Boston has returned...

Chris · 4622

Offline galyons

• Geary Lyons
Reply #15 on: December 22, 2013, 08:22:27 AM
Boston was no better or worse than the overly processed pop pablum of the era.  I have no idea how the band really sounded, as most of their "commercial" sound was the result of processing by the engineers.

Of course, YMMV.

Cheers,
Geary

VPI TNT IV/JMW 3D 12+Benz LP-S>  Eros + Auralic Aries + ANK Dac 4.1 >Eros TH+ Otari MX5050 IIIB2 > BeePre >Paramount 300B 7N7 > EV Sentry IV-A

Thorens TD124/Ortofon RMG-212/SPU >Seduction > Smash^Up> Paramour 45 MQ >K12's

Offline vetmed

Reply #16 on: December 22, 2013, 08:41:56 AM
With all due respect Doc, and on the basis of what you quoted I most certainly did not say that I did not understand why anyone would like it. Let me try and be clear this time. I don't care what anyone else happens to think about my musical taste, nor do I understand why anyone would be upset because other people express opinions that are contrary to their musical tastes or opinions 8)

Snowbound in the Great White North

Robert Lees

Robert Lees

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #17 on: December 22, 2013, 09:12:57 AM
Boston live in the seventies, in smaller venues like night clubs and college campus gigs was a very different experience from the studio recordings. They did have some cool electronics effects live that might be construed as over produced sound by the sound engineers. Truth is the guys were doing a lot of the effects through peddles and effects boxes. Some of the effects were designed and built by the musicians themselves.

PS I hope the comment about keeping the conversation civil wasnt aimed at me. I simply stated that I don't care for the latest album release. If that offended anyone it wasn't intentional.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 09:46:07 AM by Natural Sound »

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #18 on: December 22, 2013, 10:23:03 AM
Guys, I apologized. Obviously i was being too cautious. Carry on.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Chris

Reply #19 on: December 23, 2013, 05:05:28 AM
NOBODY here is offended whatsoever... My apologies if I came off a little harsh, which I did, I just came back from a Christmas party, and I never should post anything when feeling my "oats" if you will :).... So, NS, of course, I am not in the least offended, nor should I ever be.. As all of you said, I absolutely love people's differing opinion.. Now... what I ACTUALLY was referring to in my post was the 2 guys "reviewing" another person's VERY heartfelt work and feeling that they were entitled to pick everything Tom has done to pieces... And ALL I kept thinking was "who the hell are you guys?"...Talking about how the drum beats sucked, etc. etc.. well?? That is just how Tom (older now)is feeling as of today about the drums.. as he says , the songs are "meticulously crafted", so apparently , he is quite happy with the resulting mixes.... But, I love it when people "the 2 guys" keep comparing and telling (I guess, their followers) what they F, ing think Tom should have done with the music??/hahaha, I just say ,I would love to hear what they can produce...  anyway, they got on my nerves, because, they were acting as if they are the utmost knowledgeable regarding another person's "from the heart" musical efforts, when in turn, the creator of the music, THINKS IT IS PERFECT!!! ... THIS, was what I was trying to say... If people do not like the music, cool, they can, it is all good.. BUT, I just do not think you should go and make a formal "review" about it on the internet, just in case you turn other people away from buying.. I do not think it is right.. and they do not have the right also... IMHO ONLY..... :)..  Same goes to "reviewers who slag or act like an expert regarding audio products as if their ears are the proverbial "golden".... Designers try DAMN hard to produce quality products "usually" and people who DON'T do any designing will feel entitled to post reviews saying "it sucked, or"others are WAY better" etc... Anyway, super sorry for my rant.. I have always not liked people being critical of others' hard work just for the sake of them "thinking" they have something to "GIVE"??? to the table.. That they can be critical of what the designer or music creator WANTED to convey, NOT TRIED to convey, but WANTED!!... OK, rant is over, I guess my annoyance built up and those 2 guys just sent me over... Sorry Doc, if I was a little rude....Very much understand we are all friends and adults here...  So, in a nutshell, Tom, is very happy with his album and I just listened to it and enjoy it for what it is.. NOT 70's Boston, but, TODAY's Boston.. And as G put it,  It is a fun listen.. ok, enuff said... again, my apologies....

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #20 on: December 23, 2013, 11:30:50 AM
Hmmm... I might have to watch the video again. I don't recall the "two guys" saying that anything sucked. In fact they had some favorable things to say about it. I saw a couple of guys expressing their opinion on the latest Boston release. Nothing more and nothing less.

BTW - Im sticking to my comment about the drum mix. On a couple of tracks the drums sound "under water." So if that's the sound he was going after then he nailed it.

Offline STURMJ

Reply #21 on: December 23, 2013, 07:53:05 PM
The interesting thing about Boston's sound is that the guitarist (Tom Scholz ) designed the effects he used.  He started as a DIY guy (not really the same as us, given that he was MIT grad in mechanical engineering ) and spun this into a company, and licenses his designs to Dunlop.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scholz_Research_%26_Development,_Inc.

Offline Chris

Reply #22 on: December 27, 2013, 05:04:18 AM
He worked for Polaroid after MIT...The guy is an inventor.... And "amateurish" production is a bit harsh NS... haha, but, it is all good...
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 06:19:27 AM by Chris »