Bh dac q

xcortes · 6916

Offline xcortes

on: December 27, 2013, 05:50:53 AM
I'm sure it has been mentioned but can't find it. What's the output impedance of the upcoming dac? Thanks

Xavier Cortes

Offline John Swenson

Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 04:28:49 PM
I'm sure it has been mentioned but can't find it. What's the output impedance of the upcoming dac? Thanks

It's right around 500 ohms. There is NO active output stage, the output from the DAC drives a simple final analog RC filter, which is what mostly determines the output impedance.

John S.

John Swenson
DAC designer
Well Tempered Record player -> Seduction
Moded Squeezebox->DIY DAC
BDT preamp->813 monster SE amp
DIY "Bazooka" Lowther speakers

Offline xcortes

Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 04:29:15 PM
Thanks

Xavier Cortes

Offline Grainger49

Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 04:06:35 AM
John,

Sorry to bother you with this but I am planning to have 1.5M of unshielded cable to my Foreplay.  Would you see any problem?  I don't know the capacitance per foot for it.

Offline glynnw

Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 06:06:41 AM
Sorry if I missed it elsewhere, but do you know what the output voltage will be?

PC, J River software, opticaRendu, Schitt Ygg DAC,Tortuga Pre, Torta Radu tube buffer, Linear Tube Audio ZOTL10, Spatial Audio X5w/pair of GR Research dual 12" open baffle servo subwoofers tamed by DSpeaker Dual-Core DSP , Audience AU24 SE  spkr cable, handmade silver interconnects,

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 06:29:51 AM
Output voltage is 2V with the filter incorporated into the DAC chip, and 1V with my favorite filter, John's filter that is implemented in the FPGA.

And Grainger, the same rules about cable length as always apply to the DACs connection to other gear. It depends in part upon the input impedance of what you run the DAC into and in part upon the capacitance per foot of the cable. A 500 ohm output (same as Beepre's single ended output) is pretty low and should work with pretty much anything you throw at it.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline John Swenson

Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 02:00:32 PM
That 1V output with my filter is a temporary thing, by the time it gets into production I'll tweak the output sevel back up to near 2V level.

It can't be right at 2V level, the filter has to have a slight attenuation to deal with files that have been boosted to absolute full scale, when you run this through an upsampling filter it can actually go to a level grater than the max, which causes clipping distortion, not good. So the filter has a slight attenuation to deal with this.

When I built this filter I accidentally specified 6db instead of 1 db. I'll get this fixed when I'm doing the firmware for the production board.

John S.

John Swenson
DAC designer
Well Tempered Record player -> Seduction
Moded Squeezebox->DIY DAC
BDT preamp->813 monster SE amp
DIY "Bazooka" Lowther speakers

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #7 on: December 28, 2013, 02:26:46 PM
Thanks John, that would be a nice improvement. I have found that in my system the listening level can be just a bit shy of where I would like it to be on songs that were mastered on the low side.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline pdxgrampa

Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 03:01:43 AM
Happy New Year All.

Doc or John:
      Since the Dac Boards will be stuffed and soldered "by others",who will do Test and Burn in?   

Greg
Music Hall 5.1SE,EROS. OPPO 980HD, Music Hall 25.3 Dac. BeePre/BeeQuiet. Paramount V1.1 300B,Orca Deluxe W/ Subs/SPA250s.Stereomour W/Orca Deluxe. Crack W/Speeball(2) .Beyerdynamic 990s.Crackheadphone.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 06:45:00 AM
The boards will be programmed and tested before we ship them. We will be working the details of the process out with John. The battery charging circuit which is constructed by the builder will also have documentation for a test procedure before connecting it to the expensive DAC board.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline johnsonad

Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 06:52:04 AM
Dan, are the dimensions for the top plate set and if so, what are they?

Aaron Johnson

Offline Grainger49

Reply #11 on: December 29, 2013, 06:54:30 AM
Dan,

I had thought that the SMD components would be on the board and the through hole mount components would not.  It sounds like that is wrong.

My existing DAC uses 2 - 12V SLA batteries.  They are a +/- 12V supply when playing and in parallel to charge.  That is one large wall wart charger!

I'm getting excited about this one.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #12 on: December 29, 2013, 07:11:08 AM
The DAC board will be fully assembled. The chassis panel is 6 x 6.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline pdxgrampa

Reply #13 on: December 29, 2013, 10:40:16 AM
Thanks Doc,

One more question:
      If I understand correctly software resides in An FPGA and that is how updates will be distributed.
      Is there some form of ZIF (Zero Insertion Force) socket on the board so the elderly :) would be able to   
      R&R the part without destroying it. 

Greg
Music Hall 5.1SE,EROS. OPPO 980HD, Music Hall 25.3 Dac. BeePre/BeeQuiet. Paramount V1.1 300B,Orca Deluxe W/ Subs/SPA250s.Stereomour W/Orca Deluxe. Crack W/Speeball(2) .Beyerdynamic 990s.Crackheadphone.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #14 on: December 29, 2013, 02:14:59 PM
Yes, there is a socket.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.