Music Recommendations

Grainger49 · 9008

Offline Grainger49

on: February 22, 2010, 03:55:19 AM
Since there is no music or musicians forum/folder...

I have been listening to Jerry Douglas' newest release, Glide (2008), for the past four days.  It is almost as good as Skip Hop & Wobble!  For some reason it is higher priced than any other of his releases on that auction site.

There is a song sung by Travis Tritt, that I have heard on the radio several times.  I listen to a Bluegrass station.  

The recording/mastering isn't as good as previous JD releases but I'm really enjoying this CD.

These are among the "Thanks to"

AK & US, of course
John Fogerty
Paul Simon (what?)
Tony Rice and Shelby/Cobra engines (don't quite grasp this one)
Edgar Meyer (local boy), Sam Bush, Be'la Fleck (of course, all from Strength In Numbers)
Matt Lesco at Upscale Audio/Sonic Lens (?)
Russ Barenberg (no surprise here)
Drew's Market
Jim 'n Nick's BBQ

Where is Mark O'Connor?

Dan Fogelberg is listed in "those who have gone clear"  (those who have passed on)  I didn't know! JD was on Fogelberg's "Bluegrass album" High Country Snows.

I just found that as an interesting collection.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 07:47:51 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 04:48:01 AM
So far 6 views, no replies.  I know that there are other Bluegrass fans out there!

Offline Paully

Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 08:24:59 AM
Very few on your level.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 08:56:20 AM
Very few that far off plumb?  John EH from the old site was a Tony Rice fan, probably JD as well.

Where is he?

Offline Wardsweb

Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 11:58:16 AM
I'm a bluegrass rookie. Alison Krauss and some Nickel Creek for me.

Offline Paully

Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 12:27:14 PM
Well, that's the last time I try to build up your legend!

Offline Grainger49

Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 01:06:23 PM
I'm a bluegrass rookie. Alison Krauss and some Nickel Creek for me.

Jerry Douglas has been Alison Krauss' Dobro and lap steel player for about 10 years now.  You hear a lot of JD on her albums.  I have even more AK than JD.  And Nickel Creek is great too!

Offline RPMac

Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 02:14:35 PM
I've been enjoying "Undone: A Musicfest Tribute to Robert Earl Keen".

Offline Grainger49

Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 04:51:00 AM
I'm into vinyl again today.  I'm listening to The Tony Rice Unit's Manzanita.  It was recommended to me by John EH on the old forum.  (Last I heard he was in Japan.)  I would swear that the title song was also on The David Grisman Quintet album (the first).  But it isn't.

The group is pretty impressive:

Tony Rice
Jerry Douglas
David Grisman
Darol Anger
Todd Phillips
Sam Bush
Guest vocals Randy Skaggs

A second thanks to John EH.  This one is a real treasure.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 07:52:42 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Grainger49

Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 04:51:39 AM

I looked him up.  My local station probably has him in rotation.  I have a Bluegrass/Americana/Folk station here in Knoxville.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 08:43:34 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Grainger49

Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 08:42:56 AM
The last two vinyl selections have been MOFI's remasters of Santana (the first) and Abraxas.  The first LP sounded muddy and vague but Abraxas is amazing.  It reminds me of listening to it when I had tonsillitis at age 21.  That isn't recommended.  Sounds like it would be a bad memory but I loved this album, still do.

MOFI did a bang up job at keeping this remaster crisp and exact.  The images are awesome!  I just wish my ears' high frequency response was up to the percussion.  I miss the shine and tingle of the chimes.  Several instruments throughout are placed outside the speakers' positions.

I will have to get my Sansui QS-1 fixed to see if it spins around me when I play it.  Quad was fun if nothing else.  I'll bet PJ remembers Quad with a smile.

Offline Skip Pack

Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 01:15:31 PM
On Manzanita, Home from the Forest is just about my favorite bluegrass
tune of all time. Haven't heard it in a while as my Vinyl department is
defunct just now. Hopefully by the end of the year. JD's work on Dolly
Parton's The Grass is Blue is fabulous as well. He and Bela Fleck were
members of The Dreadful Snakes whose Snakes Alive! is a lot of fun.

Skip

Offline Grainger49

Reply #12 on: February 26, 2010, 01:49:19 PM
Oh, Yeah!  "Home From The Forest" is an old Gordon Lightfoot song.  That was a real treat there at the end.  John EH had recommended it.  After buying the CD I found an LP and it is pristine.  I should buy more LPs from the local guy.  He has great vinyl.  The only problem is that he his stock split between 3 different locations.

You might also like Strength In Numbers.  That is Be'la Fleck, Jerry Douglas, Mark O'Connor, Edgar Meyer and Sam Bush.

Offline RPMac

Reply #13 on: March 01, 2010, 11:37:23 AM

I looked him up.  My local station probably has him in rotation.  I have a Bluegrass/Americana/Folk station here in Knoxville.
Robert Earl lived with Lyle Lovett while they were at Texas A&M(probably about the same time you and I were in college). I listen mainly to Americana, but like a lot of the Bluegrass mention. You familiar with Cherryholms(outstanding)...saw them in concert at our local opera house.http://www.msurileycenter.com/

Offline Grainger49

Reply #14 on: March 02, 2010, 09:52:54 AM
I will need to look into Robert Earl Keen and I didn't know Lovett was an Aggie.  But did Keen and Lovett graduate in 1971?

I haven't heard of, but may have heard, Cherryholms.  But my search yielded a few samples that says I would like to hear more.  I particularly liked "Black And White" and "I Can Only Love You (So Much)."

Today I am spinning David Grisman's Dawg Grass/Dawg Jazz LP right now.  I've had it for a while but just got to putting it on.  If you know Grisman this album is listed as a solo album but the whole of the Quintet and more (Rice, Wasserman, Anger, Marshall & Douglas) is there for most of the songs.  Not to mention the guests.

If you like the original David Grisman Quintet album this will appeal to you.  It sure does to me!  I just wish I had gotten to it earlier so I could have been enjoying it more.  This is a nice thick LP, maybe 150g (?), that I bought from my favorite local dealer.  And dealer seems appropriate, this is habit forming.