Audiocap Theta .01 uf coupling cap & Jantzen Z-Superior 3.3 uf parafeed cap

Downhome Upstate · 6269

Offline Downhome Upstate

Jantzen's website says no burn-in is necessary, and what a difference right off the bat. Improved clarity, extended top end, more air around instruments, deeper soundstage & more tuneful bass. On Manu Katche's self-titled hdtracks hi-def download, I can hear the notes of each of the the pieces in Katche's drum kit. An immediately noticeable and very pleasant surprise for my 2A3 Stereomour. No bypass yet. Can't wait to hear what's next after the Audiocap settles down (mfr. Relcap recommends 48 hours).

"Too soon old;
   Too late schmart"

The late Mr. Fox, Fox's Deli, Rochester, NY

Mike P.

Offline earwaxxer

The Jantzen superior Z's are a good budget option. I have used them in speaker crossovers. I ended up liking the paper/oils better.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline Downhome Upstate

Hey, Eric. The thing is, it sure doesn't sound like the economy brand. If you're a detail freak, this pairing is pretty neat.

"Too soon old;
   Too late schmart"

Mike P.

Offline earwaxxer

Hey Mike - agreed on the detail of the Z's. Probably perfect with an all tube power section. I have SS in the power amp. Need a bit more euphony.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline 2wo

• Test
Hey Eric, I think you would like the Russian K-40's, my favorite PIO cap. I keep going back to it in my SR-45. just seem natural to me.

I think that, if they weren't so cheep...they would be expensive...John   

John Scanlon

Offline earwaxxer

Hey John - I have toyed with the idea of going Russian. I know Granger likes them.

I now have the AmpOhm paper/oil in my crossovers, bypassed with Mundorf silver/oil. I can say, now, that its not broken, so I have a certain inertia to fix it. Not saying it cant be improved! As I get happier with my kit It becomes harder to mess with it. Its funny, I'm not sure if its getting older or what, but I have been just listening lately. Not thinking about how to mod it. Its nice for a change. Probably wont last long thought....

Eric

Offline galyons

• Geary Lyons
.... Russian K-40's, my favorite PIO cap.

Hard to beat the K40's on sonics, price, value and build quality.  One of the few true PIO's that can make the claim.  I also like the KGB's, (for higher capacitance), which are essentially double wound K-40's is a sealed tub.

American  "True" PIO's from Sprague, WestCap, FastCap, etc. are also very nice, but price and availability have made them tough to find.  They were scooped up for guitar amps.

AmpOhm PIO's were nice, as well, but sadly defunct.  I have them, aluminum, in a SE Kt88 amp, very sweet.  I have pair of coppers on the shelf for the right match.  The aluminum with wax paper were also sweet, but honestly the Russian MBG's sounded the same and are readily available dirt cheap.

There aren't many players making true PIO's and those few seem to be plagued with reliability issues.

The metalized polyprops in oil are better than those without, but they are not PIO's, regardless of the marketing hype. They are simply plastic caps in an oil bath to try to tame the nasties. But I am biased, I just don't like the sound of metalized plastic caps.

Cheers,
Geary
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 07:40:57 PM by galyons »

VPI TNT IV/JMW 3D 12+Benz LP-S>  Eros + Auralic Aries + ANK Dac 4.1 >Eros TH+ Otari MX5050 IIIB2 > BeePre >Paramount 300B 7N7 > EV Sentry IV-A

Thorens TD124/Ortofon RMG-212/SPU >Seduction > Smash^Up> Paramour 45 MQ >K12's

Offline Downhome Upstate

.... Russian K-40's, my favorite PIO cap.

Hard to beat the K40's on sonics, price, value and build quality.  One of the few true PIO's that can make the claim.  I also like the KGB's, (for higher capacitance), which are essentially double wound K-40's is a sealed tub.

American  "True" PIO's from Sprague, WestCap, FastCap, etc. are also very nice, but price and availability have made them tough to find.  They were scooped up for guitar amps.

AmpOhm PIO's were nice, as well, but sadly defunct.  I have them, aluminum, in a SE Kt88 amp, very sweet.  I have pair of coppers on the shelf for the right match.  The aluminum with wax paper were also sweet, but honestly the Russian MBG's sounded the same and are readily available dirt cheap.

