Crispy Crack Speedball added - Goofy problem - Solved

John EH · 1186

Offline John EH

Built in Speedball after the stock build.  It was spot on perfect and imagine my surprise when I cranked it up all the LED's lit and the voltages were nailed and the right channel sounded like crap.  Half volume and static-ey.

Let this be a lesson to all builders out there.  TROUBLESHOOT THE STUPID AND MOST OBVIOUS STUFF FIRST!

I put it on the bench loosened the Speedball screws, inspected everything and scratched my head.  Perfect.  Just perfect.

Right channel still bad.  Back on the bench.  Wet down all right channel stuff.   Static.

Change 12AU7.  Perfect.   My 12AU7 in the kit just gave up the ghost I guess.  Pins look like crap so maybe I'll clean them and see what happens.  I then checked 5 other 12AU7's to make sure it was a tube thing and not a socket thing.

So I did it all right the first time just wasn't smart enough to know I did it right the first time.

All good.  Anyway CHECK YOUR TUBES AND CABLES FIRST then troubleshoot.

Pic of Krusty Krack naked.

Oh, by the way it sounds AWESOME!

Offline John EH

Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 04:03:30 PM
Krispy Crack Update:  Really sounds amazing.   This one has zero floor noise. Dead silent even at full volume. The other one I built recently has an imperceptible amount of floor noise only at max volume.

Both sound great.  Nod to CrackPipe because it has the Goldpoint.  Gotta roll some caps soon.

John

Offline Grainger49

Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 04:24:11 AM
John,

What happens is you swap tube sets between the two?  Does the tiny noise follow?

I'm just wondering.