A new project fell into my lap...

porcupunctis · 5630

Offline porcupunctis

• 0D3
Reply #15 on: August 25, 2013, 06:41:34 AM
Are my eyes getting tired, or are the markings on the diode in the schematic the opposite of what you would expect?  Isn't the cathode on the bar side?

Randall Massey
Teacher of Mathematics
Lifetime audio-electronics junkie

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #16 on: August 26, 2013, 05:39:25 PM
Welcome to the wonderful world of electronics...  the cathode goes to the positive capacitor terminal, which is correct. It's not usual to use + and - on diodes these days. This is probably why!

Paul Joppa

Offline porcupunctis

• 0D3
Reply #17 on: August 27, 2013, 03:25:55 PM
Is this another one of those things we can blame on Ben Franklin?

Randall Massey
Teacher of Mathematics

Offline Grainger49

Reply #18 on: August 30, 2013, 10:48:48 AM
I think Ben was a DC guy like Edison.  But maybe!

Offline bobster

Reply #19 on: August 30, 2013, 10:57:40 AM
That thing looks older than the hills.  I'm enjoying the heck out of this - don't stop until victory isin your grasp!  8)

Bob Musson
Seduction (extended), Foreplay, Paramours, Klipsch Heresys, Orcas, Crack plus HD 600s
Lovin the Bottlehead sound in Maryland

Offline porcupunctis

• 0D3
Reply #20 on: August 30, 2013, 01:50:29 PM
I fully intend to keep up the fight until this thing sings once again.  I just can't get anything done during the week while I'm teaching.  I'm sure I will be back at it this weekend after grading papers and coaching a cross-country meet. 

Randall Massey
Teacher of Mathematics

Offline porcupunctis

• 0D3
Reply #21 on: September 10, 2013, 02:08:57 PM
OK, got some new parts in and spent part of my weekend basically rebuilding the whole system.  The only items that I did not replace at this point is the stylus/cartrigde, the output transformer and the switch/potentiometer.

My voltages are much stronger, but still not up to spec and we're still not actually amplifying.  It does seem to pass whatever input it gets to the speaker, though.

Here is the schematic with voltages labeled.  All voltages are DC unless noted with VAC.  I have to think that the only remaining culprit would be the output transformer.

Here it is:

Randall Massey
Teacher of Mathematics

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #22 on: September 10, 2013, 06:18:19 PM
Per your posted voltages, it looks like it is working fine. Keep in mind that the tube has to drive the speaker as well as provide gain. I am too lazy to look up the tube. Try driving it with a high output line stage, like a Foreplay 2 and see how that works...John 

John Scanlon

Offline porcupunctis

• 0D3
Reply #23 on: September 11, 2013, 03:02:30 PM
Unfortunately, it isn't really working.  Paul Joppa mentioned that I should have closer to 135v on pin 7 and I'm a bit shy on that.  I even hooked up my signal generator to the input and go no amplification whatsoever.  It basically sounded the same if I hooked the generator up to the inputs or just straight to the speaker.  It is passing but not amplifying the signal.

I will probably swap out the output xformer with a speco 7010 (old style) when I get a chance.  May be a few days.

Randall Massey
Teacher of Mathematics

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #24 on: September 11, 2013, 05:28:51 PM
I wouldn't bother replacing the output transformer, you can generate 60Hz and measure the input vs. output voltage (AC) to see if the ratio still looks good.

The 25C5 is drawing a pretty healthy amount of current, and it looks like you have ~254 Ohms of resistance on the primary of the output transformer, which is generally a good sign. 

Looking at the 25C4 datasheet, there's an operating point that is 110V plate, 110V screen, 7.5V bias, 4ma screen current, 50ma plate current. 

This isn't horribly off from your datapoint, the decreased screen voltage will raise the gain slightly.  With the book operating point, you get 1.9 watts output, which would be 3.9V into 8 Ohms (2.75V into 4 Ohms), but with more voltage needed at the grid of the 25C5 to get you there (the output transformer step-down isn't helping).

You could have a bit of a dead 25C5, did you try another?  If you dropped the screen voltage even lower, I would expect gain to go up bit.  Also, a ceramic phono cartridge can have in excess of 1V of output, which would not require much voltage gain from the 25C5.  (Frankly, if the ceramic cartridge was removed and replaced by a moving magnet cartridge, you'll really spin your wheels trying to get the player to work properly)

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #25 on: September 11, 2013, 05:32:09 PM
You did replace the 30u & 50u caps?

John Scanlon

Offline porcupunctis

• 0D3
Reply #26 on: September 12, 2013, 06:15:37 PM
Yes, every cap and resistor was replaced.  I have three tubes.  The original plus two NOS tubes recently purchased.  Could be the ones I bought were not all that good.  I will do some tube swapping Friday night.

Randall Massey
Teacher of Mathematics

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #27 on: September 14, 2013, 05:15:45 AM
The Selenium rectifier as well?

John Scanlon

Offline porcupunctis

• 0D3
Reply #28 on: September 14, 2013, 08:20:26 AM
Rectifier got replaced with the caps.  The only remaining original parts are the socket, switch/pot, and the cartridge/stylus.

Last night I connected the cartridge directly to a rat shack "Archer" 9v amp and got a little gain but not a lot and it was pretty noisy since it was not properly grounded.  This at least tells me the cartridge is putting out some signal.  Just do not know if it is up to spec or not.

I have had one online vendor tell me I would not be able to find a new replacement cartridge.  Buggers!

Randall Massey
Teacher of Mathematics

Offline Grainger49

Reply #29 on: September 14, 2013, 09:00:32 AM
If it is set up for a ceramic cartridge you can feed it one leg of your CD player's output to test it.