Built, tested and running!

mhardyman · 2125

Offline mhardyman

on: November 24, 2013, 03:01:15 AM
This took less time than I anticipated.  The fact that I have built the Paramounts and Crack unit previously has probably helped.  Went together easily and I decided to leave it stock for now.  Tube rolling may come into play later but it sounds damn good right now!

Another fine addition to my stable!

Added December 1, 2013:  Burnt in and stable.  Extremely low noise floor, great separation and sound stage.  The Sovteks sound pretty damn good and I am not in a hurry to acquire any 2A3s at this point.  I would really like to know what kind of 12AT7 came with this as the writing is practically nonexistent and the getter flashing is very thin.  It sounds amazingly well regardless.  Kudos for a new toy! 
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 04:23:44 AM by mhardyman »

Offline Moot

Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 09:41:13 AM
I just ordered a Stereomour kit, so I love this kind of success story!

Congratulations!

Offline Fleawatt

• FLEAWATT
Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 03:19:19 PM
Both of the ones I built came with GE 12AT7's, if that means anything?
Congratulations on the build! 

Offline Grainger49

Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 02:39:03 AM
It is always gratifying for "it worked the first time" posts.  We too often get a warped view of builds just looking at the problem solving that goes on here.

I admit to helping another Bottlehead with his FP III.  We flipped it over and plugged it in, turned it off took out the tubes, made changes, and it went on like that.

Finally I was flummoxed at the problem, we were troubleshooting from the bottom and one side wasn't working.  We flipped it over and that tube wasn't in the socket. 

(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi244.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fgg7%2FGrainger49%2FSmiles%2FSlapHead.gif&hash=e5c580c3cfdf525c26703ae0328aefb586b04de5)

We went upstairs and listened to it for several hours.

Offline mhardyman

Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 03:24:03 AM
The clarity of the instructions as well as the great pictures for every step of the way really does it for me.  I have just enough OCD to be able to totally focus on things like this and follow the "One thing at a time" mantra as well as the attitude of doing that one thing right.  I have quite a collection of kits that I acquired over the years.  Some were, and still are, hopeless.  The designers who released those into the wild all assumed that one had a degree in electrical engineering.  I don't. :(

Kudos to the Bottlehead people what design these wonderful sounding musical devices that actually do what they say they do! :D

Offline Paully

Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 03:41:40 AM
The time we spent hours trying to figure out what was wrong, only to find we hadn't plugged in any tubes.  That was hilarious.

Offline mhardyman

Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 04:01:53 AM
My favorite feeling of having a monumental brain fart and when the laughter dies down a quiet little "oops" is all that's left...