Has anyone bypassed metalized film output caps with PIO in their Crack?

Downhome Upstate · 2898

Offline Downhome Upstate

Just finished assembling my Crack this morning. Had my first long listening session with Beyer DT880/600's and Senn HD600's. No surprises there - two very different presentations and both great combinations.

I used Dayton 100 uf mkp output caps in the build. As I was rifling through a parts cabinet, I came across a pair of Sprague Vitamin Q 1 uf caps. Hmmm. What do you think about those for bypasses?

"Too soon old;
   Too late schmart"

The late Mr. Fox, Fox's Deli, Rochester, NY

Mike P.

Offline STURMJ

Only one way to find out!!
Try test leads first, that way you can try them w/o taking anything apart.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
The first Crack that I was commissioned (ca. 2003) to build had 0.1uF film and foil bypass caps on the metalized poly caps at the output.

I do not recall anything earth shattering about doing this, but the customer thought it was pretty cool!

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Downhome Upstate

The first Crack that I was commissioned (ca. 2003) to build had 0.1uF film and foil bypass caps on the metalized poly caps at the output.

I do not recall anything earth shattering about doing this, but the customer thought it was pretty cool!

-PB

Damn fine design and implementation, Paul. Thank you!

"Too soon old;
   Too late schmart"

Mike P.

Offline earwaxxer

yep - try it --- Thats the only way to know...

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline Grainger49

Mike,

They are saying, you have the caps, if you don't have jumpers go to Radio Shack and buy some and try it.

Nothing will convince you till you hear it.

Offline Downhome Upstate

Yup. Got it.

"Too soon old;
   Too late schmart"

Mike P.

Offline Downhome Upstate

I may be hallucinating, but I believe I hear fuller and richer tone to Charlie Haden's bass and Keith Jarrett's piano on the CD of "Jasmine" with the Vitamin Q caps jumpered-in.

"Too soon old;
   Too late schmart"

Mike P.

Offline earwaxxer

That seems about right... I would expect that sort of sound from that cap.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline Downhome Upstate

Next up - Siemens MKV 4.7 uf metalized poly in oil . . .

"Too soon old;
   Too late schmart"

Mike P.

Offline Downhome Upstate

Nah, forget that. With the DT880/600, this is just perfect.

"Too soon old;
   Too late schmart"

Mike P.

Offline earwaxxer

Yep,... Expensive caps are such for a reason... I have not found a "giant killer" out there that sounds as good as the boutique stuff. Thats my opinion. I have yet to spend the major big bucks, only because I'm too GD "practical". Although, I will say, Granger has surprised me, and inspired me to go the distance! If a hard core analytic like that can be swayed, maybe I will be too!

Eric

Offline Downhome Upstate

Eric,

FWIW, I meant that this amp--before a Speedball upgrade--sounds amazing to me thru the DT880/600s with only modest and inexpensive cap upgrades: the Dayton Audio 100 uf metalized polypropylene (cheap from Parts Express) and NOS Sprague Vitamin Q 1 uf PIO as bypass (available on ebay for not a lot of money). The tube damper on the 12AU7 helped, too.

It's so toe-tappin', head bobbin' good that I'm in no hurry to mess with anything else.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 06:41:49 AM by Downhome Upstate »

"Too soon old;
   Too late schmart"

Mike P.

Offline Grainger49

.  .  .    I hear fuller and richer tone    .   .   .   .   

I often see PIO caps called "Tone" caps.  It is a smoother richer sound to me.

Offline earwaxxer

It's so toe-tappin', head bobbin' good that I'm in no hurry to mess with anything else.

I love that experience! Total peace. Bliss. All is good. I'm digin it!

Eric