Tapping sound heard in headphones

sjeffrey · 1664

Offline sjeffrey

on: October 11, 2013, 03:58:56 PM
Hey guys,
so I noticed this week that if I tap on the crack's top plate I can hear it in my right channel.  This is unaffected by the volume and doesn't go away after it being powered on for a while.  I checked all solder joints and reflowed any of them that didn't seem perfect.  The problem was still there.  If I would tap on the input tube lightly I would hear it but not on the output tube.  This was with stock tubes.

Now I was holding off on trying a GEC brown base 6as7g that I had so I figured I would try it now.  I also have and RCA clear top for with both tubes changed I was hoping it would go away.  Well now it's even worse.  I can hear the tapping and if I tap lightly on the output tube it's tapping sound is kind of echo.  Tapping on the input tube is a much lower clunk type sound.  With this setup I can also detect some of the tapping sound on the left channel.

Is all this normal?  The GEC is probably microphonic if I understand correctly what that term means.  Hopefully there's something I can do to make it better.  Even typing on my keyboard I hear it in my headphones with the GEC.

Thanks,
Stephane

Offline STURMJ

Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 04:23:18 PM
This is "normal" different tubes will display more or less microphonics. I assume the crack is on the same surface as your keyboard , ( desk or table)  you could find some squishy feet for your crack, or move it off that surface .  I recomend bright star isonodes they are about 3/8" tall and quite squishy.  There are many other options also.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 07:58:30 PM
This is normal.

The solution is to stop tapping your Crack ;)

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline palmfish

Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 09:08:33 AM
OMG, the puns and double entendres here... I cant stay away...lol

EDIT: And yes, mine does it too. I have found other things to tap.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 09:12:44 AM by palmfish »

Offline jimiclow

Reply #4 on: October 12, 2013, 10:22:19 AM
Any microphonics in the Crack is nothing compared to the Quickie.

Bottlehead Stereomour with V-cap, Mundorf, Alps
SEX 2.1- Alps, Mundorf
Stock Crack
Reduction with Mundorf, Clarity caps
Schiit Asgard, Schiit Lyr
Technics SL1200mkII
Woo WA-6
Hoyt-Bedford speakers, Fostex T90A
LCD-2, HD600, ER4P, HF5, SR60i, DT990-600, DT770-32, HFI580