Bottlehead Kits > Reduction

Break-in time

(1/2) > >>

dacatchpole:
I recently completed the Reduction kit (first diy effort) and the build went well. I wanted to see if there is a generally accepted break-in time? I have approx. 20-25 hours on the unit and it has seemed to plateau, but there still seems to be a slight veiling and homogeneity to the sound (especially noticeable on woodwinds). Is this something that I can expect to dissipate with time and, if not, what changes/upgrades would you suggest to address this?

Also, I want to congratulate the Bottlehead team on a really well put together kit. The instructions were easy to follow and it was a lot of fun to do.

corndog71:
Give it 100 hours and if you're still not satisfied then try some different tubes.

ffivaz:
Yes. And as always with BH kits, the best upgrade is the house upgrade : Integration.

Grainger49:
I would agree with Rob.  But if you still hear veiling at 50+ hours order some of the USSR Military surplus tubes.  They are clear and well detailed.  Not to mention the extra bracing makes them less microphonic, and I think adds to the depth/width of the soundstage.

Paul Birkeland:

--- Quote from: Grainger49 on November 17, 2013, 01:47:23 AM ---I would agree with Rob.  But if you still hear veiling at 50+ hours order some of the USSR Military surplus tubes.  They are clear and well detailed.  Not to mention the extra bracing makes them less microphonic, and I think adds to the depth/width of the soundstage.

--- End quote ---

It's funny you mention this, as these are what we have been shipping the kits with lately.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version