Thinking Green Concerning Wall Warts and PC Power Supplies

Grainger49 · 2937

Offline Grainger49

I was looking for the charger for my big flashlight today.  It uses SLA batteries so I knew I was looking for a big one.  This made me think of the wall warts that I have saved over the years.  I opened the box they are in and out spilled a **** load of wall warts and 3 Laptop power supplies.

There are all kinds of DC supplies here.  I feel like throwing them away is wasteful, but... what to do with them?  I could use one as a DC supply for my FP 2 heaters.  It doesn't hum but I guess the DC would lower the noise floor.  

What about those laptop power supplies?  A couple put out 15V at an amp.  Are they some kind of switching supply?  Is that bad for audio use?  The only other thing I can come up with is putting a DC supply on the 2A3s in each of my Paramour 1s.

How do you guys feel about these cheapies?

Offline Air

• Open wine w/ a pocketknife? No Problemo
Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 05:07:34 AM
This is an interesting question. I think there are more than a few in boxes lurking in our closets. As a group I would bet we throw very little away that wasn't fried by the last current it saw. -Chuck

Chuck McCalment    Linn TT- Seduction (C4S), EFPIII, Parabees's w/ shunt reg and DC heaters. Nava interconnects, homebrew power and speaker cables,  Homemade three way & S8's w/ ribbons for Christmas.
a Technics RS1500 that needs a little love.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 05:21:09 AM
At least I know I am not alone.

Thanks,

Offline tbbenton

Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 06:22:45 AM
At least I know I am not alone.

I use my extra thinkpad docking station power supplies for my chip amp and my DAC  They work great. 

Tom Benton