Vintage Turntables

madbrayniak · 18016

Offline madbrayniak

Reply #15 on: December 06, 2013, 05:19:21 AM
I am much more inclined to spend less. However, I still want something of decent quality to last me a long time until I decide I want to upgrade.

I mention the VPI Classic and Traveler line simply due to the fact that I like their looks. I am not considering them for purchase.

Sorry, I am not great at getting across what I am thinking much of the time.

Right now the top of my list are

Micro Seiki BL51 or BL91
Thorens TD160
VPI HW19.

I have seen all of those hovering around 500 area at different times.

Offline BNAL

Reply #16 on: December 06, 2013, 08:24:19 AM
I'm using a Thorens TD 125 MkII with the TP 16 arm and Shure M97xE JICO SAS Stylus and could not be happier.

Brad Nalitt
Iron Upgraded S.E.X. Amp 2.0
Foreplay III
Quickie w/PJCCS
Eros Phono
Blumenstein Orca Speakers, Baby Benthic Subs
S.E.X.y Speakers W/FT17H Horn Tweeters
Thorens TD 125 MkII W/ Shure M97xE JICO SAS Stylus

Offline Wanderer

Reply #17 on: December 07, 2013, 03:41:25 AM
I am using a Merrill modified AR XA, SME IIIs arm mounted with Audio Technica 440MLa cartridge.

You might also want to look at later models of AR turntables. There modification/update parts available from this source:

http://vinylnirvana.com/ar-replacement-upgrade-parts/

I have purchased the replacment pulley shown here and I believe it made a noticable difference in speed stability. Poke around the site and see other suggestions for mods/updates, many DIY.     

I have no connection with David Archambault/Vinyl Nirvana other then as a customer. 

Kevin R-M

Offline Grainger49

Reply #18 on: December 07, 2013, 03:57:25 AM
Paully and I both use vintage VPI HW19s.  Mine is a no "Mk" on the serial number sticker, so first iteration.  The chassis, platter and top plate have been upgraded.

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #19 on: December 07, 2013, 06:34:17 AM
I have an original Rega Planar 3 which is around 35 years old, as far as I am concerned that's vintage.  It's a classic un-sprung turntable with belt-drive and AC synchronous motor. Introduced in 1977 according to Google. I have been quiet happy with it and its a doddle to set up and use with a very engaging sound which I like.

Its fitted with a similarly vintage P77 cartridge which is soon to be upgraded after biting the bullet for the addition of a exotic sounding Jaco SAS stylus 1 stylus, which is due to arrive any day now its been a long wait! With my growing diy confidence I have been contemplating if my new found abilities might stretch to a rewire of the original arm.

A laminated wood isolation platform/sand box is also high on the to do list, something that the Rega will sit in rather than on top of. It does not really need it but vainly it will transform it in the looks department and be much nicer to look at in the house rather than just sitting on the sideboard top as it does at the moment. It would be nice if it also helps with the sound. There is a reasonable upgrade path of components available for those who feel the need. 

(https://www.head-fi.org/image/id/5405402/width/900/height/900/flags/LL)

(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fcdn.head-fi.org%2F7%2F7b%2F900x900px-LL-7bb47278_007.jpeg&hash=47c72a08ada763e1df8b4a9905789d36049bc7ed)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 07:25:37 AM by JamieMcC »

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline Brent

Reply #20 on: December 08, 2013, 10:01:19 AM
http://uturnaudio.com/turntables/

No affiliation and no experience with them, but these look interesting for a pretty low investment. And easy to use out of the box, presumably. Pretty much a Rega clone: probably not as nice, but also much cheaper.

I use and really like a heavily modified Lenco, but I wouldn't recommend it as a starting point based on the time, money, and experience needed to get it where I want it performance wise.
Brent

Offline madbrayniak

Reply #21 on: December 09, 2013, 05:48:53 AM
Thanks for the U-Turn page, I have never heard of them before.

I see 35 years old as vintage as well for that Planar 3.

The main reason I want vintage tables is because of the fact that so many of your entry tables seem to be much more limited as far as how you can upgrade them. Atleast when you look at getting a new table like the Project Carbon Debut for instance.

