Am I the only one happy with the sound of a CD player?

johnsonad · 10599

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #15 on: September 04, 2013, 05:21:04 PM
I had a Rega Apollo as well. Nice piece of kit for the bucks. Computer bested it. Funny thing is, I sold it for MORE than I paid for it! I guy here in Tucson bought it from me (we met at a Starbucks on Broadway and Kolb) - right down the street from where I bought it (wholesale) - Brett Interiors - Greg - I thought you would like that story!

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

4krow

Reply #16 on: September 04, 2013, 06:19:09 PM
 The only thing that I sold for more than I paid was my soul.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #17 on: September 05, 2013, 03:54:56 AM
The only thing that I sold for more than I paid was my soul.

I did that too... I'm fixin to buy it back!

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline Paully

Reply #18 on: September 05, 2013, 05:14:44 AM
A friend actually bought somebody's soul in college.  The seller needed money pretty badly.  So he sold it to my friend for $20 and signed a piece of paper to that effect.  The bad thing was that the seller was actually the son of a preacher and he regretted being so flippant pretty quickly and was always trying to buy it back.  But my friend kept the paper in his wallet and whenever they would drink he would pull it out and say "Hey Sam, I got your soul!".  And it really did torment the guy.  I believe he still has that piece of paper.

4krow

Reply #19 on: September 05, 2013, 10:16:21 AM
 I went to camp with a kid whose father was a cobbler. He answered the phone once, "Sissons shoe service, how's your sole?" This kid was gifted with that kind of humor every moment it seemed.

Offline adamct

• Maxxximum CAPacity Crack
Reply #20 on: September 05, 2013, 03:01:50 PM
Sounds like he couldn't keep his tongue in check. What a heel. Or was he otherwise pretty straight-laced?

4krow

Reply #21 on: September 05, 2013, 05:01:24 PM
Way to go, now there aren't more shoe puns for the rest of us. Perhaps you should be punished in a punatentery. THAT wouldn't be very punny, now would it.

Offline adamct

• Maxxximum CAPacity Crack
Reply #22 on: September 06, 2013, 04:54:00 AM
I'm reminded of one of my favorite quotes (I don't know who said it):

"Some claim that the pun is the lowest form of humor. I, on the other hand, believe it is the foundation of all humor..."

And just now I came across this Edgar Allen Poe quote: "the goodness of the true pun is in the direct ratio of its intolerability.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #23 on: September 06, 2013, 08:41:52 AM
You know Poe was on drugs, heavy drugs, right? 

I am a big fan of Poe's writings.  Have been since the fifth grade.

4krow

Reply #24 on: September 06, 2013, 10:13:02 AM
Waaait a minute there buddy. Poe hadn't even written in his diary yet when you were in 5th grade.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #25 on: September 06, 2013, 02:42:02 PM
You know Poe was on drugs, heavy drugs, right? 

I am a big fan of Poe's writings.  Have been since the fifth grade.

Those were the good old days... Opium - legal, Cocaine - legal, pot - legal. It would make Amsterdam look tame.

Eric

Offline Tickwomp

Reply #26 on: September 09, 2013, 04:06:12 AM
I listen to my 47labs kit player on weekdays. And I really enjoy its sound, which is better than my Denon DVD3910 that I use for the few SACD I have. Weekends is vinyl mostly.

@Tickwomp: How do you like your Audio Note Dac? Would you recommend it?

The Audio Note Kit DAC is stunning and I definetly recommend it.  Once I had my Parmounts and Foreplay III running/playing I wanted to implement a music server and replace my modified Oppo 83-SE. 

It would have been cheaper to simply wait for the BH DAC, but I'm much too impatient.  And, it was this impatience that led me to Audio Note Kits (ANK).  The DAC was so impressive that I build and installed a ANK preamp into my system.  Now that I've finally finished my car project, I'm saving up for the interstage monos to complete the system.

Now don't get me wrong, I've got nothing but love for BH.   My Paramounts sound so good that everyone who comes over for a listen simply can't believe that they are making such incredible music.  More than once, I've had to yank a speaker cable off an amp to "prove" it was actually powering a speaker (and not some hidden component). 

Mach2 Mac Mini->Amarra Mini-> Chronos Athena USB Cable->Audio Note 4.1LE DAC->24ga Ag w/WBT0101ag ICs-> Audio Note L4 Remote->24ga Ag w/WBT0102Ag ICs-> Paramounts w/MQ Nickel Opts and EML 2a3 Mesh Plates->16ga Ag Bi Wire->Klipsch RF-7 w/DeanG Mods

Offline Chris

Reply #27 on: September 09, 2013, 04:34:34 AM
 "It would make Amsterdam look tame."     Well, before there was New York, it was called New Amsterdam.... Maybe, it was a rockin' place... I am quite familiar with the Meridian 508 player.. Nice, neutral, balanced sound...And I too, am quite satisfied with my cd playin' gear... However, I still will one day, have it all ripped onto a server like the Mac Mini... but will not sell my cd players...I will find some use for them in other rooms/systems....And having said that, I will not be buying any new cd players either... Servers and Dacs are the future for me.... uhh, and vinyl  of course...

4krow

Reply #28 on: September 09, 2013, 05:11:55 AM
 Here is my short story of a beautiful Phillips CD/DVD player. I bought it, but it developed bugs. One day it wouldn't give back a CD. I tried all kinds of stuff, except taking it apart. I turned it on, bent over close to it and whispered, "I don't want to do it, but if I have to, I will get an old set of rusty pliers. The CD is coming out one way or another...it's your choice." The CD drawer SLOWLY opened!!! No joke. I took out the CD, unplugged all of the cords, and walked the player out to the porch of my cabin. I raised above my head, violently threw it to the ground. "You can't hurt anyone anymore", I said. Later I ran over it with my 4 wheel drive, just to be sure.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #29 on: September 09, 2013, 05:58:29 AM
I would say you are a sick puppy but it worked.  Running over it is a nice touch.