HiFiMAN HE-500 compared to LCD-2/3 and HD-800?

Jim R. · 8379

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
on: February 15, 2012, 03:05:00 PM
Just wondering if anybody has compared the HE-500s to the LCD-2 or 3 and the HD-800s.

I think there was a good deal to like about the LCD-2s and 3s, but bottom line is that a) they're too expensive for me, and b) they are just a bit too warm/rolled off on the top end for my tastes.  I realize that some of this may be amplifier dependent, but I heard them on a good variety of amps and the top end never really seemed to open up enough for me.  So, aside from the price and the somewhat easier load of the HE-500s, what sonic differences as compared to the other cans I mentioned can somebody tell me about?

BTW, I own HD-800s so the HE-500s would be an addition, not a replacement for them.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline mrarroyo

Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 12:09:31 AM
Hi Jim, I have spent some time with the HD800 on various occasions. It sounded superb only when driven by a top amp and with an excellent source. In my opinion when properly matched it is a hard can to beat, although it will set you back a lot of money. For example I thought it sounded its best when paired with a Luxman amp.

On the other hand I find the HE500 much more forgiving and a can I actually like better than the HD800. Currently I am driving the HE500 using their HE6 OCC balanced cable and a Red Wine Audio Isabella LFP-V w/ the new Class A balanced headphone out. This combo is fantastic, yet when I drive the HE500 with an older Musical Fidelity X-Can V2 modified by Mike (PinkFloyd) of Rock Grotto I am also very happy.

So in closing I love the HE500 and prefer it to the HD800. Good luck.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 11:03:39 AM
Thanks, Miguel.  I already have the 800s and I agree, they need the right amp to sound their best.  If I'd not heard them with the Crack at RMAF, I'd not thought them worth the money, but the Crack was a very diffeerent experience.

All the same, I'd still likee to hear the HE-500s especially after reading Tod R's impressions of it with the s.e.x. 2.0, and it seems a lot of head-fi folks like ithem with the CEntrance DAC Mini too, and I have one of those in our living room system.

I'll also be looking forward to hearing the 800s in a balanced setup with the Smack at some point.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Chris

Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 09:36:25 PM
"I'll also be looking forward to hearing the 800s in a balanced setup with the Smack at some point"...... myself as well, and when you ever do... Please let us all know about it....

audiophileboss

Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 06:44:23 AM
I own 800 and u need a phenominal amp adnsource and then even stack sr009 dont really compete