Quickie tubes

aragorn723 · 4690

Offline aragorn723

on: December 07, 2013, 05:06:53 PM
Hi,

I'm trying to figure out what kind of 3s4 tubes came with the Quickie kit.  The labeling is green, it says 3S4 (which has a square box around it).  It also says "RT" and 6029.  Thanks!

Dave

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 07:52:46 AM
They are French made 3S4's (Amperex perhaps?)

These are some very fine tubes!

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline aragorn723

Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 03:29:47 PM
Thanks.. I like the sound a lot, it sounds really clear and detailed with my music..  Though it's tempting to try other tubes  ::)  I've heard good things about the Mullards, RCAs, and telefunkens.  Is that an easy difference to hear if you swap tubes?  This is my second tube preamp, and I haven't done any swapping yet.  The Quickie seems to make differences in recording quality very obvious (which is a good thing-good recordings sound really good, and the other ones, not so much).  How about Westinghouse tubes, are they any good?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 03:34:48 PM
Westinghouse generally bought tubes from RCA, GE, etc. and slapped their name on them, so it can be tough to classify them with any consistency. 

The nice thing about the Quickie is that even the most premium of tubes aren't much more than $10 a pop, so experimenting is pretty inexpensive. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Mike B

Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 04:04:39 PM
I ordered up 4 NOS French ones off ebay today, $25 shipped.

Far away from the bleeding edge

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 04:35:34 PM
Those are what we have been shipping with the kits lately.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline aragorn723

Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 03:44:54 PM
Westinghouse generally bought tubes from RCA, GE, etc. and slapped their name on them, so it can be tough to classify them with any consistency. 

The nice thing about the Quickie is that even the most premium of tubes aren't much more than $10 a pop, so experimenting is pretty inexpensive.

Thats interesting, how about trying to distinguish by type of getter?  I have a Westinghouse with a d getter

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 06:15:16 PM
Getters aren't all that helpful either.  Many manufacturers switched getters pretty frequently.

Is there an octagon around the "3S4"?  If so, it's an RCA.

If is a pattern of dots in close proximity to the "3S4", then you have a GE.

There are other makers with less obvious markings, but that covers the majority.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Sonido

Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 06:19:31 PM
+1 on these tubes. Also got my Quickie recently with these tubes. Really brings out another layer of detail. Honestly I don't know how that's happening, but I'm definitely hear it. Considering I'm using with my HE-500 to speaker amp setup, you can really hear the difference in details with headphones. Another I've noticed with headphones, these really increase the depth of the soundstage.

Offline aragorn723

Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 12:23:21 AM
Getters aren't all that helpful either.  Many manufacturers switched getters pretty frequently.

Is there an octagon around the "3S4"?  If so, it's an RCA.

If is a pattern of dots in close proximity to the "3S4", then you have a GE.

There are other makers with less obvious markings, but that covers the majority.

Paul,

Looks like it's an RCA!  Cool, those are supposed to be really nice.  I guess i'll have to try and find another one and try that out!  Thanks,

Dave

Offline aragorn723

Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 12:29:47 AM
+1 on these tubes. Also got my Quickie recently with these tubes. Really brings out another layer of detail. Honestly I don't know how that's happening, but I'm definitely hear it. Considering I'm using with my HE-500 to speaker amp setup, you can really hear the difference in details with headphones. Another I've noticed with headphones, these really increase the depth of the soundstage.

Listening with headphones can make a really big difference!  It factors out room acoustics with problems like standing waves, echo, etc..  Basically its like listening to a perfectly shaped and perfectly sound-treated room.. Of course some of that magic is from the Quickie too :)  I have a pair of Grado SR125s that sound really nice, which unfortunately won't work that well with the Quickie because of their 32 ohm impedance.  Might have to switch headphones or build a headphone amp eventually..

Offline charger

Reply #11 on: December 10, 2013, 06:40:22 AM
Hi,

I'm trying to figure out what kind of 3s4 tubes came with the Quickie kit.  The labeling is green, it says 3S4 (which has a square box around it).  It also says "RT" and 6029.  Thanks!

Dave

I think thay are french , there a lot of them selling on ebay , how they sound ?

Oppo 980H - PC - Arcam rDac- Bottlehead Quickie- Abletec ALC040 - Signal cables Atlas Element Integra-speakers cables Tellerium Q black-Martin Logan Motion 15

Offline aragorn723

Reply #12 on: December 10, 2013, 04:46:26 PM
Hi,

Dave

I think thay are french , there a lot of them selling on ebay , how they sound ?

The have a very clear treble and mid sound, with pretty good bass too.  The bass gets a little tighter and deeper after 20 or 30 minutes.  The soundstage is decent, not as big as the 6SN7 Cary preamp i used to have, but that may be since my Quickie doesn't have the PJCCS in it yet (just got it the other day, I can comment on that later on :)  The detail is pretty good too, there are all kinds of sounds I never heard in a bunch of recordings before too..  I would definitely recommend them!

Offline aragorn723

Reply #13 on: December 14, 2013, 10:22:19 AM
The Quickie sounds even better with the PJCCS-the soundstage got bigger, and the bass got a lot deeper..  I have 2 subs, almost no need for them!