DAC ?

mp9 · 4545

Offline mp9

on: October 18, 2009, 02:52:47 PM
i'd like to connect the optical audio out (only audio out), of a LG47LH90 HDTV to my stereo system. i enjoy late night talk show music acts but am not interested in surround sound so i'll need a optical input DAC to send the signal to my stereo. i cam across a DAC board at diyaudio which raised more unanswered questions then answers - www.diyaudio.com/forums/swap-meet/152913-fs-tda1541-os-dac-kits.html

first question, does anybody here know if it'll work with the LG LH90 ?

second, i read something of a upcoming bottlehead "tube" DAC in the works and would like to know if it would be suitable for my application ?

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 06:51:03 AM
We do have a tube DAC in the works. It does have optical input and output, and will also have coax input and output in the final iteration. It's still in development so I can't really give a firm time frame for it. I'm guessing that maybe at the end of the year/early next year we may have a production prototype ready. The DAC is really intended to be used with a soundcard that has a SPDIF input so the DAC can send its clock to the soundcard, but we have found that it works nicely just hooked to the SPDIF output of a CD or DVD player too, without reclocking.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline John Swenson

Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 09:16:57 AM
The DAC in the link is very inexpensive for what it is. Its not great shakes as a DAC, there are certainly much better ones out there, but nothing anywhere near that price!

You will need a box to put the board in and power transformer, power cord and fuse.

The only compatibility issue i sthat you need to make sure your TV is set to output stereo on the digital out, not Dolby Digital or DTS. There will most likely be an item for this somewhere in the menus.

John S.

John Swenson
DAC designer
Well Tempered Record player -> Seduction
Moded Squeezebox->DIY DAC
BDT preamp->813 monster SE amp
DIY "Bazooka" Lowther speakers

Offline mp9

Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 09:24:43 AM
unfortunately there is no stereo audio out setting, LG said that it would have to be converted by a external device.

thanks for the reply.

p.s., would i run into the same problem with a behinger SRC2496 A/D&D/A converter? -

www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=248-6382&ctab=1#Tabs
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 09:45:58 AM by mp9 »

Offline anthony

Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 07:58:43 AM
We do have a tube DAC in the works. It does have optical input and output, and will also have coax input and output in the final iteration. It's still in development so I can't really give a firm time frame for it. I'm guessing that maybe at the end of the year/early next year we may have a production prototype ready. The DAC is really intended to be used with a soundcard that has a SPDIF input so the DAC can send its clock to the soundcard, but we have found that it works nicely just hooked to the SPDIF output of a CD or DVD player too, without reclocking.

Sorry to go off-topic a little here, but THAT IS SO AWESOME I'M EXCITED.