I want to be able to mod/upgrade whatever I wind up with which is why I was looking at vintage.

Offline Brent

Reply #22 on: December 09, 2013, 07:04:43 AM
that (limited upgradability) would probably be true for the u turn too. just throwing it out there 'cuz it's so cheap but probably decent enough to get a feel for the vinyl experience.

i obviously like vintage tables too  :) . FWIW, it's possible to get a Lenco that's ready to run for maybe $300 or so, but it's a real crap shoot between a seller's description, knowledge, and what happens during packing and shipping.  & i've no experience with the arm that usually ships with them: mine came with a much less common s-arm that i used for a while before i went completely nuts disassembling and reconfiguring the turntable.

anyway, good luck.  if you're into bottlehead gear, no doubt you have at least some idea of what you'd be getting yourself into and are willing to (or will just plain enjoy) getting it to work the way you want it to.

Brent

Offline Paully

Reply #23 on: December 09, 2013, 07:22:29 AM
If you do go the VPI HW route, think seriously about going up one step from the Jr so you can have an armboard.  Shouldn't put you over the $1K mark I think though I haven't looked recently.  It is nice to be able to upgrade the tonearm later if you want to and still be able to use the rest of the turntable.  The lack of an armboard on the Jr. is what kept me away from it as I was always planning on using a linear tracking arm on it.  Anyway, gives you more flexibility later.

By the way, my first turntable was a DD Realistic and cost $15 at a garage sale.  Worked fine.  Then I went to Thorens, then the VPI.

Also, if someone mentioned this and I didn't see it I apologize, but a cleaning system is going to be absolutely necessary to really enjoy your records.  It can be as cheap as a Gem Dandy (I build my own) or a Spin Clean or you can get a vacuum cleaning machine for $200 on up (unless you build your own).  As was indeed mentioned, this can get real expensive very quickly, but my personal experience is you have to have a record cleaning system.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #24 on: December 09, 2013, 07:29:36 AM
Paully is forgetting a Rega table, at least I think I remember he had one.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 12:17:52 PM by Grainger49 »

Offline Paully

Reply #25 on: December 09, 2013, 11:14:10 AM
Oh yea, that Rega.  The reason I went to Linear Tracking.

Offline madbrayniak

Reply #26 on: December 10, 2013, 08:36:41 AM
Have issues with the Rega? Your post seems to have an air of annoyance to me toward the Rega

Offline Grainger49

Reply #27 on: December 10, 2013, 08:53:44 AM
Paully went from the Rega (unsuspended) to the Thorens TD-150 (suspended).  He moved his Rega 300 arm from one to the other.  He strongly preferred the Thorens.  I don't think it was a slight to the Rega table or arm, more a preference for the suspended sound.

But it was the begging of problems with inner groove distortion.  So he went to a Souther arm very similar to the one I have had for 20+ years.

Offline Paully

Reply #28 on: December 10, 2013, 09:48:31 AM
Yea, it was inner groove distortion.  No matter how much I screwed with the anti-skate I couldn't get it fixed.  Aligned the cartridge, realigned it, and realigned it.  No good.  Putting the tracking weight up to something like 5g was the only thing that helped.  Not a long term solution.  I don't want to condemns all Regas.  Mine could have had a one off issue I couldn't locate.  And plenty of people have regular tonearms generally, and Regas specifically, that don't have this problem.  I couldn't get it licked.  Knowing Grainger I was familiar with his 80s Souther linear tracking tonearm and like it and I could afford it.  So I saved my pennies and bought VPI with the armboard so I could mount the Souther on it and knew IGD was not an issue with his.  At this point it is doubtful I would bother with anything else soon.  To better it would cost a lot, I love the linear tracker, and I personally wouldn't want a turntable without a nice screw down record clamp like the VPI has.

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #29 on: December 10, 2013, 12:01:01 PM
That's interesting Paully, I have had no trouble like that with my current arm and cartridge set up and have the tracking force set at 2.13g I could probable knock it down a fraction lower as well.

Fingers crossed switching to the new stylus which has a boron cantilever and Micro Ridge stylus, tracking should be further improved and tracking force reduce to 1.25

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!