Paraglow - Schottky diodes

Bryon · 8904

Online Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #15 on: May 29, 2010, 05:44:50 PM
Have you ascertained that the buzz is from the rectifiers, i.e., are you seeing a reverse recovery spike on a scope? Buzz is 99% of the time from ground loops or cable inconsistencies.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Nutube

• AudioAddicted-RefuseRehab
Reply #16 on: May 30, 2010, 02:47:02 AM
Thanks Paul-
the Digikey snap shot indicates a rectangular casing ( as oppose to the rod/typical resistor like of the UF4007).
I am aware that the silver band of the uf 4007 direction is critical. So how do I interpret  the correct direction of the Schottky? There is a silver side and a black plastic side. the 2 existing diode uf 4007 is sttached to the terminal 1-4 post.
2nd quest.
thanks

FP 1,2,3, Seduction, 45, Paramount 300B, Paraglow2A3; Dehavilland 845, Eico pp 805,Adcom 555 mono, Sota star saphire ugraded Nova motor & bearings,  Et 2.5 carbon wand on Shelter 901, Koetsu rosewood Sig., on magnesium wand, grado sumiko etc. Custom Edgarhorn with Seismic sub

Offline Grainger49

Reply #17 on: May 30, 2010, 04:42:13 AM
Have you ascertained that the buzz is from the rectifiers, i.e., are you seeing a reverse recovery spike on a scope? Buzz is 99% of the time from ground loops or cable inconsistencies.

There is a quick check to see that your buzz is from the rectifiers.  With no sound in the system turn off the amp and see if the buzz disappears before the sound completely dies away.  Once the amp is off the rectifiers are completely out of the circuit.  If the buzz continues and dies away as the power supply collapses it comes from somewhere else.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #18 on: May 30, 2010, 10:20:56 AM
For the diode orientation, go back to the DigiKey web site and download the data sheet for the Schottky diodes. It will have pictures and/or drawings that indicate which is which. And lots more information, which you might find interesting!

Paul Joppa