Suggestions for a good solder pot/bath

xander14 · 3938

Offline xander14

on: October 28, 2013, 03:18:37 PM
Anybody have experience with various basic, low-end solder pots/baths that they can share or recommend?  Hopefully looking to spend something in the $40-50 range for one, of a quality roughly in-line with my 936 clone soldering station (i.e. I want temp control).

I want to try my hand at making my own cables & adapters, but the Cardas Litz wire I ordered seems to basically require a solder bath.  I don't really mind springing for one, it's just there doesn't seem to be as much info/opinion available about the online selection as there is about soldering stations, so I'm about a click away from ordering something return-eligible off of eBay & crossing my fingers that it won't melt a hole in my workbench:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Lead-Free-Micro-Heater-Soldering-Pot-BRAND-NEW-US-Seller-/200978910555?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ecb46cd5b

Would appreciate any advice/suggestions.

Thanks

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 12:33:53 AM
The one at the top of this search has a sale price of $29.99:
http://electronics.mcmelectronics.com/search?cataf=&view=list&w=solder+pot&x=0&y=0
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 06:51:01 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline caffeinator

Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 01:54:09 AM
I have and use one like the one at the linked sale below.  I don't know if temperature control is really that critical on a solder pot (I'm not saying it isn't - I just don't know).  This style worked just fine for tinning wire and was really handy for working with wire that had a hard to strip coating (like the clear coated copper wire; can't recall the coating material) - one quick dip and it was stripped and tinned.

Though it didn't get hot on the bottom, I usually set mine on a piece of ceramic tile in case of any mishaps, which also served to protect the benchtop.  The bottoms of them are weighted heavily enough that they don't tip over easily.

The one you posted looks nice - the low profile would be even more unlikely to tip over, of course.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hexacon-Solder-Pot-Model-545-500F-115V-Tin-Strip-Works-with-lead-free-solder-/151106731970?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item232ea9bfc2

Offline xander14

Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 09:47:54 AM
Caffeinator, it sounds like you understand some of the basic safety concerns I have with this re: tipping over & related accidents.  This just seems like a particularly dangerous thing to have on in a tight work area since it can't be put in a metal stand/holster/cage like a soldering iron but takes just as much warm up & cool down time so as to require being turned on throughout an entire work session. 

I suppose of equal concern to me as tipping over is also dropping / knocking over something nearby and splashing solder up from the pot - in that regard, the Hexacon you linked to would seem the safer of the three designs since it's got the smallest bowl dimensions required to get the job done and is a little less exposed, being slightly elevated.  I'm gonna go ahead and give that one a try.

What type of bar solder do you use with yours, btw?  Just a regular 60/40?  I'm tempted to order something lead-free.

Offline caffeinator

Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 09:25:20 AM
I understand your concerns - I thought the same when I got the solder pot I have.  It looked tippy, because it was kind of tall for it's breadth.  However, the base had enough ballast to make tipping a relatively low risk.  I placed it on a piece of ceramic tile, thinking at first the based would get hot enough to overheat the benchtop.  It doesn't, but I later decided the tile was good insurance in case of splashes or a tip-over.  I suppose one could somehow attach the thing to a broader base and make that practically impossible, but in my experience, that didn't seem necessary.

I do like that the Hexacon style has a small, narrow reservoir, as it seems less likely that things might get dropped in it.  I don't think you'll be disappointed - it does get the job done, and I've had no problems using mine.  Also, it doesn't take a lot of solder to tin wires, so there doesn't need to be much in the pot.

As to what kind of solder, I bought typical bar solder (see link), most likely 63/37 Sn/Pb.  I bought a half-dozen 1 lb bars, which should last me about 1,250 years.  As I recall, I cut a few chunks off the end of one of them, put that in the pot, and have never even had to add more.  I haven't tried any lead free solders, much less anything for the pot (especially since it's still got a plug of solder in it, and I have another 1,248 years worth somewhere in the shop) so I can't offer any useful advice there.

http://gokimco.com/kester-04-6337-0050-ultrapure-bar-solder-sn63-pb37-price-per-lb-sold-by-bar.html?___store=default&gclid=CIa6y4fpxroCFQVBQgodPQQAeQ