There aren't many players making true PIO's and those few seem to be plagued with reliability issues.

The metalized polyprops in oil are better than those without, but they are not PIO's, regardless of the marketing hype. They are simply plastic caps in an oil bath to try to tame the nasties. But I am biased, I just don't like the sound of metalized plastic caps.

Cheers,
Geary

Hey there, Geary

Pulled the Jantzen Z's  - not enough tone after all. But the Siemens 2.2 uf MKV metalized polypropylene in oil in parafeed position are sweet, especially at $20 for the pair off of fleabay. The tone is back, and at this value there's no bottom-end distortion. Tried the 4.7 uf value, and the bass got muddy. EML warns not to use PIO's as coupling caps with their tubes and I've got EML 2A3-S, so I'm trying plastic there. Waiting on some Multicap RTX & Auricap's at 0.1 uf to compare with the Audiocap Theta.

So it goes . . .

Best,

Mike

"Too soon old;
   Too late schmart"

Mike P.

Offline galyons

• Geary Lyons
Hi Mike,
I have heard good things about the Seimens/EPCOS MPP in oil.  I have not heard them myself, but on the other DIY sites I frequent, they compare and, in some areas, better the Mundorf SIO.  You got a god buy, every time I look at then on eBay they are much more than $20.

Cheers,
Geary

VPI TNT IV/JMW 3D 12+Benz LP-S>  Eros + Auralic Aries + ANK Dac 4.1 >Eros TH+ Otari MX5050 IIIB2 > BeePre >Paramount 300B 7N7 > EV Sentry IV-A

Thorens TD124/Ortofon RMG-212/SPU >Seduction > Smash^Up> Paramour 45 MQ >K12's

Offline johnsonad

Interesting. I just picked up a pair to put into my S.E.X.

Aaron Johnson

Offline Downhome Upstate

I had bought a pair of Mundorf SIO for the Stereomour, but before I put them in I read a thread here where PJ cautioned about using 55C rated caps in a 2A3 amp because of the higher ambient temperature. (They're now on the Asylum, Audio Circle and US AudioMart for sale.)

"Too soon old;
   Too late schmart"

Mike P.

Offline Downhome Upstate

Hi Mike,
I have heard good things about the Seimens/EPCOS MPP in oil.  I have not heard them myself, but on the other DIY sites I frequent, they compare and, in some areas, better the Mundorf SIO.  You got a god buy, every time I look at then on eBay they are much more than $20.

Cheers,
Geary

You're right. I went back to check my purchases on ebay. They were $29.90 for the pair.

"Too soon old;
   Too late schmart"

Mike P.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Hey Mike,

Another nice option to try for the 0.1 uF interstage caps is the Rel cap true film/foil PCU series.  Not ridiculously expensive and very nice sonics and will not void the EML warranty.

BTW, the mundorf SIOs are not exactly pure paper as many people think -- these as well as other brands like Jupiter are actually a paper/plastic composite (mylar).

I figured you'd come to the conclusion you did with the Jantzens but I didn't want to say anything because who knows what things sound like to you, but for me personally those are in my avoid category.

Just my 2 cents,

Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Downhome Upstate

Hey Mike,

Another nice option to try for the 0.1 uF interstage caps is the Rel cap true film/foil PCU series.  Not ridiculously expensive and very nice sonics and will not void the EML warranty.

BTW, the mundorf SIOs are not exactly pure paper as many people think -- these as well as other brands like Jupiter are actually a paper/plastic composite (mylar).

I figured you'd come to the conclusion you did with the Jantzens but I didn't want to say anything because who knows what things sound like to you, but for me personally those are in my avoid category.

Just my 2 cents,

Jim

Hi Jim,

Thanks. I'll keep the RelCap PCU's in mind and try them next time up if my current experiment doesn't work out. I just received 2 more candidates to play with as coupling caps: the Multicap RTX and the Auricap. If I'm not careful, his could easily become a never-ending project. 

Mike

"Too soon old;
   Too late schmart"

Mike P.