - Slipstream
Santana - Abraxas Quadraphonic (this is a very different mix)
The John Renbourn Group - A Maid In Bedlam
June Tabor - Ashes And Diamonds

Now it is time to buy more....

Offline Chris

Reply #244 on: July 28, 2015, 07:05:50 AM
Nice, where are you finding all of these?....

Offline Grainger49

Reply #245 on: July 28, 2015, 08:26:23 AM
Most came from ebay, some local LP shops.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #246 on: October 25, 2015, 03:58:03 AM
Ok, I have received and cleaned all my birthday present vinyl:

Miles Davis, Kind Of Blue, 45 RPM, Numbered etc. 2 LPs.  Just beautiful!

Mystic Moods Orchestra
, Another Stormy Night, 180g LP.  Great sound for a Guilty Pleasure.

The Manabu Ohishi Trio, Half Step, 180g LP. Jazz, well recorded $5.

Elvira, 2 Big Pumpkins/13 Nights of Halloween, 45rpm 7" Vinyl (Purple Vinyl) 'Nuff Said?

Blood, Sweat & Tears, 3 180g LP.

Nickel Creek, This Side, 150g 2LPs.

Paul Simon, Paul Simon, 180g LP, Sony Legacy (Columbia).  The bass will knock you over, remastered and bass boosted.

Paul Simon, Still Crazy After All These Years, 180g LP, Sony Legacy, same as above but the bass is better balanced.

Jimi Hendrix, 45 RPM 7" (name coming when I can make it upstairs).   Haven't listened yet.

Ghostbusters Soundtrack, 180g LP.

Oddly, the last two are not on the invoice on line.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 04:40:00 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Chris

Reply #247 on: October 26, 2015, 03:09:41 AM
Coheed and Cambria's latest in "tour" edition colored vinyl... 1000 made and only sold at the concert.. Not being a colored vinyl fan, it will be interesting to compare it to the black "audiophile" (their words) edition... I have always been told that colored vinyl while cool and everything, doesnt sound as good...
we shall see...

Offline Bill Epstein

Reply #248 on: October 31, 2015, 04:57:38 PM
Ok, I have received and cleaned all my birthday present vinyl:

Miles Davis, Kind Of Blue, 45 RPM, Numbered etc. 2 LPs.  Just beautiful!

Mystic Moods Orchestra
, Another Stormy Night, 180g LP.  Great sound for a Guilty Pleasure.

The Manabu Ohishi Trio, Half Step, 180g LP. Jazz, well recorded $5.

Elvira, 2 Big Pumpkins/13 Nights of Halloween, 45rpm 7" Vinyl (Purple Vinyl) 'Nuff Said?

Blood, Sweat & Tears, 3 180g LP.

Nickel Creek, This Side, 150g 2LPs.

Paul Simon, Paul Simon, 180g LP, Sony Legacy (Columbia).  The bass will knock you over, remastered and bass boosted.

Paul Simon, Still Crazy After All These Years, 180g LP, Sony Legacy, same as above but the bass is better balanced.

Jimi Hendrix, 45 RPM 7" (name coming when I can make it upstairs).   Haven't listened yet.

Ghostbusters Soundtrack, 180g LP.

Oddly, the last two are not on the invoice on line.

Hope you have the only "real" BS&T album, Child Is Father To The Man. It was great the way Dick Halligan stepped right up to the organ after Kooper went his way but Clayton-Thomas? Whenever I hear him I'm reminded of the "Murph and the Magic Tones" sequence in The Blues Brothers.

VPI Traveler/ZYX R50
Cinemag 3440 AH
Steve Brown Caravaggio Phono
Foreplay 2.1
The Twins: 55 Watt Mullard 5-20 KT-88 mono-Blocks
4 Pi Speakers

Offline Grainger49

Reply #249 on: November 01, 2015, 01:34:05 AM
Bill, I bought that decades ago.  It never really appealed to me.  I'm much more a David Clayton-Thomas fan. 

My favorite piece by them is a Jazz piece, Blues - Part II.  It is about 12 minutes long.  Then on BS&T 3 I really like 40,000 Headmen and Lucretia McEvil.  I'm a big fan of album cuts.

Offline Chris

Reply #250 on: November 21, 2015, 05:57:12 AM
coheed and cambria "the color before the sun" BLACK vinyl..    And i have to say BETTER late than never but i have fallen in love with the zombies.. !@$!@#%@# LOVE  their music and melodies......enjoying as we speak....
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 12:08:45 PM by Chris »

Offline Zimmer64

• Blog
Reply #251 on: November 21, 2015, 09:30:54 AM
Hi there,

The last CD's I bought were Valerie June - Pushin' against a stone and Lizz Wright - Freedom & Surrender. I saw Lizz live at Ronnie Scott's in London a few weeks ago. Don't miss her if you have a chance to hear her live. She's a brilliant singer.

Michael

Edit: Forgot to mention that I also bought Robert Johnson's recordings and all of John Mayer's CDs.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 09:34:40 AM by Zimmer64 »

Nelson Pass F5 Turbo V2, Quickie (mod), S.E.X. 2.1, Tubes4hifi SP14, Dynaco VTA ST 70, Tubelab SSE, Vroemen Diva Superiore ER4, Jordan JX92S VTL, 47 labs 0647 CD, Aqvox DAC, Rowen Absolute pre / psu / power amps, BG Neo3 / Betsy / Eminence A15 open baffles

Offline Adrian

Reply #252 on: November 22, 2015, 03:27:12 AM
Replaced two worn out albums:

Return To Forever, Romantic Warrior
Dave Brubeck Quartet, Time Out

New vinyl purchases:

Charles Mingus, Presents Charles Mingus
Madeleine Peyroux, Bare Bones

Adrian C.

VPI Prime w/Ortofon Quintet Black MC/Rothwell MCL Lundahl SUT/EROS/Submissive (3 output mod)/Mainline/Crack - Speedball/S.E.X. 2.1 - C4S/S.E.X. 3.0 - C4S/Paramounts - Blumenstein 2.2 Mini-Max w/DOF mod -Senn HD600/Viso HP50/Focal Elear.

Offline Chris

Reply #253 on: November 22, 2015, 11:21:53 PM
BETTER late than never... I have discovered my love for the Zombies sound recently and cannot get enough of their SUPERB Odessey and Oracle 40th anniv dvd concert...

JUST superb...... oh my goodness.....  LOVE it when you can sound better 40 years later and what a crazy story..... already broke up before the legendary album was released... hahahaha  rock & roll fubar in its purest form.....
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 05:06:26 AM by Chris »

Offline caffeinator

Reply #254 on: November 23, 2015, 01:06:22 AM
Here's a +1 for The Zombies....I've been a fan of them for years, but was recently thrilled to see them perform the entire "Odyssey and Oracle" album live at Benaroya Hall in Seattle - and with all the original band members present.  The performance was very good, and I picked up a new re-issue of "Odyssey and Oracle" on vinyl, as well as their latest release on CD (no vinyl available, at least yet).

I was surprised that it appeared they didn't sell out the place, but the people in attendance were definitely fans - many of them, I think, from back when the album first hit the streets...if you had a pie chart of the colors people were wearing that night, the top three would have definitely included 'tie-die.'