Speedball build questions... [solved]

StivVid · 1438

Offline StivVid

on: September 03, 2013, 05:58:35 PM
Hi, all.  This is my third Crack build, but my first with the Speedball upgrade.  I've never done any soldering of components to a circuit board--my projects have always had point to point wiring.  One problem I'm running into--and it happened on the very first joint I tried to solder--is that the solder wants to run straight through the hole in the circuit board and drip out the other side, or worse, make little balls of solder underneath the transistor cans.  What might I be doing wrong?

Also... is the hookup wire used in the Speedball kit the same wire used to build the Crack?  My parts list says there should be 2 ft. of red and 2 ft. of black teflon wire included with the Speed ball.  I ordered it with a Crack kit and am guessing that all the wire is bundled up together?

Thanks for your help.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 04:46:07 AM by Caucasian Blackplate »

Offline Mike B

Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 06:10:16 PM
You are using way too much heat.

The leads and pads are very small.  Touch the iron touch the solder, watch it flow, your done.

It takes way less time than soldering (3) 20g wires to a lug.

Far away from the bleeding edge

audiophileboss

Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 01:07:49 PM
No its different wire. 24 gauge solid core. Contact queen if irs not there

Offline Grainger49

Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 01:14:44 PM
I think you missed his point.  I think Mike is talking about the time required to heat the solder pad and the wire/component lead for the Speedball.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 05:23:25 AM
If the solder is falling through and balling up, I would use less heat and less solder.  You can also tilt the board up at about 45 degrees to slow the solder migration.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline StivVid

Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 07:40:21 PM
Thanks so much for all your advice.  It's all up and running now.  Eileen sent me the wire that I was missing and even sent a replacement for a resistor that I damaged.  Great customer service!  All the lights are lighting up and all voltages are measuring in the correct range.  I must have done something right, anyway.

I'm sure you're all right that I'm using too much heat and/or solder.  I got a little better at it as I went along, but I still need some more practice.  I understood Mike B's comment to mean that I'm holding the iron on the workpiece for too long and heating the joint much more than I actually need to.  I'm gonna have to break myself of that habit.

Anyway...  All done now and a serious listening session planned for tomorrow.  Really looking forward to it.

Thanks again, everyone.