Puzzling problem with 6SN7 adapter

adamct · 16672

Offline Aeolus Kratos

Reply #15 on: August 24, 2013, 01:35:05 AM
Hi Adam,

What tube adapter are you using? My tube adapter finally arrived today, and I'm using it with no problem. There is not ANY noise or hum, and the Crack is even quieter than when I was using the 12AU7's and E80CC's. The sound is significantly improved, more air, bigger soundstage, better dynamic and very nice sparkling treble. The 6SN7's change the sound more noticeable than any tube types I have tried before ( i.e, 12AU7, 12BH7, E80CC )

Some of the pics of my tube adapter. And sorry for the image quality, my iPod's camera just sucks  :D

(https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/1003214_654603561218129_1949076875_n.jpg)

(https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/1186237_654603594551459_1364203996_n.jpg)

(https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/1005673_654603601218125_2013672518_n.jpg)

Very best,
Kratos.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 01:37:14 AM by Aeolus Kratos »

Offline adamct

• Maxxximum CAPacity Crack
Reply #16 on: August 24, 2013, 04:27:53 AM
Yeah, I ordered that adapter last night. It will be adapter #4 for me...  :(

Offline Aeolus Kratos

Reply #17 on: August 24, 2013, 05:09:43 AM
Yeah, I ordered that adapter last night. It will be adapter #4 for me...  :(
Nice!

Good luck with your purchase :)

Offline Grainger49

Reply #18 on: August 25, 2013, 06:51:37 AM
Obviously all adapters are not made equally (tip of the hat to George Orwell). 

Paully got some for his Eros and the first pair were perfect.  With Altec Valencias then Model 19s he would know if there was noise.

Offline Aeolus Kratos

Reply #19 on: August 28, 2013, 07:01:52 PM
Ok, now it's my turn to have some problems with the tube adapter. I don't know where to post this, so Adam, forgive me if this post bothers you.

I got a Chinese adapter of which I took photos and posted above the page. As you all know, the Crack has plenty of power, so you'll have no problem to reach a preferable level before it's too loud at approximately 9 o'clock position ( the minimum volume is at 7 ), and me too. Today, I inserted my 6SN7 Raytheon VT-231 into the Crack using the Chinese adapter. The initial impression was amazing, dynamic and fantastic sound, no hum at all. But when I shut down my DAC and turned the volume pot to about 10.30 to 11 o'clock position ( which is far beyond my reference volume level ), the hum started to appear. It varies on the volume level, the louder the volume is, the louder the hum. But when the volume pot reached about 3 o'clock, it's dead silent again, no hum. So as long as I turned my volume of my PC ( DAC ) to max and turn the Crack's volume pot to about 9 o'clock, it will be fine. But this hum bothers me a little bit.

I tried my E80CC back to my Crack and it's back to silent again. So I assume this was due to the fact that the Crack is not designed for using 6SN7? Because of higher gain or heater current of the 6SN7's?

Thanks a lot!
Kratos.

Offline Zimmer64

• Blog
Reply #20 on: August 28, 2013, 08:18:12 PM
The noise could also be the tube itself. Have you tried another one? I had some NOS russian 6SN7 that were noisy. I was looking for all sorts of technical issues until I replaced them with Sylvanias from the mid 50's, which solved the problem for me. Just a thought as I dont have a crack, but another preamp using 6SN7s.

Best of luck

Michael

Nelson Pass F5 Turbo V2, Quickie (mod), S.E.X. 2.1, Tubes4hifi SP14, Dynaco VTA ST 70, Tubelab SSE, Vroemen Diva Superiore ER4, Jordan JX92S VTL, 47 labs 0647 CD, Aqvox DAC, Rowen Absolute pre / psu / power amps, BG Neo3 / Betsy / Eminence A15 open baffles

w0lfd0g

Reply #21 on: August 28, 2013, 11:20:19 PM
Ok, now it's my turn to have some problems with the tube adapter. I don't know where to post this, so Adam, forgive me if this post bothers you.

I got a Chinese adapter of which I took photos and posted above the page. As you all know, the Crack has plenty of power, so you'll have no problem to reach a preferable level before it's too loud at approximately 9 o'clock position ( the minimum volume is at 7 ), and me too. Today, I inserted my 6SN7 Raytheon VT-231 into the Crack using the Chinese adapter. The initial impression was amazing, dynamic and fantastic sound, no hum at all. But when I shut down my DAC and turned the volume pot to about 10.30 to 11 o'clock position ( which is far beyond my reference volume level ), the hum started to appear. It varies on the volume level, the louder the volume is, the louder the hum. But when the volume pot reached about 3 o'clock, it's dead silent again, no hum. So as long as I turned my volume of my PC ( DAC ) to max and turn the Crack's volume pot to about 9 o'clock, it will be fine. But this hum bothers me a little bit.

I tried my E80CC back to my Crack and it's back to silent again. So I assume this was due to the fact that the Crack is not designed for using 6SN7? Because of higher gain or heater current of the 6SN7's?

