Output Caps Question

DrewTube · 10512

Offline DrewTube

on: February 18, 2010, 06:16:18 AM
I'm in the process of building my Eros.  It looks like the output caps are Solen Fast Caps 1.0uF, rated at ~600V.  I happen to have a pair of Auricaps, 3.3uF, 400V.  I see that the circuit diagram shows the caps at 400V, even though the Solens that came with it are rated above 600V.  Two questions:

1 - Is a 400V rating enough or do I need to stick with something 600V+?
2- I know both the Solens and Auricaps are quality parts and there's a big subjective element here, but is the 3.3uF vs. 1.0 uF a clear improvement/better?

Thanks to all in advance.

Andrew

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 06:44:15 AM
A 400V rating will be fine, we just happen to have the 600V caps in stock for other products so that is what we supply. 3.3uF will not provide any great improvement over 1uF unless you are trying to run the Eros into a preamp with a very low input impedance. For me Auricaps sound very good right from the start, which I consider a distinct advantage (as a manufacturer). The Solens improve quite a bit with use and end up not that far behind the Auricaps with time.

Now on the other hand we were forced to listen to some brand new V-Caps a couple days ago. They sound truly great with many, many hours of break in time, but right out of the box the only word for the sound of a Teflon cap is...ouch.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 07:00:38 AM
Since Doc mentioned Teflon:

Eros Output Cap Post Mentioning Teflon Link

And for break in of Teflon, I suggest 400 hours (about 17 days):

Fastest Burn In Method Link
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 08:57:30 AM by Grainger49 »