Good Tube Find For the Q

precd · 4064

Offline precd

on: November 28, 2013, 05:25:06 AM
There is a seller on eBay who has RCA 3S4s with U getters. I ordered a few pair and have found them to be the best sounding and less micro-phonic of any tube I have used with my setup. Very happy with them.  I have no affiliation with the seller whatsoever and wanted to let the Quickie owners know about the tubes. Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Adcom GFA-545
Bottlehead Quickie Preamp
Elac Debut B6
Marantz CD5004
JRiver Software
Audioquest Dragonfly

Offline KMokc

Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 02:40:27 PM
Thanks for the heads up I now have two pair coming my way!  :)

Quick Silver Mini-Mites, Decware SE-84ZS,Blumenstein Orca's,Madisound Bk-12 w/Fostex Fe-126En,Wadia 121 Digital Computer,Mydac,Schitt Loki,Apple Mac Mini,Macbook Pro,VPI Traveler,Ortofon Bronze,Lounge MM Phono,Bottlehead Seduction,HSU Sub.

Offline aragorn723

Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 03:45:17 PM
What are U getters?  I saw those on ebay too and was wondering about them..  Initially I had microphonics and with the stock tubes and thought about replacing them with the RCAs.  In what way do they sound different?  (As far as bass, mid, and treble).  Any idea when RCA made these?  Thanks,

Dave

Offline precd

Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 04:21:06 PM
The getter is that small appliance in the vaccum tube at the very top. It can be a circle, square, a "U", and other shapes I would imagine. Google it! :-)

Those particular tubes were made in 1942 and are pretty neutral sounding tubes. However they increased the sound stage quite a bit in my system with tight bass and smooth highs. The microphonics all but left and I am sure if I were to attack what is left with those ideas voiced here it would be gone completely. It is so insignificant I have not bothered with it. By the way I have my quickie spiked sitting on top of a 1 inch concrete cap block......for now. I am really thinking hard about mounting it to the wall behind my equipment.

What are U getters?  I saw those on ebay too and was wondering about them..  Initially I had microphonics and with the stock tubes and thought about replacing them with the RCAs.  In what way do they sound different?  (As far as bass, mid, and treble).  Any idea when RCA made these?  Thanks,

Dave
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 04:22:43 PM by precd »

Adcom GFA-545
Elac Debut B6
Marantz CD5004
JRiver Software
Audioquest Dragonfly

Offline aragorn723

Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 04:31:07 PM
That sounds pretty cool..  Out of curiosity is your Quickie stock?  I ordered a PJCCS so that should be coming soon.. Just curious how much the RCAs would change the stock Quickie sound.

Offline precd

Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 04:34:54 PM
Yes it is stock. Will install the PJCCS  later though.

That sounds pretty cool..  Out of curiosity is your Quickie stock?  I ordered a PJCCS so that should be coming soon.. Just curious how much the RCAs would change the stock Quickie sound.

Adcom GFA-545
Elac Debut B6
Marantz CD5004
JRiver Software
Audioquest Dragonfly

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 05:39:48 PM
Just an FYI - the getter itself has nearly 0 influence on the sound, though it is often used to designate certain production runs of certain tubes. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 07:25:33 PM
But if the getter's gone the sound can get really crappy.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline charger

Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, 01:23:05 AM
oh no!! I just ordered those tubes!!

Oppo 980H - PC - Arcam rDac- Bottlehead Quickie- Abletec ALC040 - Signal cables Atlas Element Integra-speakers cables Tellerium Q black-Martin Logan Motion 15

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #9 on: December 03, 2013, 05:22:43 AM
I misspoke, meant that if the getter flashing is gone the tube can sound bad because it will probably be gassy. Very long day yesterday.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #10 on: December 17, 2013, 10:37:38 AM
I picked up a pair of these to try, box's are labeled US Navy July 1943.

They do seem smoother sounding and more full bodied in the mids and lows vs the supplied tubes (Amperex?). The supplied ones however have more forward highs and overall sound cleaner and more transparent to me.  They really focus on opposite ends of the spectrum and compliment each other rather nicely, just as well as i cant decide which i prefer..

M.McCandless

Offline charger

Reply #11 on: December 19, 2013, 12:54:55 AM
they arrived today to me , I can confirm , sound is smooth , highs are sweets , nice voices , I like them but I ordered four of them and one was almost voiceless so i guess they are used tubes

Oppo 980H - PC - Arcam rDac- Bottlehead Quickie- Abletec ALC040 - Signal cables Atlas Element Integra-speakers cables Tellerium Q black-Martin Logan Motion 15

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #12 on: December 19, 2013, 03:52:05 AM
I had to cut the box to get them out so they are definitely unused NOS.  It felt so wrong having to do that, they survived in storage for 70 years before i got my grubby mits on them. Amazes me to think they were manufactured before my parents were even born..

M.McCandless

Offline charger

Reply #13 on: December 19, 2013, 04:56:46 AM
i got two with sealed boxes and two open boxes  ,and one of them almost doesn't work

Offline precd

Reply #14 on: December 19, 2013, 03:01:25 PM
I had a tube that did not function either and it was in an open box. All the rest function fine. Glad they worked out for you both.

Adcom GFA-545
Elac Debut B6
Marantz CD5004
JRiver Software
Audioquest Dragonfly