Speaker upgrade confusion

adamct · 15280

Offline adamct

• Maxxximum CAPacity Crack
on: August 19, 2013, 12:35:23 PM
First, a bit of history: I know next to nothing about speakers, but I know a fair amount about headphones. I mostly listen to contemporary music, although that can be all over the map stylistically, from electronica, to folk, to indie rock, to pure pop and vocal jazz.

When we bought a house two years ago (in what I consider a suburb, but my wife considers rural), after years of moving around and living in apartments, I decided to buy a nice stereo system. I did some research online, and wound up with a Vincent SV-236 Mk amp, an Audio-Gd DAC based on PCM1704UK chips and a pair of PSB T6 speakers. While I liked the T6 speakers, they never really got me particularly excited. A friend I trust recommended that I get a pair of Magnepan MMGs and an economical sub. I wound up getting a pair of MG12s instead, along with a sub. When I first hooked up the MG12s, I was blown away. And every time I listen to them, I am absolutely floored. I love them. I love their sound. The MG12s provide clarity, detail and sweetness, while the sub fills in the bottom end in a way that is emminently satisfying. And I found there was just absolutely no comparison between the MG12s and the T6s -- the MG12s just seemed to blow the T6s away. It was like they weren't even in the same league.

But the experience has left me a bit confused about a few things and the next logical steps when it comes to be time to upgrade:

1. Do you think it is the MG12s in particular that impressed me, or is it just that I am reacting to the planar sound as compared to "box" speakers?

2. Do you think the T6s are overrated? They were the subject of glowing online reviews from numerous sources. Did I just expect too much from them? Would more expensive "box" speakers be significantly better?

3. Do you think that there are "box" speakers that would be a clear upgrade over the MG12s, or would I be best off by upgrading to other planars?

4. There are obviously speakers out there that cost a fortune -- and I don't even mean a small fortune, I mean an actual fortune. But then I take a look at something like this kit, and wonder if it isn't possible to put together world-class speakers for somewhere around $3,000-3,500 (after including the cost of enclosures). From what I understand, Zaph Audio is well-respected when it comes to speaker designs, the kit uses well-regarded components (including two  Scan-Speak Revelator drivers per speaker), the crossover (particularly the upgraded version) seems to use pretty good components, etc. Are commercial speakers that cost, say $8,000+ really going to be better? Or would I be paying for $5,000 worth of veneer and marketing, but getting inferior components and sound quality? I know that good components are not, by themselves, a guarantee of sound quality, but it isn't like this is some cockamamie design from an amateur hackjob...

Thoughts?

Best regards,
Adam

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 02:34:29 PM
There are a lot of variables that go into a system.  It could be amp/speaker interaction, speaker/room interaction, or just your listening preferences.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline corndog71

Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 03:27:17 PM
When it comes to commercial speakers you're best bet is to get out there and listen to as many as you can.  Find a pair that get you moving.  Don't just look at the outsides or the marketing or the specs.  LISTEN!

Consider selling all of your gear and trying something different. 

Keep your mind open.

Good luck.

The world was made for those not cursed with self-awareness.

Rob

Offline adamct

Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 03:38:28 PM
Yeah...I guess I'll have to see if I can find a good place to audition speakers next time I'm in NYC...

Offline adamct

Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 03:40:34 PM
Consider selling all of your gear and trying something different. 

I have to admit I'm very, very happy with my amp and DAC(s), so I don't see those changing quickly, although I can see myself buying a second amp at some point to "play" with, before making a decision. But I won't let the Vince t go lightly.  ;D

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 03:59:49 PM
Hey Adam - If you like the sound of the "plannars" then that may be where you should stay. IMO the one downside to the panels is the lack of punch. What I may do is build my own some day with a ribbon tweeter and some nice cones for the punch. Kink of like how Martin Logan has done. IMO its the best of both worlds. OR - buy a Martin Logan!

