Fully balanced setup

Loquah · 3318

Offline Loquah

• Accidental Tube Addict
    • Passion For Sound
on: October 11, 2013, 02:09:29 PM
Hi all,

Does the stock design of the Mainline allow for input from a balanced source or only single ended? I was wondering if the 2 sets of SE RCAs combine to accept a balanced signal when the switch is set to balanced.

Check out my reviews on YouTube - https://youtube.com/c/passionforsound

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 02:26:24 PM
Mainline's line level input is single ended. That balanced/single ended switch is for the output to the headphones. You would have to customize the amp by installing input transformers to used balanced input cabling.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Loquah

• Accidental Tube Addict
    • Passion For Sound
Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 03:46:53 PM
OK. Thanks Doc.

Happy to stay single ended on the input because I'm not modding the Mainline. I have a balanced DAC coming so was going to make up an XLR-RCA lead if there was any benefit.

Check out my reviews on YouTube - https://youtube.com/c/passionforsound

Offline Tubejack

Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 07:35:37 AM
A few years ago I built a RCA to XLR "box" that basically allowed me to go XLR to RCA, either in or out, or even RCA/RCA or XLR/XLR with a DPDT switch in each channel to allow me to play with the 'phase' of the signal - I wanted to experiment with 'absolute phase' of various input sources, etc.  I would have to look-up which Lundahl's I used.  It's a tool that has paid for itself over the years as DIY pieces moved in and out of the system, taking into account impedance, etc.

There are 10 types of people in this world,
Those that understand Binary and those that Don't!

4krow

Reply #4 on: October 12, 2013, 10:35:17 AM
Although I am intrigued by the box you have made, it is a little beyond my understanding. The part that I am unsure of is the use of transformers to produce a balanced output. I assume that they are a 1 to 1 winding ratio, but how does impedance play into the mix?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: October 13, 2013, 07:16:21 AM

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

4krow

Reply #6 on: October 13, 2013, 08:11:11 AM
Paul,

WOW  that is a keeper. I saved it to my info files for reference. Guys, this is why I stick around. Few sites offer the experience/knowledge rather than just an offhand opinion. I continue to value the BH site.

Offline Tubejack

Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 02:38:29 AM
I looked in my files and that's the AN that prompted me to build the box in 2009.  Great catch, Paul.  Thanks for the reminder. 

And I fully agree with 4krow's comment.

There are 10 types of people in this world,
Those that understand Binary and those that Don't!