Thanks a lot!
Kratos.

Hi Kratos

I have the same behaviour exactly with my adapter.  When using 6SN7 tubes I set the Crack volume to maximum and control the volume through my preamp.

Offline adamct

Reply #22 on: August 29, 2013, 01:20:55 AM
The noise could also be the tube itself. Have you tried another one? I had some NOS russian 6SN7 that were noisy. I was looking for all sorts of technical issues until I replaced them with Sylvanias from the mid 50's, which solved the problem for me. Just a thought as I dont have a crack, but another preamp using 6SN7s.

Best of luck

Michael

I've tried 5-6 different 6SN7s.

Offline Aeolus Kratos

Reply #23 on: August 29, 2013, 01:33:23 AM

Best of luck

Michael
Hi Michael,

I have tried several 6SN7 tubes, and the noise is still there, perhaps it's slightly different depending on tubes, but just very slightly. All the noise is very noticeable and unacceptable. As soon as I turned the volume pot to about 11 o'clock, it started to hum no matter what tube I was using.

Hi Kratos

I have the same behaviour exactly with my adapter.  When using 6SN7 tubes I set the Crack volume to maximum and control the volume through my preamp.
Hi wOlfdOg,

It's weird, because I am the opposite to you. I set the 'preamp' volume ( Foobar volume ) to maximum and then control the volume through my Crack. So I just needed to turn to about 9 o'clock to reach my preferable volume level.

I guess I'll clean up the tube pins and try it again.

So we have possibilities of the tube or the adapter.  I'll throw in another variable, short the inputs with jumpers or shorting plugs before testing hum. 

It could be the interconnects.  It could be that it was there but the new tube brought it out.  So you need to eliminate anything before the Crack.

Hi Grainger,

The hum was still there even without the source. So it can't be the interconnects. As soon as I turned the volume pot to 11 o'clock, the hum appeared.

Best,
Kratos.

w0lfd0g

Reply #24 on: August 29, 2013, 01:50:40 AM

Hi Kratos

"Hi wOlfdOg,

It's weird, because I am the opposite to you. I set the 'preamp' volume ( Foobar volume ) to maximum and then control the volume through my Crack. So I just needed to turn to about 9 o'clock to reach my preferable volume level."

This is what I would normally do, except when this dodgy adaptor.  My method results in no hum.  A workaround.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #25 on: August 29, 2013, 05:37:10 AM
Also, what did you mean by wire the Crack to use 6CG7/7AU7?

If you break the connection at pins 4/5, then move the black wire from pin 9 to the unoccupied pin (4 or 5) on the 9 pin socket, then you can use the 7AU7.  This will also allow you to plug in a 6CG7, which is roughly equivalent to a 6SN7.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline adamct

Reply #26 on: August 29, 2013, 06:52:46 AM
Thanks, PB. I think I'm going to leave it as-is. I'm very happy with how my Crack sounds with 12AU7s. The 6SN7s were an experiment. If the next adapter doesn't work, so be it.

Unless I decide to build a separate power supply for the 6SN7...

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #27 on: August 29, 2013, 10:30:12 AM
The volume control behavior suggests that there is some electric field coupling capacitively to the grid of the 6SN7. When the control is at either end, the impedance to ground is low so the high impedance of the capacitive coupling is shunted to ground - but at maximum impedance (around 3/4 of the way up for a logarithmic volume control) that interference does create an audible grid voltage.

My guess as the likeliest culprit is a grid wire inside the adapter is too close to a heater wire.

If anyone has a pile of adapters including the reverse (use 12AU7 in a 6SN7 socket), you could stack two so you test the 12AU7 with and without adapters, to prove whether it is the adapter or not. A 6-volt wall wart power supply feeding DC to the 6SN7 heater would also determine whether the heater power is the source. These are diagnostic suggestions, not long-term solutions of course.

Paul Joppa

w0lfd0g

Reply #28 on: August 29, 2013, 03:42:57 PM
The volume control behavior suggests that there is some electric field coupling capacitively to the grid of the 6SN7. When the control is at either end, the impedance to ground is low so the high impedance of the capacitive coupling is shunted to ground - but at maximum impedance (around 3/4 of the way up for a logarithmic volume control) that interference does create an audible grid voltage.

My guess as the likeliest culprit is a grid wire inside the adapter is too close to a heater wire.

If anyone has a pile of adapters including the reverse (use 12AU7 in a 6SN7 socket), you could stack two so you test the 12AU7 with and without adapters, to prove whether it is the adapter or not. A 6-volt wall wart power supply feeding DC to the 6SN7 heater would also determine whether the heater power is the source. These are diagnostic suggestions, not long-term solutions of course.

In my mind it is definitely the adaptor.  I have tested thirty odd 6SN7s with the same outcome in each case.

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #29 on: August 29, 2013, 05:51:58 PM
Have any of you considered installing an Octal socket? Not hard to do.

If I was considering the 6SN7, and I would. That's what I would do. Give it a fair chance.

We can help...John   

John S.