Crack review on Headfonia

Doc B. · 14389

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
on: June 05, 2012, 05:33:52 AM
Thanks to Mike and Lieven for the great review!

http://www.headfonia.com/bottlehead-crack-otl-addiction/

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Sh7eleven

Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 12:11:21 PM
This review put me over the top - trigger pulled.  Pairing with some HD-600's that I'm currently running out of the headphone jack of a marantz SA-8001.

Sean Hamill

music, ski, music

Stereomour
Crack
FPIII extended

Offline Laudanum

Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 03:59:32 AM
Unless I read it wrong, the stock version was reviewed including stock tubes, no speedball and stock lytic output caps.  Crack is great stock, but the beauty is that it's tweakable to sound even better.  
Sean, you wont be dissapointed.   Now you get to enjoy the wait  ;D  

Desmond G.

Offline Chris

Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 09:54:11 AM
Yeah , he says an "entry level" ? Woo Audio sounds better at about the same price assembled?....  I would think the Crack should be its superior....

Offline wullymc

Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 11:19:19 PM
Congrats Doc on the great review on Headfonia.  Looking forward to listening to mine!

Dave
Project RPM5.1 with 2M Bronze/Graham Slee Era Gold V/Quickie with PJCSS/Paramount 1.1 300B/Woden Valiant

ODAC/Crack/DT880 600ohm

Current Project:  Beepre!!!

Offline shanman

Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 07:42:45 AM
I just wanted to add my kudos to Headfonia for doing God's work in pointing folks to great and affordable audio.  After spending significant time and coin on upgrading my Crack (see my posts) I was still frustrated with the tonal range and fidelity.  Putting her aside for (far too many) many months, I happened upon Headfonia's recommendation of the Topping D20 DAC and made the $129 plunge +39 for a decent Elpac converter.  Long story short, this DAC (via TOSLink from my PC) is the SHIT and the Crack is a now totally different animal - everything I was looking for in spades.  Thanks for the heads up Headfonia - you rock.