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline adamct

Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 04:40:55 PM
That is pretty close to what I feel I have now. The sub gives the punch and rounds out the sound. And the Vincent is 250W into 4 Ohms and really makes the MG12s sing. Long term, I think I will wind up getting a pair of 3.7s, provided I can wear my wife down enough over the next 10 years or so.

What I really want isn't necessarily new speakers, it is time to listen to the speakers I have!

4krow

Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 05:07:56 PM
  I was always curious about the Vincent. Looks like it sounds as good as it looks. As far as speakers go, I tried so many over the years , that I couldn't name them all. It was a blast, but like you, I was still looking for 'my sound'. For me, it all came together when I went the open baffle way of things. Even then, not all full range drivers impressed me. The 'shout' problem was prevelant in many that I heard. But regular box speakers were a thing of the past for me. I CAN say that more likely than any other change in system character can come from speakers. The fact that you like the Maggies tells you what YOU should look(listen) for. The Martin Logans may be worth a listen. Don't stop there. Get around as many kinds as you have available to hear what you like and DONT like.

Offline Brent

Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 05:10:54 PM
What I really want isn't necessarily new speakers, it is time to listen to the speakers I have!

Amen to that. There's not much better cure for an itch to tweak, upgrade, or otherwise generally f#$@ around with my stereo than being unable to listen to it for a while. Then, I'm just happy to sit, have a drink, play a record, and be reminded that my stereo sounds pretty damn good.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 05:52:45 PM
This is a sad statement for us guys.... "just to have the opportunity to listen"... God, thats depressing. It shouldnt be that hard!

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline adamct

Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 05:59:00 PM
In my case, the problem is that I get home, then (if I'm lucky) eat dinner with my wife and kids and put the girls to bed. Our walls transmit sound better than a stethoscope, so no listening to speakers after that. So I'll have to wait a few years until the girls can stay up past 8pm...

4krow

Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 10:30:46 PM
  I raised my kids as a single parent, so things got done differently. And of course, there is no right way, you just do your best. Anyway, I didn't think about the music making too much noise, because it's music, not noise. Looking back, I was not aware that it mattered(20/20 hindsight). Years later, my youngest son told me how much he enjoyed the music at night(no, not a good time for heavy metal). Funny how that works. I'm betting that if my parents played music past my bedtime, it would have kept me up.

Offline Brent

Reply #12 on: August 20, 2013, 04:30:46 AM
Okay, okay, I should have stated that differently. I have it pretty good: I listen to music almost every day, usually for several hours a day, since I work at home four days a week. I was trying to convey something along the lines of "being away from it for a day or three or fifteen, such as when traveling or after a busy weekend, makes me appreciate that what I have is pretty good." That's all.

I do have small children, but they hear lots of music thanks to my habits. I have been focusing on sound quality at lower SPLs lately, since I also often spin a few records at night after the kids have gone to bed. I'm currently breaking in a pair of Markaudio Alpair 10p drivers in some hacked together bookshelf-sized cabinets. They are about as clean and accurate a full range driver as I have heard, within their limitations. They are a bit underpowered with my SEX 2.0 though, which is why I have a pair of 300B Paramounts on order. This setup probably won't have the slam that Eric and Adam are talking about, but it should deliver the goods in almost every other way possible.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 04:38:08 AM by Brent »

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #13 on: August 20, 2013, 04:45:32 AM
If you possibly can, attend a regional audio show. RMAF would probably be the first choice, but if distance is an issue there has been a show in New York the past few years. And there are several others like AXPONA in Chicago and the shows in LA, SF and the DC area.

Yes the rooms are less than ideal. Yes, some guys don't take the effort to properly set up their system. But even so you can get a huge (sometimes overwhelming) sampling of what's out in the market these days in a single weekend. You might not find your dream speaker, but you might go a long way in narrowing your choices.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline adamct

Reply #14 on: August 20, 2013, 05:31:11 AM
That's an excellent idea. I'll start looking into show schedules. I have to believe there is a lot going on in NYC...