'ol one ear.

azrockitman · 4276

Offline Mmaxed

Reply #15 on: September 09, 2013, 11:58:05 AM
I have had tinnitus for 15-20 years.  Lippoflavinoid (sp?) helps some.  The important thing as far as music goes, is that it is smooth sounding.  Anything harsh in the upper mids or highs will set my ears off in minutes.  I keep the volume down for the most part also.  This is what brought me to tubes.  My Altecs are smoother but still with the detail.

Since we all hear differently, we need to do what works for us.

Mark

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #16 on: September 09, 2013, 12:00:08 PM
I was studying earplugs recently, in light of my soon-to-be motorcycle riding. Turns out the wax impregnated cotton ones are really good, as are good old Aearos. The ones that give better frequency response tend to have less suppression.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #17 on: September 09, 2013, 12:52:10 PM
I've had a pair of Etymotic Research plugs for years. The attenuate pretty evenly. The downside to that is it makes audience talking stand out much more. Still worlds better than the standard foam things.

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline Clark B.

• Enjoying Single Drivers & SET's since 2006
    • Blumenstein Audio
Reply #18 on: September 09, 2013, 02:12:14 PM
Etymotic ER-20.  There are other options though, like custom musicians earplugs.  I don't feel too terrible about misplacing a pair of ER-20's though at $10/pr.

4krow

Reply #19 on: September 09, 2013, 03:21:43 PM
   Excellent topic/responses! Thank you all so much for giving this valuable info to some that may not realize the dangers caused by more than just loud concerts. I worked in a factory when I was 20, and was the first to use ANY kind of hearing protection. At first, I used wet toilet paper(like Grainger), and it worked really well. Then the company bought ear plugs, but as mentioned before, they may not have been the best. I used a headset OVER the top of earplugs. I had really great hearing back then and wanted to keep it that way as long as possible. When I do use foam plugs I dampen them first, making them more effective.

Offline adamct

• Maxxximum CAPacity Crack
Reply #20 on: September 09, 2013, 03:31:55 PM
Thanks for the suggestions! I'm off to buy some of each...

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #21 on: September 09, 2013, 03:37:06 PM
Yep, back in the day, me and Greg and many others, had no concept of hearing damage. I used to "drive truck" for my dad. Those fucking trucks were loud beyond belief. We just kind of got into it. It was so loud you could talk to yourself or sing, or whatever, and the other person could not hear you. Kind like a sound isolation barrier. You could talk shit about the other person and he couldn't hear you!

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline azrockitman

Reply #22 on: September 09, 2013, 05:27:14 PM
Thanks for all the added (and warm) comments.
One thing my audiologist cautioned me about that I do believe has merit is caffeine.  Which I truly love.  :D
He told me to avoid caffeine and chocolate as it can aggravate the tinnitus.  I have personally found that to be true.  I also have found that when my personal stress level is high, that it aggravates the same.  (it would suck to get stressed out when you avoid caffein and chocolate!!!   ::)   )   But during times that it is really bugging me, I do avoid tea or diet coke.
To Clark's point, there is so little money spent on research on hearing loss in general and tinnitus specifically.  My doctor told me 7 years ago that there was no major study taking place on it, at least in this country.  It would be a real bonanza for someone to discover a truly significant cure, or even aid.

On a total side note:  The only "appliance" option that would do me any good is a "frankenstein" implant that would be bored into the side of my skull, behind the low part of my bad ear.  It's a snap on connector that allows you to snap a microphone type receiver on it.  It then transmits sound from your bad side, through your skull, and it's picked up on the other side of your skull by your good ear.  They demo'd that for me by placing an incredibly tight steel band (like a headphone assembly, only painful) that had that type of microphone/transmitter on it.  And by golly it worked.  I could hear things that were whispered on my right, but in my left ear.  Sounded kind of tinny, but it worked.  But it's little an open port to your skull when nothing is attached and you have to be careful to avoid getting it wet or dirty when nothing is plugged into it.  And get used to the Frankenstein jokes simultaneously.

All in all, I'm content with all of it and hope that anyone else that would ever incur this type of loss look down the road and understand that if you have one good ear, it's all good.   ;)

Esoteric DV-50, Technics SL1200-M3D, B&K Phono 10 Preamp, Sumiko Blue Point Special Evo III, Bottlehead Stereomour, Orca's

4krow

Reply #23 on: September 10, 2013, 07:12:55 AM
Swing, and a miss. Let's wait for a more decent appliance to arrive. If I had to, I would invite other surgeries to the cause, but I'm not sure as to what is available.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #24 on: September 10, 2013, 02:49:23 PM
Zinc is also a good mineral for the old auditory apparatus.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline Zimmer64

• Blog
Reply #25 on: September 11, 2013, 12:01:14 AM
I was very sorry to read about hearing loss and tinnitus cases. My wife has tinnitus and it drives her bonkers at times. In Germany they seem to have had good results with music therapy. Here are some links:

Article: http://www.ijcem.com/files/IJCEM1207002.pdf

Web site: http://www.dzm-heidelberg.de/

Best

Michael

Nelson Pass F5 Turbo V2, Quickie (mod), S.E.X. 2.1, Tubes4hifi SP14, Dynaco VTA ST 70, Tubelab SSE, Vroemen Diva Superiore ER4, Jordan JX92S VTL, 47 labs 0647 CD, Aqvox DAC, Rowen Absolute pre / psu / power amps, BG Neo3 / Betsy / Eminence A15 open baffles

Offline Armaegis

Reply #26 on: September 13, 2013, 05:45:02 AM
Serious question: does anyone have advice on earplugs for concerts? Something that deadens the sound levels, but keeps garbling to a minimum?

I've got some V-Moda Faders (I think that's what they're called) that do a pretty good job.