Forum software quirk

adamct · 2194

Offline adamct

• Maxxximum CAPacity Crack
on: August 12, 2013, 05:22:02 AM
Does it bother anyone else that the forum software kicks you into the relevant product forum (e.g., Crack, S.E.X., Quickie, etc.) each time after you post a comment?

I tend to use the "Show unread posts since last visit" link. I then click on a post, read the new content, and sometimes reply. When I click "Post" it kicks me out of the thread I was commenting on, and into the relevant product forum. This means that I have to (i) click back into the thread in order to verify that my comment posted properly and to check for typos (true, I could preview a post before posting it, but that usually seems like a time-consuming and unnecessary step), and (ii) click back several times or else click on the "show unread posts" link again in order to read the next unread post.

From my perspective, at least, it would be much more convenient if, after clicking "post" on a comment, the system just left you in the thread you were in...

Best regards,
Adam

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 05:26:09 AM
We are embarking upon a major revamp of the website, that will take a few months to complete. Perhaps when that is complete we can take a look at this forum and see if some things can be changed.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline adamct

Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 05:55:58 AM
Two suggestions (just creating a list for you):

1. There really should be a permanent link from the forum to the Bottlehead products page. I know this was discussed earlier, but I don't think it was ever implemented.

2. You might want to consider implementing some sort "tag" feature for posts, to distinguish posts where people are seeking advice and/or help, vs. posts where people are, ummmmmmmm..... Well, I can't think of an appropriate euphemism, so I'll just say "not seeking advice". Might be a way to save you guys some time when trying to keep up with posts.

Best,
Adam

Offline Grainger49

Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 10:55:29 AM
When I post I end up in the thread I posted in looking at my new post.  Adam, you must be on the browser's Fecal Roster.  Yes, I'm serious. about where I end up, anyway.

It must be in your settings.  I just put in a quick response of "Test" and ended up looking at my post.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 02:45:31 PM by Grainger49 »

Offline adamct

Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 11:41:21 AM
[chuckle]

..."Fecal Roster"...

I'm going to have to remember that one...[laughing]

Offline adamct

Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 11:42:14 AM
Nope. Just tried it again/above. I got kicked into the "General Discussion" forum, looking at a list of thread titles.

Offline Chris

Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 04:59:58 PM
I am with the G man.. Mine is the same as his...
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 05:43:48 PM by Chris »

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 07:47:28 PM
1) Click on "Profile."

2) Hover cursor over "Modify Profile."

3) Select "Look and Layout."

4) Check the box next to "Return to topics after posting by default."

5) Scroll to bottom and click "Change Profile."

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline azrockitman

Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 09:27:35 PM
You may not have the time or desire but maybe you could start a thread for users to post comments/frustrations/suggestions?  Since you are revamping anyway, some of said comments might be easy to implement.

One quick one from me is that there does not appear to be a way to return to the BH home page when in the forum. 

Exciting stuff though.

Esoteric DV-50, Technics SL1200-M3D, B&K Phono 10 Preamp, Sumiko Blue Point Special Evo III, Bottlehead Stereomour, Orca's

Offline Grainger49

Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 12:12:04 AM
When the new forum started I started a thread in the General forum, Forum Tricks, I think.

Here, It might not be a link, it should have been:

Forum Suggestions/Forum Tricks
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 12:14:48 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline adamct

Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 02:03:42 AM
1) Click on "Profile."

2) Hover cursor over "Modify Profile."

3) Select "Look and Layout."

4) Check the box next to "Return to topics after posting by default."

5) Scroll to bottom and click "Change Profile."

Awesome, thanks!

Offline mSummers

Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 07:30:57 AM
Doc, whenever you get around to looking at updates to the forum, check out the possibility of adding the Tapatalk API plugin http://www.tapatalk.com/activate_tapatalk.php  It allows the forum to work with the Tapatalk App for Android and iOS devices.  I use it with a couple of photography forums that I frequent and the user interface on the iPhone and iPad is much easier to use than the regular web interface on those devices.

- Michael

Offline adamct

Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 08:29:00 AM
I've never tried Tapatalk, but I have noticed that more and more forums are using it. I consider greater standardization a plus...

Offline rif

Reply #13 on: August 13, 2013, 09:54:23 AM
Whenever I click on a post, I always open it in a new tab.

-david